Thread: J12 ipas style competition – sunday 29th september 2013

J12 ipas style competition – sunday 29th september 2013

In an effort to find more venues to hold IPAS style competitions, we have decided to try J12 Shooting. Neil Hunter who rents the land and who has set up the shooting grounds at J12, is keen to develop his business, and make the most of the ranges, including encouraging IPAS shooters to use the range. As this is a new venture, and the main scope of the shooting grounds is air rifle and HFT shooting and shooters, and not many IPAS shooters, he has not yet invested much resource into the IPAS and action style air shooting disciplines. However he is keen to do so, and as a result, is happy to host an Open IPAS style competition at J12 on Sunday 29th September.

My brother Mark and I will be organising the event, (with some much appreciated help from a few fellow IPAS shooters!) and we need to have a good idea, as soon as possible, of the numbers that will attend.

As I said earlier, the venue has very limited resources, and all potential shooters should be aware of what facilities will be available on the day. The venue has an old 'portakabin' style, clubhouse, which would be available for cover from the elements, and a place to keep equipment bags etc., during the day, and also to use as shelter in bad weather. We also hope to have 3 or 4 gazebos to assist with protection from the weather. There is no running water or mains electricity on site, but a generator is in place, to power the laptop for scoring and to provide power for hot water urns to provide tea and coffee etc. throughout the day. Bottled water will provided for this purpose. There is also a fully working portaloo on site.

If required, Neil will provide a B-B-Q during the day, where hot food will be available for purchase. Please indicate when replying as to whether you would like the B-B-Q or will provide your own food. There will also be a selection of canned drinks and snacks available for purchase.

There will be 10 stages on the day, and will be a mix of traditional style IPAS courses of fire with some shorter, quick stages and maybe a stage to be shot around a barricade, to add some fun! For this initial shoot, there will be no TYRO class, and it will be shot from the holster. Shooters will be able to use either .177 pellet firing air pistols or 6mm PLASTIC BB airsoft pistols, but no type of metal BB will be allowed.
    The cost will be £12 per shooter and will include tea, coffee and water throughout the day. Depending on the numbers entering, there will be trophies for the first three places in both Open and Standard categories. If you want to enter, please let me know whether you shoot in Open or Standard category, and whether you will shoot .177 pellet or 6mm Airsoft Plastic BB’s.

If you, the shooters like the facility, and Neil Hunter can gauge that the level of interest would make it viable to invest more money in this part of the sport then it is likely that more resources will be put into making this a better equipped venue for the future. Shooting on the range is available 7 days a week, and costs £10 a day for non-members, and £5 a day for members.

Further details regarding times, and exact location will follow, but if you follow the link in this post, you will be able to see where the venue is located.

I hope we get a good response, and this turns into another venue for IPAS competitions!

J12 IPAS Style Match - Sun 29th September - CHECK IN 9.30am

Okay, so we are up to 13 entries now and I'm sure we'll get a few more, so that will be great.

Check in by 9.30am please, with the match commencing at 10am. There will be a full range and safety briefing before we start.

We shall run 10 stages, 5 before and 5 after lunch. All assistance will be greatly appreciated in helping to finish off the set up, changing stages at lunch time, and help with clearing away afterwards. Depending on the final number of entries, we will try for squads of 6 or 7.

The 'clubhouse' portakabin will be used to unbag and holster your guns, BUT THERE WILL BE NO MAGAZINE LOADING OR GASSING INSIDE THE CLUBHOUSE. Tables will provided outside for this and they will be marked accordingly.

As previously stated, tea, coffe and water will be available free of charge throughout the day and there will be a BBQ on the go for people to purchase hot food. There will also be the facility to purchase cans of soft drink and some snacks/sweets.

Neil Hunter will also have a range of pellets, CO2 capsules, etc., for sale on site, at very competitive prices if anyone would like to take the opportunity.

We're looking forward to what we hope will be the first of many competitions held at J12! Please encourage other shooters to enter what I'm sure will be a very enjoyable and challenging match.

Paul and Mark vdB

J12 Open Match Sunday 29th September - Update

Hi to all,

We're less than a week away now, and I hope you're all looking forward to it as much as we are! I'm sure it will be a good fun day.

As of today there are 6 people entered to shoot.

Some great news is that Neil Hunter, who is providing the venue, has very generously said that he will provide the BBQ for free!
    He is also donating some spot prizes for a couple of the stages, and as said before, he will have a variety pellets, CO2, etc., for sale at very keen prices, so take opportunity to grab some good deals.

There will also be a raffle for a new gun, so bring your change!

Look forward to seeing you all on the 29th!

Paul & Mark

jalan01 Guest
    I shoot neither pellets or 6mm plastic.. only 4.5mm/.177 copper coated lead BB's.. which are acceptable at all other competitions and IPAS matches.. are you accepting these? as you have stated 'no other metal BB's'?

Hi jalan01,

Thanks for the interest, but I'm afraid that we don't accept any kind of metal BB at a steel plate shoot. I shoot steel plate at a lot of venues in different parts of the country and don't know any that allow metal BB's. I'm really sorry about that, especially as you are obviously interested enough to enquire.

Hope to see you at one of our matches in the future.

Best wishes

Paul

jalan01 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drawmaster View Post
    Hi jalan01,

Thanks for the interest, but I'm afraid that we don't accept any kind of metal BB at a steel plate shoot. I shoot steel plate at a lot of venues in different parts of the country and don't know any that allow metal BB's. I'm really sorry about that, especially as you are obviously interested enough to enquire.

Hope to see you at one of our matches in the future.

Best wishes

Paul
    I can understand the ban on steel BB's.. my club does not allow them.. but lead BB's are no different to lead pellets.. wherein they flatten and drop after hitting the plate.. IPAS also allow them.. and they certainly make less mess than loads of broken bits of coloured plastic all over the range!

Quote Originally Posted by jalan01 View Post
    I can understand the ban on steel BB's.. my club does not allow them.. but lead BB's are no different to lead pellets.. wherein they flatten and drop after hitting the plate.. IPAS also allow them.. and they certainly make less mess than loads of broken bits of coloured plastic all over the range!
    Hi,

I am aware that copper coated lead BB's are used in some venues, but I'm afraid that certainly for the first competition at a new venue, we are not allowing their use.

Sorry again, but that's the situation.

Paul

jalan01 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drawmaster View Post
    Hi,

I am aware that copper coated lead BB's are used in some venues, but I'm afraid that certainly for the first competition at a new venue, we are not allowing their use.

Sorry again, but that's the situation.

Paul
    that's a shame.. there are 4 of us who all shoot lead BB's.. and we were all gonna come..

Yes that's a real shame! Again I apologise for the disappointment.

For my info, where do you guys shoot IPAS?

Good luck with your shooting.

Paul

J12 Open Match

To clear up some confusion, for this match, lead, or copper coated lead BB's will be perfectly okay.

I hope that those of you who use these and were previously put off, will now consider entering.

Sorry about the confusion.

See you on Sunday!

Paul vdB

J12 match 29th september - post match update

Mark and I are very happy with the way the J12 match went yesterday, for the number of you who turned up; from as far afield as Kent and Nottingham, and grateful for all of your generous comments and statements of support!

We will continue to work with Neil Hunter to ensure that we have another venue available for IPAS and other action based shooting disciplines.

See you all soon I hope at the upcoming matches at various venues over the next few months.

It's good to see the support and appetite for this type of shooting is strong. Long may it continue and grow!

Paul and Mark vdB

RESULTS!