Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Proposed New Scoring for MPL 2013.

Make it 60kg & I've got a chance

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Fat stig View Post
    I agree with +3 per card Bob but on a few occasions in this series both me & Paul have scored over 50 points on one card with the +4, maybe a max of 50 per card would be an idea so there isn't a riot when Paul breaks the 200 points total you know how "heated" it can get on here I'm shooting my FWB 65 at the min but I'm looking out for another 45 it's just more fun with a kicker
    Thanks for that John - I think +3 could be the final adjustment to the kicker scoring bonus as it is still enough to encourage and reward the use of non-recoiless pistols by levelling things up a bit without going too far.

This does mean that anyone shooting a kicker could score a possible 53 per card, and I think if anyone is able to hit five tens with any kicker at 10 metres then that is a fair reward for an exceptional achievement, and I personally look forward to seeing the first "53" MPL card........along with the first possible "50" from a recoilless shooter with a classic MPL air pistol - both could be some time coming, and my guess is that the "53" will take the longest to achive - a real challenge - even for the man with the hat !

There is already some precedent in air pistol and rifle shooting of being able to score more than the figure printed on the card as the ISU award "bonus" points for the quality of the bulls-eye scored - as many confused TV viewers noticed when watching the Olympic Games 10 meters air pistol and air rifle finals.

Regular MPL competitors that are not "super-stars" (most of us), and choose to shoot a kicker will appreciate the help that the bonus points give by adding 12 points to their 4 card result each month, and I think this is the correct balance when combined with our new scoring system as we are only seeking parity between the two types of recoilless and recoiling pistol - a very tricky balancing act indeed.

I hope this proposal will help to stop the criticisms we have had that the continue to suggest that the +4 bonus points is too generous. We will never satisfy either extreme view of the kicker bonus debate, but I think we have made the effort to strike the right balance and from now onwards the choice will simply be to use a kicker if the bonus points are that "juicy"and irresistible, and to use a recoilless if the bonus is considered to be too "mean".

Personally I think if we can agree the 3 point bonus for the next MPL season to start in July 2013, both types have some sort of scoring parity with as good a compromise as we are likely to get........and that this will be the last time this subject requires a rule change ......although it is sure to continue to cause some good debate in the future (as it has always done! ).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzi View Post
    or maybe only allow kickers so there is no advantages ,.
    And immediately loose 50+% of the competitors in the MPL.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The MPL is for all single shot spring powered and single stroke pistols.

Part of the appeal is the variety of types being used, and I think the efforts we have made to try and make a "level playing field" for everyone irrespective of the type of MPL legal pistol chosen makes it better than it would be without the kicker bonus.

Hopefully this latest proposal (+3 points per card) will be seen as better than what we have now (+ 4 points per card) and that we will never have to re-visit this bonus system again - I am hoping for a "final fix" with this one.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.