Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underlever or break barrel

underlever or break barrel

Hi again, sorry for all the questions but is there any advantage to a underlever air rifle to a break barrel or is it just a personal preferance, thanks, Waggy,,

Can 'o Worms that one. Either design will work well if both the design and manufacturing are excellent, whilst either type can fail miserably if not. I find it difficult to give a general answer to the question that applies to a wide range of guns, so if you could be more specific as to which model(s) you're thinking about then the answer could be made more specific.
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

There is a traditional belief / perception that underlevers with their fixed barrels are inherently more accurate than break-barrels. This is due to the fear that the break-barrel may not return to the exact same place / angle every time it is loaded.

As the previous post says, it depends upon the design and the production quality of the rifle. You should not be put off a break-barrel rifle because of this possible cause of inaccuracy as inmy humble opinion it's a very minor issue.

Hi,

I think with modern manufacturing tolerances there's nothing in it?

Personally I've decided to go break barrel:

The break barrel design gives advantages for access to the bore, & replacing a barrel if needed.
    The underlever format introduces an extra level of complexity with the rotary breech/loading tap or whatever - something else to wear out or go wrong.

Regards

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    If both guns are quality rifles then there won't be any difference, don't worry about it.

i suppose the extra weight of the underlever can also help the gun with accuracy as its weight helps to slow wobbles and can help tame recoil slightly

As mentioned above, the "fixed-barrel accuracy" idea tends to be related more to older rifles, where on a break-barrel design it is possible to get a bit of play in the barrel hinge/lock, particularly after a lot of use. Modern engineering and materials have largely overcome this issue, though the two styles of rifle still have relative merrits and drawbacks in handling.

An underlever rifle is often a little more "front-heavy" in feel, which can help to stop the barrel kicking up so much when you shoot. A shrouded barrel can also help with this by reducing the degree to which the barrel vibrates on firing (some break-barrel rifles have a barrel shroud as well, mind you). On the other hand, a heavier front end can make the rifle more difficult to aim, particularly with tired arms from a standing position. Basically, a well built break-barrel rifle will still compete with most underlvevers in the right hands; I'd say the most important factor is probably what *you* feel most comfortable with. Some rifles just don't suit some shooters regardless of their objective quality, and equally some rifles simply feel like they were made for a particular shooter!

In the case of tap loading fixed barrels, it did not quite go as they thought. Yes the barrel is permanently aligned with the sight but the tap has to be perfectly aligned at assembly. It rarely is. Most manufacturers had a pretty good stab at getting it right but the shear aspect of limits and fits means it can never be perfect. However, the later use of fixed barrels with sliding breech covers, like the HW77/97 got around the problem with the best of both worlds. This system has to be potentially the best behind bolt loading PCP.
    Its actually quite a tall order to beat a high quality break barrel, where pellets are seated with the best possible tool yet invented..your thumb!

The only problem I've ever encountered with a break-barrel is pellets not being seated correctly and getting crushed when closing the barrel.
    I have 2 under-lever Air Arms rifles and both are incredibly accurate, not sure I'd go back to a break barrel as I'd probably end up trying to blame any bad shots or fliers on the barrel not being properly aligned/closed.

Probably just personal preference though and maybe not that much difference in terms of accuracy in modern spring rifles.

only one answer. BSA super or goldstar. personal pref.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I have always prefered fixed barrel underleaver rifles. Im in the thinking more accurate as barrel never moves.
    Ruger 1022 Tactical Custom .22lr
    CZ 452 Style .22lr
    AirArms s200 mk3 .177

generaly

Quote Originally Posted by waggywinker View Post
    Hi again, sorry for all the questions but is there any advantage to a underlever air rifle to a break barrel or is it just a personal preferance, thanks, Waggy,,
    its generaly thought that a fixed barrel ie unerlever delivers more consistent power hence is more accurate how true i dont know for sure but my air arms underlever was more consistent than my bsa break barrel thats for sure.

No difference i dont think ! maybe slightly due to the barrel not moving on the underlever

will

Me and ligntning.alex were shooting a target at 80 yards a few week ago and his HW80 matched my TX200 every step of the way.

Break or under

hi,i have both and both are accurate,(quality rifles).I prefer break barrels on ease of loading.Choice is yours.