Thread: carbine v standard

carbine v standard

hi

ime looking to get a webley xocet 177 but cant decide to go for the carbine or standard was hopeing for some views on the carbine model

advantages disadvantages mainly dose it affect power or the way the gun shoots

ime wanting to add a silencer and think the standard maybe a bit long with it added

eney view would be helpfull

Mortimer Guest
    While I prefer the looks of full length barrels, carbine is definitely the way to go if you want to fit a silencer. A full length barrel would become unwieldy and cumbersome. Power shouldn't be affected by the shorter length, and accuracy may even be better - the gun has less chance to recoil before the pellet leaves the barrrel.

I am using a variety of (borrowed) guns at the minute and intend to buy an Air Arms TX200HC in the near future.

I have the privilege of using a normal length rifle and a carbine and I must say that for the type of shooting I do I always go back to the carbine.

If you are planning a lot of stalking, shooting from hides, or generally stuffing your body into cramped spaces to conceal yourself I would recommend a carbine. They are a good bit easier to load in confined spaces.

I find them a bit more manouevrable as well as they feel less cumbersome. Some people say a carbine is as accurate as a full length barrel. The thinking behind this is that the pellet is in the barrel for less time when fired (as the barrel is shorter) and the rifle has less chance of going off target whilst the pellet is whizzing through it. Makes sense.

Plus they look really cool.

Sub Sea Sniper

I've got an Xocet XS (Carbine with silencer) and Rifle (full length) with silencer.
    The XS is far easier to handle. Slightly stiffer to cock. The Full Length is quite weildy. I've got used to it, but I know my wife can't shoot the rifle but can the carbine, and my son finds the carbine easier to shoot, because its easier to handle. (actually the carbine was bought for my son ... so its a good job really).

The power output is the same. It has been proven that a springer only needs 9 inches of barrell to get up to full power, and any more can reduce power, and can effect accuracy. Remember that with a springer the recoil is before the pellet leaves the end of the barrell so you have to hold on target, and so with a longer barrel you need to hold it still for longer.

PCPs need longer barrells to get the power on, and PCP rifles are more efficient than PCP carbines because of this.

However the Xocet is a springer, and a very good one for the money as well.

The only other thing to consider is if you intend to scope it. The rifle comes with open sights, but the carbine doesn't.

... just my 2p