Thread: Varifocal spectacle wearing needing advice on sighting systems.

Varifocal spectacle wearing needing advice on sighting systems.

Hello,

I wear varifocal glasses, I have tried to use contacts but have not been successful at all in getting them in.

I am currently using air pistols. Brocock AimX .22 and a HW 45 Silver Star .177. The HW has open sights where as the AimX has none (it is fitted with a Gun Tuff sight at present.

I would like to hear from any members who wear varifocal glasses, as to what type of sighting system they are using?

Thank you for reading this, look forward to hearing from someone.

I wear varifocals as well.

With iron sights when I am plinking I just tip my head back a little and use the reading part of my glasses. When I am target shooting I have used a +0.5 pair of reading glasses worn over my normal glasses and use the middle part of the varifocal lens. I have progressed to using an iris mounted in front of my normal glasses as it really increases the depth of focus.

I also use a scoped pistol and a red dot sight with no trouble.

Diopter target rifle sights are giving me trouble as it is difficult to find a good part of the lens to look through and I finding distortion if I get it wrong.

rifle scopes don't give me any trouble.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I too use varifocals. I prefer black iron sights but can use fiber optics also. I just use the correct part of the lens to focus on front sight. I assume it will be different for each user, due to varying strengths of lenses.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I wear bifocals, but for pistol shooting I went to my opticians (Specsavers) and asked for single-vision specs which focussed on the foresight - in my case a distance of 38" from my eye. The foresight is the important focal point in pistol shooting, and it doesn't matter that the target has a slight blur. In a cheap frame it cost me £25 to have an excellent pair of shooting glasses - I just added a transluscent 'blind' on the non-shooting lens (a piece of plastic milk bottle is ideal) and saved myself the cost of an expensive shooting frame. pm me if you need more info.

Dave
    Last edited by Exfelix; 14-11-2012 at 09:12 PM.