Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW45 - other options?

secretagentmole Guest
    Crosman 1377 or 1322 medallist! Great psitols, great fun!

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I never said that they were inaccurate, just that they were not easy to shoot accurately and yes this applies to the majority of spring pistols.

How accurately though, well I suppose that depends on our definitions of accuracy I'd guess....

Rested and two-handed doesn't really test.

However, if you can put 10 consecutive shots just in the black of a standard pistol target at 10m single handed then you'll be doing very well, never mind any kind of grouping
    I partly agree, no spring pistol is particularly easy to shoot at first, well not one with any power, but I don't think the 45 is over hyped, I think it's a great pistol. It's perhaps a shade over priced when new, but at around £150 secondhand I think it's brilliant. It definitely needs aftermarket grips to get the most out of it though. I use Hogue wraparounds on mine.

Personally I like the weight, and I don't find it tricky to load, although the Hurricane is easier. They do tend to diesel but only usually on full power, and a relube can cure it if done right. I only shoot targets at fairly short distance with mine, so I only use standard power as opposed to full, it does shoot much nicer, and no dieseling.

I'd recommend the 45 to anybody, but a lot of people that are new to pistols often don't realise that it's a lot harder to shoot accurately than it is with a rifle, at least from the word go, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    if you want something that packs a hefty punch, the only options are the HW45 itself, or the alecto, or maybe the webley typhoon (the new one, not the variant of the hurricane). or one of the crosman pump jobbies. if you don't mind co2, the benjamin/sheridan EB22's up there with the HW45 as far as power is concerned.
    I wouldn't fancy living next door to someone banging away with a full power unsilenced benjamin/sheridan on a Sunday afternoon.

I have a Gamo auto 45 that is a CO2 pistol for garden plinking at the moment, I nearly always use it single shot on pellets. Don't really like BBs.

I would like something more powerful, more range etc.

My friend has the Walther CP88 type pistols, and they don't quite do it for me

I know I'm not going to use it much over the 10m mark much, although I am very interested in using one at the 20-25m mark, sometimes in the summer we can do this, all I need to do is be able to hit a 6 inch pellet trap to be happy

Short list from the comments:

HW45
    HW40 - maybe, are these more powerful than a CP88 or much the same?
    Benjamin EB22 - maybe, but needs a nicer grip!
    Not a Cometa Indian - don't really like the look.
    Crosman 1377/22 - hmmmm, maybe this or the EB22 AND the HW40...

Last edited by mrgeoff; 17-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    I wouldn't fancy living next door to someone banging away with a full power unsilenced benjamin/sheridan on a Sunday afternoon.
    Good job you dont live next door to someone with a Crosman 600 then

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    .Benjamin EP22 - maybe, but needs a nicer grip!...
    Ricks Grips in the USA do a great range and delivery is quick and reliable. IRO £30

a gamo compact is a nice light pistol that can be shot single handed or double .pretty accurate with target style grips

Had hw45's and they are good but the fwb65 or 80 is much better and less noisy and the build quality is the best I seen on any pistol so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Had hw45's and they are good but the fwb65 or 80 is much better and less noisy and the build quality is the best I seen on any pistol so far.
    I have to agree with Andy here - the build quality of the classic FWB has never been bettered

I have a Gamo auto 45 that is a CO2 pistol for garden plinking at the moment, I nearly always use it single shot on pellets. Don't really like BBs.

I know I'm not going to use it much over the 10m mark much, although I am very interested in using one at the 20-25m mark, sometimes in the summer we can do this, all I need to do is be able to hit a 6 inch pellet trap to be happy

HW45

Regarding the power HW40 vs CP88, I would say that the HW40 would be more powerful and surely more consistent. What I don't like about CO2 guns like the CP88 is that the power fades significantly after each shot and being repeaters the tendency and fun of it is to fire rapidly which make the problem worse. I watched a review on youtube by Replica Airguns and the guy chronied a full magazine of 8 pellets, the first shot registered 385fps and by the 8th shot it was down to 329fps. If you're shooting beer cans it would be OK but for more precision shooting on paper targets, the HW40 is the better deal, not to mention the added expense of Co2 cartridges of the CP88.
    Walther Dominator/Hammerli AR20FT / Webley Eclipse Mk 1/ Weihrauch HW40

Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IH View Post
    Good job you dont live next door to someone with a Crosman 600 then

well, people do live next door either side of me with my two brocock TAC revolvers- they go off with a wallop, especially the snubnose.

Quote Originally Posted by tugg View Post
    a gamo compact is a nice light pistol that can be shot single handed or double .pretty accurate with target style grips
    True, and is my favourite pistol at the moment. But it doesn't have the heft of the HW45, or the benefits( ? ) of an all metal exterior.

My old HW45 used to diesel all the time, was always uncomfortable to hold and fire, but packed a wallop on full power and would shred cans and knock water filled ones flying. Very sorry to see it go when it's time came. Great plinker, never achieved a good target score with it single handed.

An SSP would be my choice now, as others have said, the HW 40 is lovely as is the more pricey Webley Alecto. Although I am happy with my ancient Gamo Compact at the moment, I feel one of these is in my future, soon.

Good luck in your search.

HW45

GO FOR THE 45!!

Something tells me that that's the one that's most "doing it " for you.
    I love mine to bits. If I were to own only one pistol, it'd be a 45.
    The 40 is very, very accurate, but much lower power and simply doesn't have the character of the 45.
    My two Crosmans....very powerful for pistols, accurate, easy to shoot. The buzz for me with these is the stunning results you can achieve with something so cheap. But you'll not have the same sort of sense of pride of ownership.
    The Tempest is a collectible and "sweet" and very endearing.
    I could easily be tempted into adding one of the Benjamin pistols to the collection, as I love the classic looks and compact look.

But if it was just the one, it'd be the HW 45 for me, everytime.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Think im going to go try a HW40 for size first, this leaves enough budget for a EB22 as well

If I dont get on with the HW40, next on this list will probably be the Gamo Compact, as if I can find one of these cheap enough, I can still probably again stretch to the EB22 as well...

I still really want the HW45, but seems a lot for something that will never be perfect. 2 cheaper maybe the best compromise.

Cheers - Geoff.

Check out the grip on the HW40. I found it wasn't good for my hand. And the design doesn't allow an aftermarket grip to be fitted. It is also rather slick. This can be helped by adding 'stipple' to the plastic (either with a Dremel or soldering iron). That works, but devalues the pistol (should you wish to sell it on later).

Tru-glo sights: I think they're great for shooting at anything other than match cards. I didn't think I'd like them, but I did Although you may not ... HTH