Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Upgrade Advice Required

HW45 Upgrade Advice Required

I have an HW45 and was considering either upgrading to a Silver Star/Dark Star or getting a wraparound grip, what would you recommend?

Also what would be a reasonable price to pay for one?
    Regards, Phil

A wrap around grip would be the cheapest way to go. Midway UK do some nice Hogues - rubber wrap around or rubber&wood (nice). I have found these to be more suited to my hands than the Black Star grips. Its a personal thing of course so the Black/Silver Star ones might suit you better.

Personally I dislike the finish of the Silver Star - the Black Star looks much better.

BigEars Guest
    Contoured grips certainly improved hold consistency in my case.

If your HW45 is 0.22, it requires no upgrade as it's already in a state of shooting perfection.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by discotwo View Post
    I have an HW45 and was considering either upgrading to a Silver Star/Dark Star or getting a wraparound grip, what would you recommend?

Also what would be a reasonable price to pay for one?
    I would keep your gun and get grips for it - you'll probably lose money to get a gun that you can't change the grips on - the black/dark/silver star guns have a different grip tang that does not accept 1911 grips.

Have a look on the bay of E for 1911 grips - much cheaper than Midway and with lots and lots of choice.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    If your HW45 is 0.22, it requires no upgrade as it's already in a state of shooting perfection.
    Absolutely!

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    I've just ordered some Hogue rubber wraparounds for mine, not got them yet but they look great.

I went for a bizarre colour just for fun, I'll post pics when they arrive

No point getting newer gun.
    Last edited by aston_shooter; 07-11-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks for the replies looks like the consensus is to keep it and get grips so far. However as I was able to try holding a Silver Star recently liked the grip. Would like to try the rubber wrap around as a comparison, but can't find anywhere that stocks them to try. Interested in seeing what Ashton shooters grips look like.
    By the way my HW45 is a .177
    Regards, Phil

HW45 Upgrade

Evening i am a proud owner of a HW45 with Rose wood wrap around grips and the pistol looks and feels fantastic.
    debs

Yet another vote for the grips, does nobody think it was worth getting the Silver Star or Black Star versions?
    Regards, Phil

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Quote Originally Posted by discotwo View Post
    Yet another vote for the grips, does nobody think it was worth getting the Silver Star or Black Star versions?
    I'm not a fan of the silver/black star looks, I personally prefer the standard 45.

Standard HW45 with chequered Walnut 1911-style grips....... Raw, Naked, as God intended

The Silver Star/Black Star grips feel so different to the 1911 grip, and they also feel quite different to shoot.
    I imagine for a lot of people there preference is affected familiarity.
    I found the HW45s do need some getting used to, I'm slightly more comfortable withe the 1911 grip.

A question for those who suggested wrap arounds
    Do the wrap around grips change your hold much?

Hw45

My Black Star is beautiful. So perfect for my hands that I would never want to change the grips anyway. I advise that you find a shop near you that has one n stock, go try it out and see what happens...... I bet you buy it there & then. Plus, keep your other 45, best of both

Quote Originally Posted by Unal View Post
    A question for those who suggested wrap arounds
    Do the wrap around grips change your hold much?
    I find that I can acheive a more consistent hold with them - more reference points to feel I guess. Also they are more comfortable - more so than the HW75 type fitted to the Black/Silver Star which means I can shoot more accurately for longer

Oh, and a further point about the Stars - one thing that really irritates me is the 'safety' information printed down the right side of the pistol. I looks awfull.

Have now bought a Silver Star, so will compare them both before deciding whether to keep one or both
    Regards, Phil