Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading a Cylinder Modified to use Nitro Powder/ Shotgun Primers.

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Loading a Cylinder Modified to use Nitro Powder/ Shotgun Primers.

A safety question regarding the loading of a modified revolver cylinder enabling the use of a nitro powder.
    I am referring to a cylinder made & proofed for nitro powder.

The reloading procedure appears to be as follows
    (please correct any errors & make any comments !!).

The cylinder is removed from the frame for loading.
    The back plate (which has the firing pins for the cylinders) is removed, the shotgun primers inserted & the back plate refitted.
    The primed cylinder is then either placed back in the frame or into a loading machine where the powder is put into each cylinder & the ball seated into each cylinder.
    At this step one is putting powder & a ball into a primed cylinder.
    What are the safeguards against an unwanted discharge ??.
    Three questions arise at this point
    Is a lubricated wad placed on top of the powder before the ball
    Is the ball then simply seated as far as it will go.
    Is a sealant used on top of each ball when using a nitro powder ??)

Unlike loading a centrefire round in a press where there is a hole in the shellholder & no possibility of anything resembling a firing pin coming in contact with the primer a modified cylinder has the firing pins already installed in the back plate & only requires a sharp blow to initiate a "live fire" situation.
    How is this prevented or the risk minimised ??.

Would appreciate any input from those members using/shooting a modified revolver.

Cheers
    Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Loading Procedure

I would never insert the primers before loading. Although I've never used a cylinder like this (set up for shotgun primers and using smokeless powder) I have done extensive shooting, both recreational and competitive, with a Remington Navy using standard number 10 caps and fffg blackpowder.

Shooting in competition under N-SSA rules require that the caps be put on the nipples after the powder and ball have been loaded. Doing it the other way round will surely get you disqualified for a safety violation.

However, the more I think of it, I'm inclined to wonder if the shotgun primers require a large hole at the rear of each chamber, thereby making it possible for the powder to run out while you are loading. If that is the case, I can see why you might insert the primers first.......although I still think it is dangerous to do so.

This might seem to be a pointless question, but it's aimed at the OP - where are the instructions on the correct and safe use of this firearm you seem to have acquired whilst admittedly knowing nothing at all about it?

Personally, I would be very concerned, bearing in mind that this is not the average joe's handgun, and is, as you've prolly noticed, not exactly present on ranges around the country in vast numbers.

I agree with the poster above - if you tried loading it like that on any range on which I was an RCO, you'd be taken off the firing line and re-educated very quickly.

tac

I've not seen many of these conversions but as far as I'm aware priming is the last step in the reloading sequence.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Primers last !

The primers go in last, that big hole for the primer doesn't go straight through into the cylinder.. It just the same as a primer pocket on a brass cartridge with a small flash hole in it that goes through to the powder charge thats in the front chamber of the cylinder.

1, Powder
    2, Bullet (then press them in on the press without the back on the cylinder, the press sets the depth thats why it comes with that gun, there not universal, although I have seen cylinder with collars in the chambers so that you can't press them in too far)
    3, Primer
    4, Back plate on
    5, Re-fit in gun
    6, BOOM !!!

ANY ADVICE GIVEN IS USED AT YOUR OWN RISK

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    The primers go in last, that big hole for the primer doesn't go straight through into the cylinder.. It just the same as a primer pocket on a brass cartridge with a small flash hole in it that goes through to the powder charge thats in the front chamber of the cylinder.

1, Powder
    2, Bullet (then press them in on the press without the back on the cylinder, the press sets the depth thats why it comes with that gun, there not universal, although I have seen cylinder with collars in the chambers so that you can't press them in too far)
    3, Primer
    4, Back plate on
    5, Re-fit in gun
    6, BOOM !!!

ANY ADVICE GIVEN IS USED AT YOUR OWN RISK
    I don't dispute what you are saying but that sounds more dangerous than putting them in first? In fact both loading operations sound a bit iffy.

I suppose there must be a correct way?

Something aint ringing right here.

First off the cylinder should not go in the gun till you are on the firing point, so it should not be loaded on the gun as per conventional m/l revolver.

We have a similar situation with the Patriots magazine. It seems accepted that the magazine can be pre-loaded because it is the same having loaded cartridges, as long as it goes no where near the gun off the firing point.

In my local club there only one nitro conversion which is Taurus based and its owner fully loads 3 cylinders in the clubroom so that he can shoot a recognised discipline. Yes there is added danger because of the firing pins but they are set back from the face. It would take a crazy fluke to set it off same as it would a cartridge, nothings impossible but what can you do? To load on the firing line whilst against the clock is impractical.

Think about why we load cartridges primer first, if they are gonna go off its while being inserted not while putting in powder or bullet.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Think about why we load cartridges primer first, if they are gonna go off its while being inserted not while putting in powder or bullet.
    The primers don't need to be pressed in like when you reload a cartridge, the press is only to push the bullet into the cylinder.
    The primers just drop into the holes on the rear of the cylinder, thats why shotgun primers are used because there "top hat" shaped and they just sit on a lip in the primer hole and the back plate just sits on a dowel peg, it requires no pressure, Its no more risk than when you put the caps on a BP revolver.
    The loading procedure is exactly the same as for any BP revolver you just do it with the cylinder out of the frame.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 15-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Its no more risk than when you put the caps on a BP revolver.

Thats the most dangerous stage in loading cap and ball. A grain of sand, a small burr on a nipple, a bit too much push or twist could set a cap of which is why we keep our fingers well away from the front of the cylinder when we put the cap on.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Its no more risk than when you put the caps on a BP revolver.

Thats the most dangerous stage in loading cap and ball. A grain of sand, a small burr on a nipple, a bit too much push or twist could set a cap of which is why we keep our fingers well away from the front of the cylinder when we put the cap on.
    Perfectly correct sir, and it's no more dangerous than that..... we are dealing with guns and explosives its inherently dangerous, which is a good thing ! makes you have a healthy respect for safety, makes you pay attention to what your doing and focuses your mind. Been shooting for 40 years, never took my eye off the ball, never had an incident.
    Its complacency that will get you.

First things first

You have to put the primer in first otherwise, when you push the bullet onto the powder, you will push the powder out of the primer hole.

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    You have to put the primer in first otherwise, when you push the bullet onto the powder, you will push the powder out of the primer hole.
    Not if you use something like Herco, which is a large flake type powder.

I use it in my Westlake converted Taurus, large enough for the flakes not to come out of the flash hole.

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    So are you also suggesting I should cap my BP revolver as the first stage of loading too, as its no different You don't need to compress nitro like you do black powder, 3.5g of Bullseye is a tiny amount and no where near fills the chamber, and the flash hole is tiny so the powder dosen't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    So are you also suggesting I should cap my BP revolver as the first stage of loading too, as its no different You don't need to compress nitro like you do black powder, 3.5g of Bullseye is a tiny amount and no where near fills the chamber, and the flash hole is tiny so the powder dosen't come out.
    Sir - I sincerely hope that you are not intending to shoot smokeless propellant of any kind or amount in a black powder revolver?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sir - I sincerely hope that you are not intending to shoot smokeless propellant of any kind or amount in a black powder revolver?

tac
    Apologies for my poor use of English, you are quite correct.
    I have BP and Nitro conversion revolvers and was merely trying to make the point that it is just the same for BP, when you put in the powder and ball it doesn’t push the powder out through the flash hole and you cap it last.