Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 75yard shotgun shells

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Nice shooting 18 Wheeler you nailed most of them right in the centre what was the range . Ive been doing 82y as its the longest range I can get at my local range . Its supprising how far a .177 pellet will send the shell's spinning at that range when well hit ATB Mike
    75 yards. If we all shoot them at the same distance it helps make any comparisons more useful, so I stuck with the range suggested in the title.

[Dialling for elevation: 35yd zero +12.5MOA, Sportsmatch 30mm high mounts, Daystate Mk4, JSB Exacts @ 781fps].

The empties certainly do fly! The furthest, which I managed to find, was 15 paces from its starting point.

I've redrawn the paper target, the cartridge cases have been slightly shortened to replicate a 67mm cartridge. The width remains a fraction slimmer than a fired 12ga, the open office drawing progamme won't allow me to make very small corrections easily, there's less than a mm in it (14ga anyone?)

Download link > SSC pdf target v2

-Print at 100% Actual Size, the line at the bottom should be exactly 20cm to ensure it is scaled correctly

-The two triangles with green centres can be used to check your zero. [The points should also be 4 Mildots apart, you can get a rough calibration by adjusting the mag until 4 MD's balance on the triangles at 75 yards iaw with the threads title.

Have fun and keep us updated with how you get on, the good and the bad!

Just thought of another way 18 wheeler and still have reactive targets without loosing them all the time you could make a wire frame and hang the shells off it with string . It should be easy enough to spot a hit cos as we have found out they do fly well , and as we get better at 75y you could then cut the string holding the shells ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Having them dangle on string could be tricky, they'll move in any breeze, OTOH they may also be deflected in the same direction as the breeze and pellet making it easier.

A simple wire tether could stop them doing their disappearing trick.

Even simpler, a couple of feet of coloured string tied around each would make locating them easier, rather like those "tag things" for errant skis, whilst still allowing them to fly.

The benefit of the paper targets is you can see where you miss, as well as easily show the rest of us how it's going, and those without empties can have a play too.

Looks like there's only you and me doing this at the moment...