Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multi-shot air pistol

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    The bloke with the g10 producing less than a joule must either have a faulty chrono or a g10 in desperate need of fettling.I understand they can go to up to 300 fps,just cos that particular one doesn't is neither here nor there.
    But as it's .177 and so can fire steel bb or darts it's capable of causing a level of harm which results in it still being an air pistol, if it fired plasic bb at low power it would be airsoft & a RIF

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    But as it's .177 and so can fire steel bb or darts it's capable of causing a level of harm which results in it still being an air pistol, if it fired plasic bb at low power it would be airsoft & a RIF

- Nick
    Where is the bore size, or missile used to define an air weapon or RIF

Rather than getting into quoting long sections of the Firearms act and VCR bill - the Assoc. of Chief Police Officers and the BASC seem to sum it up quite well here: http://www.dorset.police.uk/pdf/acpo...to_vcr_act.pdf

the relevant bit is on Page 8: "The official position is that guns firing projectiles generating a KE level below one joule
    are not regarded as firearms. However, it is widely accepted that kinetic energy of more than one joule (0.74 ft-lb) is capable of lethality and most air weapons fall within this category
    ."

To me that would make a G10 a RIF as its power is generally below 1 joule (5.5gr BB @ 215-250fps)....So whilst I agree it isn't in practice painted a bright colour to comply with the VCR bill - It actually should within the letter of the law....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 30-10-2012 at 05:17 PM.

The famous Gat was/is an air pistol, even though it was very low powered and I think the current legislation simply 'forgot' to take account of older less powerful air pistols, hence the apparent confusion. Just another example of how poorly thought out the current legislation is

Ian

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Where is the bore size, or missile used to define an air weapon or RIF

Rather than getting into quoting long sections of the Firearms act and VCR bill - the Assoc. of Chief Police Officers and the BASC seem to sum it up quite well here: http://www.dorset.police.uk/pdf/acpo...to_vcr_act.pdf

the relevant bit is on Page 8: "The official position is that guns firing projectiles generating a KE level below one joule
    are not regarded as firearms. However, it is widely accepted that kinetic energy of more than one joule (0.74 ft-lb) is capable of lethality and most air weapons fall within this category
    ."

To me that would make a G10 a RIF as its power is generally below 1 joule (5.5gr BB @ 215-250fps)....So whilst I agree it isn't in practice painted a bright colour to comply with the VCR bill - It actually should within the letter of the law....

You're again quoting a GUIDE which is not THE LAW, thus meanwhile, back in the real, world it's NOT A RIF ;-)

May I remind you of BASC's technical officer's recent FUBAR over semi-auto target pistols?
    Anyone relying on a BASC legal guide that doesn't have the name of a decent lawyer attached should keep one eye over their shoulder

The lesson is that without looking at Firearms Law, the VCR Bill, Home Office Guidance and legal precedents you can quote documents untill you're blue in the face and then walk into a shop with an FEO and buy something you incorrectly concluded was illegal.

You'd be a chump to claim or believe that something currently on sale in a large proportion of UK airgun shops was illegal, even purely from the point of applied logic

- Nick

Nick

I'm not certain you right, are you suggesting that if a pistol is sub 1 Joule with a lead pellet its an airgun rather than a RIF?

I have a big pile of 6mm lead balls here on your logic all 6mm toys now become airguns?

Similarly if i put plastic 4.5mm balls in an airgun does it revert to being a RIF?

Please explain?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Nick

I'm not certain you right, are you suggesting that if a pistol is sub 1 Joule with a lead pellet its an airgun rather than a RIF?

I have a big pile of 6mm lead balls here on your logic all 6mm toys now become airguns?

Similarly if i put plastic 4.5mm balls in an airgun does it revert to being a RIF?

Please explain?

Rich
    Rich,
    My logic is that you have to look at the law, home office guidelines and the current application of the law.
    Anything that can fire a .177 dart at a significantly dangerous velocity I would like to see argued as a RIF in court - it ain't gonna happen, it will be deemed to be an air pistol and this is why it's on sale as such in the shops without prosecutions
    Stick a lead ball through any normal airsoft and regardless of power you'll have cycling problems and balls on your feet along with no significant capability to do harm
    Stick a plastic ball through an Airgun and it's still an Airgun.
    On the other hand if you run a 6mm gun with CO2 to give significant power increase the law is happy to see it sold as an air pistol.
    You have to use common sense rather than trying to be clever with documents in an attempt to prove that black is white and generally disprove reality,
    Regards,
    Nick

