Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Most Important Airguns - Top Ten?

The Most Important Airguns - Top Ten?

I have been toying with the idea of a short list of the airguns one might collect because of their importance in the development of the sport and could be used to illustrate the key points in the development of the modern airgun. Here's my starter, doubtless reflecting my bias toward rifles and especially sporting rifles. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

1. A Gem, for introducing the airgun to a mass market.
    2. BSA underlever, for setting the standard for a grown-up air rifle for decades.
    3. Sheridan pumper. First US "premium" airgun. Introduced - or popularised - 20 calibre. All subsequent pumpers are attempts to improve on it, often successfully.
    4. Original Diana Model 60. First recoilless target rifle.
    5. HW80. First gun designed specifically for the "adult airgun" market (FWB Sport close second; Webley Vulcan distant third).
    6. Early 1980s Daystate. First modern PCP.
    7. Theoben Siroccco. First gas ram.
    8. HW77. Just sneaks in because it ruled FT when FT moved from a niche sport to a mainstream one, set a new bar for springers and sired the 97, TX, etc.
    9. Theoben Rapid Seven. Brought together the buddy bottle and magazine and made the PCP the hunting tool of choice.
    10. No idea. Probably a pistol (Webley Johnstone/Fearn?) or the first SSP match rifle (Anschutz? FWB?) , or something elsse I haven't thought of.

Oddly, aside from an Original 66 (improved 60), the only one I currrently own is the 77 (three of them) and that's the one I'm least sure about.

i would have the HW35 in there it spent a long time as top seller for a good reason

Original 35 Super regarded by many as first 'magnum' springer - early 70s here -

HW35, FWB first Parachute Seal, Daystate 1st pcp, possibly BSF somewhere .....

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Original 35 Super regarded by many as first 'magnum' springer - early 70s here -

HW35, FWB first Parachute Seal, Daystate 1st pcp, possibly BSF somewhere .....
    doh- you got Daystate oops a daisy !

I have five of them, six if the HW35 is included!..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I think you might need a Giffard in there, between the Gem (Quackenbush in fact) and the BSA, given the huge use of CO2

I had the FWB as close second to the 80. Back in the day, I had an FWB (still do :-)), but always felt I had to justify it to HW80 owners. Which I could, as it is better, but the 80 was the "default option". And while the 80 was undoubtedly specifically designed by Beeman and Hans W to conquer the new market, I was never sure exactly how the FWB came about - design or acccident?

I very nearly put the 35 in there, but could not be sure that for airgunners in the 1950s-1970s it actually offered anything other than a better trigger. Thinking about it, though, the classic HW sporter, parent of all the others, and first gun with the Rekord trigger ought to get it on the list.
    So, lose the 80, include the 35?

And for the pistol, I guess it would have to be whatever gave us the classic spring/pistol design used in the HW70, Diana LP5, Chinese S2, BSF S20, BSA Scorpion, Gun Toys RO71/72, etc? But what was that?

What about the BSA Meteor, who has never owned one or shot one

Top Ten

Still shooting an Original 66 in 6yrd target, still competitive and shoots flawlessly, For many the Meteor was their first introduction to air rifles, I had mine at 12 and my son still shoots it now

A top ten pistol?....The FWB Model 65, has to be the best spring pistol ever made and they say, with maintenance, they are good for half a million rounds or more.

A vote from the cheap seats:

The pump up Crosman's, pistol or rifle - the first & rather eye opening experience of recoiless shooting for most of us back when CO2 was an FAC matter

& you've got to have the Gat in there somewhere?

I think your top ten might need a few more places...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    So, lose the 80, include the 35?
    Yes, yes and thrice yes!

Sheriden pumper for pure quality and as a non spring gun; kept the masses (USA market) happy too.

HW35E as it put airgunning back on the hunting scene as a useful vermin control tool. The HW35E's accuracy with the new generation of affordable optics gave airguns the 35m plus range that shooters craved for.

HW77 took the HW35 to a new level and gave field target shooting its start in life. A Venom HW77 should be mentioned in the same breath as they proved the best and the limitations of spring guns.

Theoben Sirocco for its gas ram innovation and most importantly proved there was a market for higher cost rifles.

Early Daystate as said.

Theoben Rapid 7 as it put PCP's into hunting.

I'm sure there are earlier candidates plus more recent ones but I'll admit my knowledge beyond what I have put is limited.

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Needs.......more.......places