Thread: Proposed New Scoring for MPL 2013.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Best bet see what happens & drop it by a point per season untill there comes a time that Paul can't win with his centre :d so -20 for a kicker should do but then he will switch to an ssp powered by fairy dust & we will have to change the rules again. It's the 1st competition I've seen that the rules change to suit the players unless you count Fergie time make the rules & stick by them, if you want the advantage of using a kicker use one & if you can't don't bitch about the people that do having said that I do think +3 per card is plenty but as I said whatever the rules are I'll Abide by them & choose my gun accordingly

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    We have had 1 full season,so shouldn't be to hard to work the average kicker/non kicker score and set the bonus points from that.
    In fairness to Bob he drafted a set of rules for an unknown quantity and I think it's right to tweak them here and there to get the format spot on.
    I think we need to forget about Paul's scores as to count him would put the other kicker shooters at a disadvantage,his true average is about 9.1 with a £80 20 year old gun,you just have to take your hat off to that.
    Not quite sure who's bitching about kicker shooters,but then it was posted at nearly 2am
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

I think the moral here is: YOU CANT PUT A GOOD MAN DOWN.

You can just call him 'The Poison Dwarf', 'Jonesy', 'Relum Lover' 'TC1' and thats the polite ones.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    We have had 1 full season,so shouldn't be to hard to work the average kicker/non kicker score and set the bonus points from that.
    We / I Did!

I went through every card of every 2012 round from both teams and oddly enough it worked out the the kicker bonus should be +4.

I think people have just got used to shooting a "kicker" and the improved scores reflect this. But if at the end of the season people feel the bonus is too great then bob's already stated he's open to changing it.

Oh and Paul W is a freak and should have to shoot Annie Oakley style to give the rest of us a chance .

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by karandras View Post
    Oh and Paul W is a freak and should have to shoot Annie Oakley style to give the rest of us a chance .
    It wouldn't make any difference - Paul's one of those naturally talented shooters; Malcolm Cooper and Mick Meggison spring to mind - both Olympic standard.

Malcolm Cooper owned Accuracy International and shot 3 position rifle; Mick runs Kelbrook Shooting School but used to shoot rapid fire pistol, standard pistol and running boar rifle to name but 3 disciplines.......

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    It wouldn't make any difference - Paul's one of those naturally talented shooters; Malcolm Cooper and Mick Meggison spring to mind - both Olympic standard.

Malcolm Cooper owned Accuracy International and shot 3 position rifle; Mick runs Kelbrook Shooting School but used to shoot rapid fire pistol, standard pistol and running boar rifle to name but 3 disciplines.......

Mike.
    That's nothing - we have a butcher a baker and a candlestick maker ........just to mention just a few of our local talents.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That's nothing - we have a butcher a baker and a candlestick maker
    So you've got someone who can provide the means to burn a Shergar pie....... ...very, very slowly; I'm less than impressed.

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    So you've got someone who can provide the means to burn a Shergar pie....... ...very, very slowly; I'm less than impressed.

ATB
    Mike.
    If its worth having - it's worth waiting for Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fat stig View Post
    Best bet see what happens & drop it by a point per season untill there comes a time that Paul can't win with his centre :d so -20 for a kicker should do but then he will switch to an ssp powered by fairy dust & we will have to change the rules again. It's the 1st competition I've seen that the rules change to suit the players unless you count Fergie time make the rules & stick by them, if you want the advantage of using a kicker use one & if you can't don't bitch about the people that do having said that I do think +3 per card is plenty but as I said whatever the rules are I'll Abide by them & choose my gun accordingly
    We are NOT changing any of the MPL rules John - they seem to be working well enough - so the long established reasoning of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" will continue to be our guide.

I thought I had come up with a good and novel scoring system for the kickers to act as a handicap system to make them competitive with the recoilless types - but as I was advised that it was confusing for the scorers to score some cards UP and some cards DOWN I proposed and introduced this new simple scoring system that is very much easier to score as all cards are now scored UP in the same way, but I still needed to have a handicap system to encourage and support the kickers.

We are monitoring the new scoring system ( introduced to make scoring easier), and when we have enough information about how this system performs we may choose to slightly refine the bonus points so that it works as well as possible to try and provide as level a playing field as possible between the kickers and the recoilless pistols we have in use.

I would not base any proposed changes on a single talented competitors ability, any more than on a new beginners first scores, but rather try to make a considered judgement after the end of the second series - not an easy task - but something we may need to do to keep the MPL series strong and enjoyed by all in the future.

IF after this analysis of the first season of working with the new scoring system we feel that maybe the kicker bonus is slightly too generous, then a PROPOSAL will be offered here by myself for debate before any changes would be considered.

I believe this is the best way to run the MPL and to keep everyone involved (that wants to be) by giving them the opportunity to comment and offer opinion on any proposed change before any changes are made.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Don't mind me Bob just having a big wooden spoon moment I love the mpl it's been my introduction to pistol shooting & whatever happens with the scoring you can count me in hope the ccl gets as many people having a go. both on & off the range

Agreed John,and I've a new (to me)ccl pistol on route
    Home Page:

Very nice I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday ccl here we come

7 gone to Mike then?
    Home Page:

Yep it's a great little pistol but if I'm going to start doing more comps I've got to give myself the best chance I can. I shoot Bob's c10 better than anything I've picked up so unless a c20 can beat it on Tuesday "IT WILL BE MINE!!!!!" as long as I can pry it out of Bob's hands