Rich,
    My logic is that you have to look at the law, home office guidelines and the current application of the law.
    Anything that can fire a .177 dart at a significantly dangerous velocity I would like to see argued as a RIF in court - it ain't gonna happen, it will be deemed to be an air pistol and this is why it's on sale as such in the shops without prosecutions
    Stick a lead ball through any normal airsoft and regardless of power you'll have cycling problems and balls on your feet along with no significant capability to do harm
    Stick a plastic ball through an Airgun and it's still an Airgun.
    On the other hand if you run a 6mm gun with CO2 to give significant power increase the law is happy to see it sold as an air pistol.
    You have to use common sense rather than trying to be clever with documents in an attempt to prove that black is white and generally disprove reality,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Nick

As a clued up RFD can you explain how the following two pistols would be classified:

0.9 Joule 4.5mm pistol
    0.9 Joule 6mm pistol

I would be interested to see how you arrive at your conclusions

Rich

CO2 bulk:
    Aeron had 1, the B96?, Steyr LP5, Walther, FWB?
    Best buy, best bet.
    Also, Drulov has a semi auto, as did Hammerli 30yrs ago (master?)

You can probably make a Crosman 2240 multishot, not semi auto, but think thats bulb fed only.
    ATB,
    yana

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    The AF10 is a rather lightweigh and almost feels a bit flimsy, in my opinion.

The PR15 is the 15-shot lead ball only repeater, and from what I've seen and handled (but never fired) is much more solid. Unlike the AF10, which can have pellets loaded directly into the breech, there is no such option on the PR15.

The PR45 is a single-shot only version of, essentially, the PR15 - it differs only, I'm sure, in having a different overlever/barrel assembly - with adjustable sights (PR15's are fixed) and lengthened to extend past the front of the frame. And, of course, direct access to the breech for loading.

Iain
    You are of course right. Got my PRs confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    I don't think that's the repeater variant of the Hi-Score. It had an overlever cocking mech using the whole barrel & cylinder assy. , and a peculiar rotating shutter breech that operated by twisting the big knurled ring. I had one of these pistols in the 60s, but never saw the multishot variant, which had a longer breech ring. It wasn't , IIRC, what it was cracked up to be - trigger was gruesome and creepy and the result was that it wasn't particularly accurate in the hands of anyone I knew. Its contemporary, the Slavia ZVP was a similar size but built like a miniature break-barrel rifle, with a crisp trigger and a MV which would probably take it perilously close to the limit - and I much preferred it.

Regards,
    MikB
    The first pistol on the page is the single shot version. The instructions are for the repeating version according to the poster. The picture about a third of the way down is the repeating version. If you compare it with the top picture you can see the knurled knob at the back is longer. I am not an expert on these pistols, I am only going on what the people on that forum are saying.
    I also seem to remember another pistol very much like the Hi-Score but made in china I think. I remember people telling me they were very powerful for a pistol but I never shot one so I don't know.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have just found this pistol it says its a .177 repeating pistol.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Pistols...e-gs61056.aspx

another couple of pictures here near the bottom of the page

http://www.micksguns.com/air%20pistols.htm

another picture with its magazine
    http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=6413886
    Last edited by Bjacobs571; 30-10-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added link
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    You're again quoting a GUIDE which is not THE LAW, thus meanwhile, back in the real, world it's NOT A RIF ;-)
    I was quoting FOR SIMPLICITY a document endorsed by the Assoc. of Chief Police Officers as the correct interpretation of a complex piece of LAW...So again as an RFD please quote where it specifies IN LAW that the bore size or projectile define the classification of an RIF because I haven't seen it...?
    In the real world it IS an RIF as far as I'm and the law is concerned, in practice it's one that has slipped through the multi-coloured net.

Nick

As a clued up RFD can you explain how the following two pistols would be classified:

A- 0.9 Joule 4.5mm pistol
    B- 0.9 Joule 6mm pistol

Rich
    A- Air Pistol, because there are no .177 pistols sold in the UK that require a legal defence to sell or have to be painted funny colours for sale to the general public.
    B- Airsoft because if it chronos at this UKARA members will allow you to skirmish with it, I think they use a standard weight ball for testing so I'll assume your reading is taken with that weight

Nick

0.9 Joule 4.5mm pistol
    0.9 Joule 6mm pistol

Rich
    As someone is neither clued up, nor a RFD, I would say that it was a case of exclusion.
    The latter pistol meets the criteria of airsoft, so unless modeled on a pre 1870 pistol is classed as a RIF, whereas the former doesn't, so isn't

Ian