Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV2 first impressions

Gary C Guest

EV2 first impressions

First - not going to argue and get into a pi$$ing contest so..

Took the EV2 down the range for the 1st time and the accuracy and ease of shooting was awesome. Pellet on pellet at 45 yards, half inch at 55 off the bench.

The only rifle I've shot that gets near it (MK3 - don't even go there) is the Steyr.

Of the 2 the Steyr handles better but the EV2 feels more like a rifle.

Choose between them ? I can't. But I'll keep the EV2 because of the UK back up.

Against the MK3. It's far deader to shoot than the MK3, but then again I'd prefer the MK3 for HFT in terms of pointability.

My personal choice comes down to Steyr or EV2 for FT
    MK3, Steyr or GML400 for HFT

Others no doubt will differ

Gary has yours got the latest firing valve? I don't know how you can tell, except the new valve gives quite a muted muzzle report whereas the old one gave a fair blast.

Rich

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Question

What! you taking up FT now Mr C ?

LouisCorney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Against the MK3. It's far deader to shoot than the MK3, but then again I'd prefer the MK3 for HFT in terms of pointability.
    A question out of curiosity (and because I will be buying a mk3 FT soon ) is that would the shooter's perception of "deadness" be relevant with a mk3? As I understand, because the mk3 has a significantly shorter lock time, it would mean the pellet would have left the barrel and be on it's way, the "dead" feeling only allowing you to see the target better after you've taken the shot?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a "pissing contest", just some advice before my next purchase - anyone ?

Gary, having owned and shot both the Steyr and EV, I would agree with you initial assesement. Actually, in terms of sheer accuracy I would say the Steyr has a slight edge, but wait until you have shot a couple of thousand pellets through the EV, and you are after a 55 yard target in a slight cross wind, THEN the EV really shows it's edge.

Rich, all new guns have the new valve.

Louis, don't be fooled by the hyperbole. Just because you have a fast and controlled electric Cct opening the firing valve, it does not mean the air can get out of the reg and behind the pellet any quicker. Shoot a Steyr, EV and Mk3 side by side, and you will be hard pressed to tell which is pushing the pellet out of the barrel fastest.

Gary, I hope you have fun with your EV.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NeilM
    Shoot a Steyr, EV and Mk3 side by side, and you will be hard pressed to tell which is pushing the pellet out of the barrel fastest.

Or how about a short stroked ProTarget Mk3? They're quite fast too.....

Jonathan.

MMMmmmmmmmmmm fast lock times...

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisCorney
    A question out of curiosity (and because I will be buying a mk3 FT soon ) is that would the shooter's perception of "deadness" be relevant with a mk3? As I understand, because the mk3 has a significantly shorter lock time, it would mean the pellet would have left the barrel and be on it's way, the "dead" feeling only allowing you to see the target better after you've taken the shot?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a "pissing contest", just some advice before my next purchase - anyone ?
    I am NO EXPERT. I just point and shoot. However the MK3 does have (or mine did) much more muzzle flip than the EV2 and Steyr. I am not for a minute saying it's technically less accurate, but to my mind if FEELS that way - therefore in my hands it is.

michaeladkins Guest
    Gary, I hope you dont mind me asking, but - How much was your EV2?££

Just out of interest sort of thing. Also what colour is the stock?

Michael

Gary C Guest
    Hi Michael

I paid around £700 in cash and goods to the value of to Coolermaster pro.
    I then sent it to AA for a service as I was in no rush to start FT but didn't want to start then stop to get a rifle serviced.

Stock is the grey one. Matches my skin...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilM
    but wait until you have shot a couple of thousand pellets through the EV, and you are after a 55 yard target in a slight cross wind, THEN the EV really shows it's edge.

Neil
    Neil - can you explain why this is?

Dave.

Rumplestiltskin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HotShot
    Neil - can you explain why this is?

Dave.

Obviously, the EV2 knows when it's windy and adjusts itself accordingly.

NeilM

Quote:

“Louis, don't be fooled by the hyperbole. Just because you have a fast and controlled electric Cct opening the firing valve, it does not mean the air can get out of the reg and behind the pellet any quicker. Shoot a Steyr, EV and Mk3 side by side, and you will be hard pressed to tell which is pushing the pellet out of the barrel fastest.”

There is a considerable difference between the physics of a mechanical valve and an electronic one. A mechanical action uses stored energy in a spring, the electronic action uses energy stored in a capacitor. When the mechanical hammer is at the end of its stroke it has imparted most of its kinetic energy into opening the valve and the elastic energy in the spring is mostly dissipated at this point and the valve opening speed slows down after the initial hammer contact. The electronic armature (hammer) effectively operates in reverse; the magnetic field is at its strongest at the end of the armature stroke and still accelerating as it hits the valve stem and as it opens. This results in very fast valve opening speeds giving a rapid pressure rise behind the pellet. It is similar to high profile racing camshafts in a tuned engine; high valve lifting speed as well as high valve lift is very important in achieving greater gas flow and increased power output. Valve closing speed is also affected by electronics too. The solenoid can be rapidly switched off, instantaneously removing the force opening the valve, which snaps shut and returns the armature back to its starting position. This has a two-fold advantage, it saves air and crucially, it allows the valve to self regulate. That is why lean charge CDT produces “power plateaus” rather than power curves.

I have not shot a Steyr or an EV2, but my colleagues have. They report that Mk3 action is the most inert of the three. Maybe there is some confusion with muzzle flip compensators, with one fitted to a Mk3 any noticeable muzzle flip is eliminated, I wonder if this has been mistaken for action “deadness”.

Completely disparate guns have been compared, the Steyr is a modified indoor target gun, the EV2 a purpose designed FT gun and the Mk3 is a “Luxury” hunting “all rounder” gun. The Steyr is to be applauded for its ability to compete successfully in two quite different disciplines, indoor “paper punching” and FT. I do not wish to be embroiled with an argument of which is the best, as far as I am concerned they are different, excellent guns and need to be judged by their own individual merits, applications and the shooter’s personal preferences.

In previous threads you have referred to crosswind performance without any real explanation. I find this topic intriguing, but any attempts by myself to analyse these effects have been frustrating and inconclusive. I would be interested in you thoughts.

I am disappointed that you believe that the advantages of CDT can be dismissed as “hyperbole” and I hope that in the future I can convince you that there are fundamental advantages to using magnetically operated valves.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Snook
    I am disappointed that you believe that the advantages of CDT can be dismissed as “hyperbole” and I hope that in the future I can convince you that there are fundamental advantages to using magnetically operated valves.

David
    Can't remember if I've actually shot/shot a MK3 or just tested the trigger.... Either way, me and the rabbit (or possibly just me) were completely oblivious to the engineering involved in the rifle.

It's nice that it works "better", but the acid test is whether the shooter likes it. Clearly many like the MK3. For me, it waaayyyy too heavy for hunting with. And the bloke who owned the one I shot with.

Any company that produces a rifle with hole-on-hole accuracy at 45 yards has a winner. Anyone who can produce this with a light rifle too, has a 'champion' product. Any company that has this with 30 good shots in it at FAC (.22 calibre) levels, probably has my next rifle in their factory.......

P.S, Sorry for the hijack.
    To be good, one must do good.

Coolermasterpro's EV2? Its highly likely that that was my old EV2, I cant remember who had it.

Too many deals...