Thread: Question about a used FWB 65

Question about a used FWB 65

Hello,

I'm in contact with a guy who is selling a FWB 65.

I've asked all the usual questions about the colour of the seals and does the slide work properly.

He says that the "The slide works, but does make one knock on cocking, when the slide goes to the rear, but this has no effect on its accuracy etc "

I have am a relative novice to air pistols and don't know the implications of this knocking sound.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Many Thanks

0liver
    Registered Loser

There is a sort of clicking sound on cocking as the slide goes forward and locks into place anyway. This is a little disconcerting at first until you get used to it. I suppose you'd have to cock and fire it yourself to know whether it's working normally or if something is wrong.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Mine makes a klicking sound and the slide will clonk when moving forward if the pistol is held at a certain angle (same with my FWB80)

Dear IH and Garvin,

Thank you for your replies.

His words were literally " When the slide goes to the rear ". . . and from what you are both saying it seems that this is not something that you have encountered.

I've repeatedly watched a Youtube video of someone cocking a FWB 90 and it does not seem to knock when it is cocked.

He has had it 15 years and says that it is accurate ; but having never handled one before myself, I could have it in my hand and not know if this knocking sound is the sign of a future issue or not.

I think that this is the last air gun that I will buy so I guess it would be better to go with one that does not knock.

Thanks.
    Registered Loser

As said the slide can sound a little disconcerting at first on cocking.The tendency is to cock pointing down which will cause a knock as the slide moves down.Cocking at 45% up from level should eliminate it but doesn't feel comfortable.It's how it is.

Smile The clunk is normal

Hi there,

I had an FWB 80 which clunked on cocking, it is perfectly normal, same with early FWB Rifles. It was FWBs sliding sledge design of counteracting the recoil. Other match pistols and rifles of the period (such as Original) used an opposing piston design to counteract the recoil. I believe Air Arms used the sliding sledge mechanism on one of their sporting rifles.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by windandhiss View Post
    Hi there,

I had an FWB 80 which clunked on cocking, it is perfectly normal, same with early FWB Rifles. It was FWBs sliding sledge design of counteracting the recoil. Other match pistols and rifles of the period (such as Original) used an opposing piston design to counteract the recoil. I believe Air Arms used the sliding sledge mechanism on one of their sporting rifles.

Paul.
    Thank you for getting back to me.
    Unfortunately he sold it while I was faffing about asking questions on here.
    At least I know what's what now for the next one that I see for sale.

Cheers
    Registered Loser

They are the most numerous of the FWB springers so you should spot another on here soon

Good luck with your search - they are well worth the effort