Thread: Which Air Cylinder?

Which Air Cylinder?

Hi Guys,

Lost in all the jargon for what I need to buy for an air cylinder so thought I'd get your advice. Have a Steyr LP5 (which says fill to 200bar on it although the cylinders have 300bar stamped on them? am I safe to go up to 300 or is it best left at 200bar when refilling?) and don't know what to buy (been screwing it onto a club cylinder every so often).

I was looking at the cheapest I could do, preferably new or a couple of years old. Any recommendations? Is a stumpy bottle better than one of those slimmer ones?

Every second hand one worth going for has been 2hr+ drive for me.

Thanks!
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

whatever your gun says dont go any higher than that. Your air cylinder (the one you fill from) can go to 300 BAR. Buy a new one as you dont know the history of the second hand ones (well thats just my opinion) Its 300 BAR if that goes and your next to it. It will be a closed casket.

http://www.underwaterworld.co.uk/aca...g_Systems.html

Charging kits. They used to do 12 ltr 300 bar bottles for £190 but they seem to be gone now
    Andy
    Kit: AirArms S400: Hawke Sport-HD 3-9x40 AO IR: AirArms CZ200T 6ftlbs with dioptre sight

A 12ltr cylinder is big and heavy, difficult to move about if you want to take it with you to a shoot. A 7ltr (which I have) is still fairly hefty and the largest I'd contemplate as being 'conveniently portable'. If you can afford it... it's nice to have a 12ltr at home and a 3ltr to tote about with you, you can top up the smaller one from the larger one with a decanting hose. By all means get a 300BAR cylinder, you have a regulator on the cylinder so you only top your gun up to the pressure required for it. If you get a 232BAR cylinder then as soon as the pressure in it drops below 200BAR you can only partially refill your gun (if 200 is what it needs...). You can never use all the air in your cylinder, once the pressure starts to drop you'll have to refill it, and a 300BAR cylinder will need filling less often.

I got a full 7ltr kit from here: http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopdi...=7+Ltr+300+BAR
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH00 View Post
    Why a 7ltr over a 3ltr?
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

More fills. You get about 60 odd fills in a 12 ltr (I think). So if you apply logic. Which for some scientific reason will probably be wrong. That's about 15 fills from 3 litre therefore about 35 fills from 7 litre. You also need to consider howvclose you are to a filling shop. It's a fiver to fill your cylinder regardless of capacity. Therefore a 12 makes best economic sense. However the 7 is a nice compromise. The 3 is exactly for the reason mentioned to fill from a bigger bottle to take to a shoot.
    Andy
    Kit: AirArms S400: Hawke Sport-HD 3-9x40 AO IR: AirArms CZ200T 6ftlbs with dioptre sight

Hmm, might have to save and get a 7ltr then. I'm only filling an air pistol, so imagine smaller could last a while. Would anyone recommend using a stirrup pump to fill a Steyr LP?
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    Hmm, might have to save and get a 7ltr then. I'm only filling an air pistol, so imagine smaller could last a while. Would anyone recommend using a stirrup pump to fill a Steyr LP?
    Yes that would work, I filled my HW100 before getting a cylinder. Good pumps aren't cheap either though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH00 View Post
    Yes that would work, I filled my HW100 before getting a cylinder. Good pumps aren't cheap either though.
    My LP5 came with a little brass adaptor (that I don't need when using the air cylinder at the club so have never used). Will this fit onto most pumps/cylinders? I think it's a standard adaptor supplied with Steyr pistols (although my Steyr is 20th centuary :P)
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    My LP5 came with a little brass adaptor (that I don't need when using the air cylinder at the club so have never used). Will this fit onto most pumps/cylinders? I think it's a standard adaptor supplied with Steyr pistols (although my Steyr is 20th centuary :P)
    Difficult to say but probably that's what it was supplied for. If you know someone that uses a pump ask if you can try it just to see how difficult it is to use - not with your pistol necessarily - just to get an idea of the effort required to operate it.

Looking at http://www.divelife.co.uk/categories...egories_id=221

Do I need a DIN hose or Rapid7 / Super? I think I don't need any as I don't use a hose at the club; It's for filling one of these sort of cylinders http://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/compo...23388e217e.jpg

Thanks!
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E