Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Proposed New Scoring for MPL 2013.

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    7 gone to Mike then?
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Yep it's a great little pistol but if I'm going to start doing more comps I've got to give myself the best chance I can. I shoot Bob's c10 better than anything I've picked up so unless a c20 can beat it on Tuesday "IT WILL BE MINE!!!!!" as long as I can pry it out of Bob's hands

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    We have had 1 full season,so shouldn't be to hard to work the average kicker/non kicker score and set the bonus points from that.
    We / I Did!

I went through every card of every 2012 round from both teams and oddly enough it worked out the the kicker bonus should be +4.

I think people have just got used to shooting a "kicker" and the improved scores reflect this. But if at the end of the season people feel the bonus is too great then bob's already stated he's open to changing it.

Oh and Paul W is a freak and should have to shoot Annie Oakley style to give the rest of us a chance .

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by karandras View Post
    Oh and Paul W is a freak and should have to shoot Annie Oakley style to give the rest of us a chance .
    It wouldn't make any difference - Paul's one of those naturally talented shooters; Malcolm Cooper and Mick Meggison spring to mind - both Olympic standard.

Malcolm Cooper owned Accuracy International and shot 3 position rifle; Mick runs Kelbrook Shooting School but used to shoot rapid fire pistol, standard pistol and running boar rifle to name but 3 disciplines.......

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    It wouldn't make any difference - Paul's one of those naturally talented shooters; Malcolm Cooper and Mick Meggison spring to mind - both Olympic standard.

Malcolm Cooper owned Accuracy International and shot 3 position rifle; Mick runs Kelbrook Shooting School but used to shoot rapid fire pistol, standard pistol and running boar rifle to name but 3 disciplines.......

Mike.
    That's nothing - we have a butcher a baker and a candlestick maker ........just to mention just a few of our local talents.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That's nothing - we have a butcher a baker and a candlestick maker
    So you've got someone who can provide the means to burn a Shergar pie....... ...very, very slowly; I'm less than impressed.

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    So you've got someone who can provide the means to burn a Shergar pie....... ...very, very slowly; I'm less than impressed.

ATB
    Mike.
    If its worth having - it's worth waiting for Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If its worth having -
    The jury's still out on that Bob.......

Round 2 Next Week

Just a reminder to everyone - Round Two of the second series of the MPL is to be shot next week - the last week in February.

That seems to have come around again quickly this month - good luck everyone!

Kickers plus 3 points per card next time?.......The FINAL bonus change ?

The revised MPL scoring system ( all cards scored inwards) has worked very well this season and has been a benefit for all of us as it has made the scoring easy and clear cut for everyone to understand.

The third season of the MPL will start in July 2013, and the only (possible) suggested change will be the kicker bonus - as discussed here on this thread.

The debate has been good and both sides of the subject has been well represented, so can I suggest that we do keep the kicker bonus (for all the good reasons that it was devised in the first place), but revise the points bonus to +3 points per card ?

I think we have enough experience with the MPL and the revised scoring system so far to know that we all want to keep the bonus system, but that it is regarded as being a little generous at +4 points per card (plus 16 points per round).

I would like to further suggest that if we make this change to plus 3 points per card ( plus 12 points per round) that it then becomes permanent and is not put up for revision again in the future as we do still need to encourage the use of "kickers" in this series and do not want anyone to think that the bonus system will continue to be eroded further in the future.

shooting a recoiless pistol gives a vast advantage over a kicker, so im thinking the 4points is a fair amount.
    or maybe only allow kickers so there is no advantages ,then no extra points will be necessery.
    i am the master of suspense;but?

I agree with +3 per card Bob but on a few occasions in this series both me & Paul have scored over 50 points on one card with the +4, maybe a max of 50 per card would be an idea so there isn't a riot when Paul breaks the 200 points total you know how "heated" it can get on here I'm shooting my FWB 65 at the min but I'm looking out for another 45 it's just more fun with a kicker

John, it depends on whether you add 3 per card or 12 per round score as to whether you apply a limit of 50 per card.

You need to ask "the man from Del Monte" his opinion as apparently, his word is FINAL

I would never argue with "da man" Mike but I think they are scored individually, so if all goes well on a card & you master the kick you still get marked up to a max of 50 just not above. The +3 would still be there as an insentive to use kickers for most people without giving to big an advantage to the ones that prefer them.
    Most of the bonous point argument on here has been about the advantage being to much when for most new shooters it probably isn't enough, if you stick a gamo compact in a new shooters hand with a bit of training & practice groups will come quite quickly. Take that same new shooter & stick a kicker in their hand & it will take a lot longer & a lot more training to get the same result.

I agree John that any new shooters will take time to achieve consistency and the incentive of bonus points is an encouragement to use a "kicker".

The separate argument is that Paul and yourself are working within the rules of the competition and if +3 gives you a score on the occasional card in excess of 50 then don't be embarrassed about it, you're still operating on a level playing field and your scores are relative. The only advantage you both enjoy is your individual skill in shooting a "kicker" consistently well.

It's like telling Dani Pedrosa "You only weigh 57kg , so we'll put 15 kg of lead on your bike to make it fair for the others" in Moto GP.