Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and confused

New and confused

Hi, Like many posts for those new to target shooting, I am after a bit of equipment advice.

I am interested in 10m pistol having had a brief go at it some years back. I know the sort of pistol I would like, but my budget is around the £200 area, so the Gamo Compact keeps coming up as a good starting point, (so long as the trigger mod it done).

I am not too precious about having new, so a good example of somthing pre-owned would be of interest. It's just a matter of 'what' the something is that I need the help with!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Modski66

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If you're happy with secondhand and you're a bit lucky, you should find a rohm or even a Drulov in your price range. Great co2 guns and very accurate. Mind you, if I see the Drulov first it's mine!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The Gamo Compact also has adjustment for the rearsight gap allowing you to set the sight picture with as much or as little light either side of the foresight as you like.
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you're considering becoming competitive in the sport I would stongly recommend joining a local club before spending any money just yet.
    Most clubs will have club guns you can try and if you're lucky a member may be selling something affordable as they either dispose of older guns or upgrade themselves.
    Remember that 5 shot guns cannot be used in 10m precision competitions unless you load them singley (a pain in the arse)
    My opinions are:
    Gamo Compacts are seldom bettered at their price point, especially if bought S/H (you won't lose out when you want to upgrade)
    Spend a tad more and the following may be within reach S/H...
    If you can find one FAS AP604's are v. good with superb triggers particularly with the adjustable palm shelf.
    Baikal IZH-46M's are very good too.
    Not forgetting the FWB 65/80/90 which are all still very capable and extremely long lasting.
    Oh, and personally I wouldn't touch the Rohm's...

Less Confused

Many thanks for the replies, I am waiting to hear from my local club and fully intend to try what I can get my hands on before parting with any cash.

Having tried a FWB 65 a long time ago, the experience has stayed with me - enough to know the HW40 and the Gamo I looked at recently had a much firmer trigger pull, but the Gamo did seem to feel closer, but mainly because of the grip.

I now have a few more options to investigate that I was unaware of, many thanks!

Cheers,

Modski66.

im in the same boat as you at the moment i have the hw45 which i use at the moment which is good fun but no taregt pistol.im thinking of getting a gamo compact but then i msay just got buy a steyr and have done with it. as to what you should do id get a gamo get the trigger sorted have change in your pocket to buy a nice case and pellets the good thing with the gamo is it is a self contained pistol so doesnt need filling bottles etc.

I haven't tried the trigger on a modified Gamo compact, so cant compare, but I have to say that I've got used to mine and currently don't find it a problem to get good groups. All three Gamo's that I own have a similar, single stage trigger, which have a clean break. Might be worth trying it first, then if you cant get on with it hand it over to Nick. All i'm saying is don't let the trigger put you off. I think its a lot of gun for the money.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I would try for FWB 65 or 80. Or look for FWB 100, 101, 102 these are SSP. Also consider Orginal (Diana) model 6G, or better 6M or even better but rare 10.
    All these I would prefer to the Gamo. I had bad experience of Gamo reliability when they were first launched. They may be better now, but once burned!
    Ian

Beeman 2004E - cheap option for starting?

I bought my lad a Beeman 2004 to start pistol shooting. it was cheap but shoots really well at 6 and 10 yards. It has a pneumatic ram not a spring, so is recoiless and is basically a copy of the Weihrauch HW40. I've had to re-seal it once, but it's not a difficult job.

I agree. The Gamo is nót a matchpistol.
    Look at FWB65, 100, etc, Diana giss system, sechand CO2 pistols from walther, Tau, etc.
    ATB,
    yana

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Avoid older GISS system guns without service history, if they go wrong it could cost you more than the purchase price to get fixed.
    The FAS 604 is very nice but the top casting isn't as robust as it could be, I've seen a few with cracks and breaks towards the rear, put me right off this otherwise lovely gun.
    Whilst the Gamo Compact isn't a match pistol out of the box, with a strip, lube, fettle and one longer screw it will perform as well as anything mentioned above, it's a little light in the nose for many, this is easily cured with stick-on wheel weights Current Gamo Compacts are perfectly reliable, a drop of oil every couple of hundred pellets and storage with the valve cocked but not pressurised is all they need.
    Drulov DU-10s are as easy to load for single shot as many other single shot pistols, with the added advantage of rapid fire when you want it, I shot 1" groups at 20 Yards standing with mine, lord knows what it would have been capable of in the hands of a match shooter
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Nottingham City Rifle Club

Hi, a bit of an update, I managed to get hold of a used Compact in very good condition, I have smoothed and greased the sear and put a longer screw under the trigger, it is now a very light action with adjustment to firm it up if I need to. I am going to check the pull weight and set it to 500g so I can get some practice. If it turns out I can hit more than a barn door, I will look at something a bit more sophisticated.
    I might be just about ready to compete in Rio by then....
    The only thing I need now is to join my local club in Nottingham so I can actually use it!

Thanks for all the advice,

Cheers, Modski66.

Best of luck with your new gun, but most of all enjoy your sport!

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Hi, a bit of an update, I managed to get hold of a used Compact in very good condition, I have smoothed and greased the sear and put a longer screw under the trigger, it is now a very light action with adjustment to firm it up if I need to. I am going to check the pull weight and set it to 500g so I can get some practice. If it turns out I can hit more than a barn door, I will look at something a bit more sophisticated.
    I might be just about ready to compete in Rio by then....
    The only thing I need now is to join my local club in Nottingham so I can actually use it!

Thanks for all the advice,

Cheers, Modski66.
    Good to hear the Compact mod has been a success. What did you use to smooth the sear?
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Gamo Compact sear

Hi peteswright,

I used some fine emery on the sear and hammer contact faces and used a bit of graphite grease. It doesn't seem to need much smoothing, when I first tried it, it was truly a hair trigger.

I thought the screw thread was M4, but it is actually the same thread used on screws for light switch and socket plates...

The one thing I nearly messed up was other end of the sear spring, there is a small plastic washer over the coil that flipped off and was nearly lost! Other than that, taking out the two main parts was very straightforward.

Happy tweaking!

Cheers, M.