Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 - other options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW45 - other options?

So been looking at a HW45, but what other options are out there? Im not liking the look of the Alecto.

While this will be for garden plinking / garden target, I don't mind spending HW45 money for something "nice"

Sure a PCP pistol would be nice, but that adds another 150 for a pump on any base price, it would have to be really nice!

Thanks.

I would go for the HW40. I went through the same dilemma of what to buy as I wanted something to shoot with in my garage and the HW40 seemed to tick all the boxes. Although the HW45 and the Alecto are next on my wish list.
    Walther Dominator/Hammerli AR20FT / Webley Eclipse Mk 1/ Weihrauch HW40

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    So been looking at a HW45, but what other options are out there? Im not liking the look of the Alecto.

While this will be for garden plinking / garden target, I don't mind spending HW45 money for something "nice"

Sure a PCP pistol would be nice, but that adds another 150 for a pump on any base price, it would have to be really nice!

Thanks.
    if you want something that packs a hefty punch, the only options are the HW45 itself, or the alecto, or maybe the webley typhoon (the new one, not the variant of the hurricane). or one of the crosman pump jobbies. if you don't mind co2, the benjamin/sheridan EB22's up there with the HW45 as far as power is concerned.

The Cometa Indian is getting on for the same power as the HW45, the trigger is quite heavy though and the sights don't have much adjustment. Despite that though, they're great plinkers, good fun and pretty accurate.

If you're happy to buy second-hand the BSA Scorpion might be a good choice.

The aforementioned Benjamin EB22 is a good fun plinker with 5ft/lb + power. Cheaper than the HW45 but with cruder trigger (improves with a shoe) and basic sights.

Cool, thanks. I will have a search on all those suggested later :-)

"if" I do go and find a club local, it needs to be something that dosnt embarrass me, so not a Cheapy crossman, but not a full target pistol either.

Cheers!

Cool, thanks. I will have a search on all those suggested later :-)

"if" I do go and find a club local, it needs to be something that dosnt embarrass me, so not a Cheapy crossman, but not a full target pistol either.

Cheers!
    Clubs are all different. At my first and second no one seemed to give a stuff whether you were shooting a cheap Umarex or Steyr match pistol. At my third, using anything but a 'proper' match pistol resulted in 'comments'. Mind you, it was good fun winding up them up by shooting a Umarex multi shot etc on occassion!

I don't know why some replies to this post suggest power over everything else, I thought what was needed was a plinker to be used in the garden not hunt buffalos.

Quote Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
    I don't know why some replies to this post suggest power over everything else, I thought what was needed was a plinker to be used in the garden not hunt buffalos.
    Depends how big his garden is!

I used to like shooting 5ft/lb+ in .22 at longer ranges - mainly HW45's

These days I am happy with between 3 - 4 ft/lb as I shoot mainly at 6 - 10 yards

If u want to smash tin cans around rather than just knock them over & still put a good group in at 10m target u won't go far wrong with the hw45,if your happy with less power & want something a little easyier to shoot the hw75 is very nice & if cost is an issue the hw40 is great for the money but stick with the real thing not a cheaper copy. Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    if you want something that packs a hefty punch, the only options are the HW45 itself, or the alecto, or maybe the webley typhoon (the new one, not the variant of the hurricane). or one of the crosman pump jobbies. if you don't mind co2, the benjamin/sheridan EB22's up there with the HW45 as far as power is concerned.
    I wouldn't fancy living next door to someone banging away with a full power unsilenced benjamin/sheridan on a Sunday afternoon.

I have a Gamo auto 45 that is a CO2 pistol for garden plinking at the moment, I nearly always use it single shot on pellets. Don't really like BBs.

I would like something more powerful, more range etc.

My friend has the Walther CP88 type pistols, and they don't quite do it for me

I know I'm not going to use it much over the 10m mark much, although I am very interested in using one at the 20-25m mark, sometimes in the summer we can do this, all I need to do is be able to hit a 6 inch pellet trap to be happy

Short list from the comments:

HW45
    HW40 - maybe, are these more powerful than a CP88 or much the same?
    Benjamin EB22 - maybe, but needs a nicer grip!
    Not a Cometa Indian - don't really like the look.
    Crosman 1377/22 - hmmmm, maybe this or the EB22 AND the HW40...

Last edited by mrgeoff; 17-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.

.Benjamin EP22 - maybe, but needs a nicer grip!...
    Ricks Grips in the USA do a great range and delivery is quick and reliable. IRO £30

a gamo compact is a nice light pistol that can be shot single handed or double .pretty accurate with target style grips

I have a Gamo auto 45 that is a CO2 pistol for garden plinking at the moment, I nearly always use it single shot on pellets. Don't really like BBs.

I would like something more powerful, more range etc.

My friend has the Walther CP88 type pistols, and they don't quite do it for me

I know I'm not going to use it much over the 10m mark much, although I am very interested in using one at the 20-25m mark, sometimes in the summer we can do this, all I need to do is be able to hit a 6 inch pellet trap to be happy

Short list from the comments:

HW45
    HW40 - maybe, are these more powerful than a CP88 or much the same?
    Benjamin EB22 - maybe, but needs a nicer grip!
    Not a Cometa Indian - don't really like the look.
    Crosman 1377/22 - hmmmm, maybe this or the EB22 AND the HW40...

Regarding the power HW40 vs CP88, I would say that the HW40 would be more powerful and surely more consistent. What I don't like about CO2 guns like the CP88 is that the power fades significantly after each shot and being repeaters the tendency and fun of it is to fire rapidly which make the problem worse. I watched a review on youtube by Replica Airguns and the guy chronied a full magazine of 8 pellets, the first shot registered 385fps and by the 8th shot it was down to 329fps. If you're shooting beer cans it would be OK but for more precision shooting on paper targets, the HW40 is the better deal, not to mention the added expense of Co2 cartridges of the CP88.