Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowback pistols....

Blowback pistols....

Hello all,

Am getting back into pistol shooting after a bit of a break, only 6m & 10m target shoots in the garage but was seriously considering getting a blowback pistol, I was
    looking at possibly a witness 1911 or px4...

Any others that anyone would recommend?

I am using a Dan Wesson 8" and an Umarex CP99 at the moment...

Cheers

Ray

Not a PX 4.
    Not reliable ,jams and breaks in my experience.

Witness usually good but remember steel bbs and garages may not mix!

The only other blowback pellet pistol is the Desert Eagle which is good but big and plastic.
    Unless I have missed one.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Not a PX 4.
    Not reliable ,jams and breaks in my experience.

Witness usually good but remember steel bbs and garages may not mix!

The only other blowback pellet pistol is the Desert Eagle which is good but big and plastic.
    Unless I have missed one.
    Gamo PT 85? Smaller and plastic

I have a witness and I can honestly say they are the closest airpistol I have used that feels like a firearm ,blowback is very good feel in use and they will
    cycle lead bb too so less chance of bouncing back ,if you want fun shooting try one of these !
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Sadly there are not many pellet shooters about, as mentioned the Desert Eagle is one, well kind of. The blowback cycles the hammer, the trigger still turns the cylinder and the trigger is awful. The PX4 seems to have some quality issues with it.

The other blowbacks are much better in terms of the way that they function, but not really up to target work. They are accurate enough to hit a target but are not exactly surgical when it comes to pellet placement. That said, shooting tins with a blowback BB pistol is one of the most satisfying kinds of shooting for me.

I am currently enjoying shooting my Tanfoglio Gold Custom the most, it looks a little wierd at first but is nice to hold and fun to shoot (even though inaccurate, though I think this can be improved). With a red dot on it its capable of hitting most target sized objects at 6-10m and with a red dot its nice and quick, don't expect paper punching precision but rapid fire pinging on metal plates or tin cans is great fun (and with 6mm the ricochets are a little less of a problem).

As above the Witness is great, but I am not sure what the quality control is like on the later magazines, they had some issues after the first batch arrived in the UK. Early ones are fine, not sure about the later ones.
    Last edited by blooregard; 23-11-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Sell your pistols and buy a Drulov Condor, you can shoot 6 pellets on semi-auto with this if you get the right ones, and it is nearly as accurate as a match pistol.

If you can afford it and can find one, get a Aeron B-96 which has a five shot mag and IS as accurate as a match pistol.

Both are 'true' semi-autos and are pretty much the same as firing a .22 lr with less muzzle flip.

Old post on the Condor ..

http://www.airgunbbs.com/archive/ind.../t-113461.html

There is the PPK which is also fun but the plastic mags are a bit of a let down. The witness is the best, in my opinion. Would be nice to see some upgrades for this too, a barrel threaded for silencer may be helpfull.
    Last edited by GRAZY; 23-11-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Sell your pistols and buy a Drulov Condor, you can shoot 6 pellets on semi-auto with this if you get the right ones, and it is nearly as accurate as a match pistol.

If you can afford it and can find one, get a Aeron B-96 which has a five shot mag and IS as accurate as a match pistol.

Both are 'true' semi-autos and are pretty much the same as firing a .22 lr with less muzzle flip.

Old post on the Condor ..

http://www.airgunbbs.com/archive/ind.../t-113461.html
    The BRNO is a lovely match pistol - I have one but its a different ball game more like the difference between small calibre semi auto fireams than an air pistol,obviously lot lower power and range but not much comes as near as the witness 1911a to it !
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the replies, I think its the witness for me then!!
    Cheers
    Ray

Also look at the Tanfoglio Limited.
    In my view better than the Witness but heavier and maybe too modern for some tastes.

I saw a young chap in our local gun shop weigh up the two and he went for the Witness and the traditional look. Which shows why the Colt still rules after 100 years.

I also have a nagging impulse to get a PPK/S anyone got any input on these?
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1974 View Post
    I also have a nagging impulse to get a PPK/S anyone got any input on these?
    Cheers
    Ray
    Great fun if you don't care about accuracy. The Tanfoglio Witness 1911 is just as much fun but more accurate.
    "...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Cool

Yep wiould get the PPK as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1974 View Post
    Yep wiould get the PPK as well...
    I have a PPK\S classic with longer barrel in a fake silencer (also has interchangeable grips and a silver ejection port which looks nice). I've also owned the standard PPK/S in the past. The classic is a little more accurate, it likes a diet of Gamo Lead BBs.

They are nice, the only things I do not like about the PPK\S are the flimsy magazines (though I've never had one fail), the CO2 screw sticking out of the bottom (Can be changed) and the fact that it doesn't cycle like a true automatic. It doesn't make much difference on this kind of gun but what I like about the Cybergun pistols is that the action is the same as the real firearm, they load the BBs into the chamber, they have a locked breach which unlocks after short delay and all of the controls work as they should. I also like that the CO2 is contained within the magazine,

On the PPK\S the top of the magazine is treated as the chamber and the BBs are shot from here, some of the controls are moulded. That said they are good fun to shoot and are reliable, but they are made of quite a soft alloy. Eventually, after thousands of shots, the blowback piston distorted and the cycling became gradually rougher, easily fixed by a quick polish of the chamber and piston and its worked fine ever since.

Nice guns, could have been a little nicer but they work well for the money.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

sig x five p226 is a nice blowback gives a strong kick and quite accurate only downside there a little gas hungry