Thread: Proposed New Scoring for MPL 2013.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anonymous but very interesting observaton.

Hi Bob

As an independant interested person I think your scoring system is spot on, now simpler, and correctly reflects the balance between the recoiling and recoilless results.

The thing your guys are missing is that a good shot perfectly executed with a recoilless pistol is still a 10.9, the recoiless system does not throw the shot at random. But a bad shot is punished more with a recoiller, what would be a 9 or 8 is helped in the fault direction by the recoil and the same fault result can be any thing from a 7 or much worse.

The last time I shot both, an LP2 compact and a Walther LP53 (now that's a serious kicker!) my 10 mt average at that time was 92 with the LP2, shooting the LP 53 after a bit of practice to get used to the 1380 gm trigger I found that the results of good shots were still 9's and 10's. But shots I would have called worse with the LP2 such as 8's or 7's were 6's or even 5's and the occasional 4 with the 53, so you can loose the handicap on one shot, but shoot well and a score including handicap of 50 or more is easily possible.

So shooting well with the LP 53 I would expect the score to be little different, but as we rarely shoot 49's or 50's with top class PCP's (even the top people don't!) even a lot of good cards have 8's and the occasional 7, and I score cards from national team shooters so I see a representative sample.

So to be totaly fair the recoil/recoilless handicap would have to be different depending on the shooters standard as the 16 points a round with a good shooter would be too much, but that is totaly impracticle, and lets face it a top class shooter is unlikly to enter or if they do then shoot it with an LP 53!

I think your suggested system of standard scoring plus 4 a card is very close to being perfect.

.. .. .. .. .. ....

I have been given permission to quote this email (anonymously) by the sender who is a very experienced and high standard air pistol shooter with some considerbale experience to share with us, and he is also someone who likes to be aware of all that goes on in the air pistol world, but is not a contributor to this forum.........so my thanks go to the sender for these well reasoned observations - your thoughts are very helpful and much appreciated.
    Last edited by zooma; 18-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.