Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading a Cylinder Modified to use Nitro Powder/ Shotgun Primers.

Horses for courses

We are applying black power practices (with an external cap, liable to be knocked) to nitro conversions (with a primer surrounded by the metal cylinder walls).
    Loading a nitro conversion cylinder is not unlike loading ammunition - the primer goes in first and is protected from damage by the cylinder walls.
    I believe that the shotgun primers are a loose fit in the revolver conversions so they may be designed to go in last but on the Patriot pistol, which uses small pistol primers and a special loading press, you most definitely load the primer first.

Cylinders

The Patriot is a bit unique as guns go... The original question was how to load a "Cylinder Modified to use nitro" the Patriot is not a modified gun and also has no cylinder. So an explanation of how to load a Patriot will not answer the question that has been asked, and will just confuse the OP even more.

The vagaries and meanderings of this thread - now weeks old and still unresolved - probably speaks volumes for the lack of popularity of this strange anomaly of the shooting world.

So far we have not yet even come to a concensus on how to load it!

By the time that we have, and the OP has fired it, Man will be coming back from the stars.

tac

Fully Agree

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The vagaries and meanderings of this thread - now weeks old and still unresolved - probably speaks volumes for the lack of popularity of this strange anomaly of the shooting world.

So far we have not yet even come to a concensus on how to load it!

By the time that we have, and the OP has fired it, Man will be coming back from the stars.

tac
    I've got three Westlake, Kershaw and one Im not going to talk about but you are quite right sir, It has been done to death and it's time to leave this one alone

I wish you "Tight Groups" Mr Foley

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    I've got three Westlake, Kershaw and one Im not going to talk about but you are quite right sir, It has been done to death and it's time to leave this one alone

I wish you "Tight Groups" Mr Foley
    And I, in return, wish the same to you, Sir.

tac

Thumbs down wrong

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    You have to put the primer in first otherwise, when you push the bullet onto the powder, you will push the powder out of the primer hole.
    press the balls into the the cylinder on your loading tool, turn cylinder over on your loading tool, prime each chamber with powder, 2.5 grains Bullseye in my case, and then fit your shotgun primers then fit your blast cap then fit the cylinder into your pistol, all done on the firing point. enjoy

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    interesting variations on sequence...
    I wonder how much of this variation is down to the differences in the construction of the conversion
    My ROA conversion only has a single firing pin and is loaded
    cylinder off
    powder in
    bullets pressed in
    cylinder refitted
    primers inserted (pointing down range)
    gun fired

retire for coffee and pie

my only worry with this set up is a hangfire ....not had one but wouldnt be pleasant to deal with (mind fingers etc)
    Gun control means using both hands.