Thread: Removing barrel from Brocock Atomic?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Removing barrel from Brocock Atomic?

Has anyone removed the barrel from their Atomic?

Is it possible? Easy? Absolute nightmare?

Wouldn't mind a few clues before I get stuck in, thanks
    Good deals with these members

It may be possible, but I don't recommend it unless you're rather adventurous mechanically. My Atomic's barrel turned slightly, maybe 2 or 3 degrees, when tightening on a suppressor. I was quite startled and a bit annoyed by this and have resolved the issue by drilling 2 holes 7mm deep and 1cm apart near the front of the aluminum upper, through the steel shroud and slightly into the barrel, tapped these holes with a 10-32 tap, and used Loctite while putting in two stainless steel set screws very firmly. No more barrel rotation. I've come across one or two forum postings stating that the barrel is a press-fit with Loctite. Doesn't seem very sound, especially considering the barrel hole in the upper actually goes through slightly into the cylinder bore for the front 3cm or so - slightly sloppy machine work there though it doesn't harm functionality - so the mounting isn't all that solid. Of course I measured very carefully before drilling to be sure I wasn't close enough to distort the bore with pressure from the screws. Anyway, from the amount of force it took to move my barrel I'd guess you might have to heat the aluminum upper considerably to get it to expand enough to easily release the barrel shroud, while keeping the barrel/shroud cooler with a damp cloth perhaps.