Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realwood dipped guns - I hate them!!!

Realwood dipped guns - I hate them!!!

Hi,

Perhaps this is a provocative post, but I truly hate the damned things!

Am I the only one that hates them, or are there others??

I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever, why anybody would take a fine example of the gunsmiths art, and deliberately cover it with pictures of trees!!

Is it a fashion thing?? Is it really necessary??

I've been shooting for years, both as a professional, and for sport, and have never felt the need to do anything other than at times, wrap a bit of sacking/scrim scarf round the barrel.

I know a few professional shots who have nothing but contempt for them, and like I, consider them a waste of money.

Sorry about this, but what bought this on was a pic of a beautiful Ripley XL9
    completely covered, every square centimeter, and it looks absolutely awful!!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...UTF-8%26sa%3DG

It's like taking a classic Ferrari, and painting it in camouflage paint.

Again, I apologise if I have offended anybody, but it's a practice I think should be rewarded with 7 days in a padded cell

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

I am not over keen on them either, but i wouldnt let it put me off buying one if the condition of the gun was v.good.
    I saw an EV2 at last weekends interregional FT shoot at Newbury, it was a fantastic marble effect design.
    loved it. , although not literally you understand.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Seems a good way to ruin a nice gun to me.... as you say, what's wrong with a cammo sock?
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

SOT_II Guest

Lightbulb

Depends on the gun, the use, and the wood.

For turkey hunting, prolly a decent idea for an airgun? might be a good idea if you are bumbler in the woods.

One thing that is does very well, the camo will hide a scrap piece of wood AND let you charge more for it. Profit on top of profit.

Lets you be the "professional hunter" without having to hunt, your camo gun says it al...know what I mean?

soelja Guest
    i have seen 2 dipped airrifles and have to admit they do look the dogs.2 diffrent designs. 1 was real tree xtra brown and the other was advantage hardwood green.in the right hunting inviroment and the clothes that match the guns i bet they do conseal the hunter more than a nice shiny black guns action and standard dpm camo to the quarry

fanjules Guest
    I thought camo guns looked pants until I saw a photo of somebody dressed in full "sniper" gear and with a matching camouflaged gun! If concealment is your thing then I can see the appeal.

Personally, I'm a jeans type person so not my kind of thing, but I've always wanted to spec a new rifle in camo along with full matching hunters camoflage system for sheer novelty value if nothing else.

jag Guest
    I can defiantly see the benefits of having the scope and action done ,especially on a sub 12fb rifle where you want to get as close as you can to your quarry.
    But for the life of me I cannot see any advantage in trying to make a wooden stock look any more like a tree than it already does ????? '' unless it comes down to a glare problem ,which is easily rectified ''

A lot of the time it seems to be my gun that gives the game away, so I can see the sense in camouflaging that as well. But I have to agree, and I wouldn't have the heart to do this especially to a Ripley.
    Stan

well i love my pro target dipped hardwoods 20-200 the ultimate hunting air rifle
    Steyr LG110 hunter BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 6-24X40 MIL-DOT
    SHUT UP LEGS!!!!

Velocette Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Seems a good way to ruin a nice gun to me.... as you say, what's wrong with a cammo sock?
    Whats wrong with a camo sock is that it is not versatile enough. I use a pair of womens tights,,,,stick your head down one leg and poke the gun up the other,,then you get a gun sock with built in face veil. Well,,,,,it does the trick for me.

And you get to dress up in women's underwear.....!!!
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I also hate dipped guns with a passion, I like to see real natural grain I know I'm unusal but hey were all different

Alan.

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    I'm not a fan of guns dipped in "homoflauge" (ahem) but I do have a soft spot for a painted rifle like this,(scroll down a bit) or even just in a simple DPM pattern.

I wouldn't do it to a nice gun with a good stock, but I am sorely tempted to try it out on my CZ, as it is probably going to be (when it arrives) a fairly indifferent looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy006
    Everybody to there own, thats what I say. I personally hate those stupid looking match pistols. Just my opinion. I like camo'd guns, dunno why, but I like them.
    Andy,

The thing about stupid looking match pistols, is that their design is pragmatic, nothing more... it is purely functional. This is evidenced by the fact that all the current crop of pistols look the same... it's a case of function over form. Their odd looking design is part of the reason that they are so phenomenally accurate, so much more so than their arther ordinary looking predecessors. It is the same with the new crop of FT rifles, like the EV2/p70/LG100... they all look the same, ie, quite unlike a traditional rifle.

The realwood dipping however, does nothing to aid accuracy, or function. It is merely an excercise in fashion. Some may argue that it makes the gun easier to conceal, and I can't argue with that. I think that there are easier, cheaper and less 'destructive' ways of achieving gun camouflage, methods that have been tried and trusted for many years now.

I wonder how many of these camouflaged guns will be on sale in 10 years time.

As I said, this is only my opinion... call me old fashioned !!

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

They/a rifle can and very often do look pretty darn cool when they have been camo dipped,is it needed i guess not but it can only help.And like i said they do look pretty good.