Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 75yard shotgun shells

75yard shotgun shells

Hi chaps was down my local range today mapping out aim points on my scope with bis mags in .177 out to 45 yards and noticed someone had put lots of shotgun shells ,empty ones i must add on a frame at the end of the range . I ranged it at 76 yards then had a few shots and missed didnt have a clue were they were going ended up shooting in to a puddle under the frame to get rough point of impact then switched back to the shells and started hitting quite a few . I expect most people on here have seen teds holdover on you tube doing the ten shotgun shell challenge at a hundred yards but with fac power rifles . Wot about us giving it a go with our sub 12's at 75 yards and putting results on here and put scope, rifle, pellet etc on i'll give it a go next time i go, maybe tomorrow dont know yet. Bit of fun and interesting to see how different combo's shoot at long range

hi guys shot at ten shells today hit 3 ranged it at 81 yards so prob a bit too much think 65 would be better to try im shooting a daystate mk4 panther target with mtc viper 3 12 44 , pellets are bisley magnum in .177 cheers

Ogri48 and I went to a local range a few weeks before Xmas with our .177 rapids , we set up some small stones about 1/2" dia, both of us managed to hit 3 on the trot (6 on the trot between us) @100mts, we then swapped over to our .20's and got another 4 on the trot. All 4 guns were sub 12fte.

With the right gun and the right pellet on a calm day, I would think that a 10/10 of shotty cases is very doable even at 100 yards with a sub 12fte.

my two guns were .177 MFR 16" barrel (10.5g JSB heavies) bushy 4200 elite 6 x 24 x 50 and .20 MFR 19" barrel ( 11.7 H&H FTT) Simmons 6.5 X 20 X 50 WTC

Pauls guns were .177 MK2 19" barrel (10.5 bis mags) Simmons atec 6.5 X 20 X 50 and a .20 MK1 with a 21 " barrel ( 13.7JSB exacts) Simmons 6.5 X 20 X 50 WTC

Interstingly, my .177 shoot AA 8.7 with a POI higher out to 60M than 10.5 JSB heavies. At 60M POI is exactly the same and at 100M the POI is 5" lower than the heavies, if you have not tried then yet give the JSB a go for some long range plinking.

Bb

Sounds like good shooting bucketboy have a go at the shells , can only do 8O yards max at local range i'll have another soon

Neither Ogri or I concider ourselves to be marksmen, just two old guys who are lucky enough to own some accurate guns that are easy to be accurate with.

Another member on here (Funkedup) and I routinely splat paint balls placed on fence posts between 50 and 65yrd useing our night lamping gear, its hard to see those things with lowish mag scopes and lamps as they don't reflect any light back but we still manage to hit more than we miss.

Never ceases to amaze me how good an airgun can be, its a shame more people don't try long range plinking.
    First oppertunity I will stick up 10 shotty cases @100yards and see how many I can hit with ten shots, then see how many shots to kill all of them.

Bb

Nice one bucketboy, my mk4 shooting the bis mags shoots well out to 55yard's holds 2Omm in low wind easy , but at 8O yard's opens up to arround 4 inche's think i'll give the jsb heavy's a go and maybe try a leupold 8.5 to 25 mag scope ive got on a 6mm rifle . Ive got an r7 mk1 in .22 may give that a go which of your rifles shoot better at longe range the .177 or the .2O . good looking rifles by the way have you done any internal mods

@100 yard no wind the .177 just edges it, 50 yards there is nothing in it but the .20 is better if there is a wind (14.3 prems), hunting I never use the .177 as the .20 really hits hard. As for internal mods, they have a few, PTFE slip rings and spring guide, silent hammer pip and inertia weight, custom valve body and stem, tapered barrel port, polished internals, Q/F custom carbon shroud with internal air stripper, custom stock, all the work was done by me so only cost was for materials.

If you struggle to get any JSB's heavies (daystate heavies are the same) PM me your addy and I'll post off a few.

My 17 year old .20 Mk1
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...1954/001-6.jpg

My .177 MFR
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...oy1954/002.jpg

I also have another MFR in .20 and a new MK1 in .20

All of them will out shoot me but I had to choose 1 it would be the old MK1, OK the gamo trigger it a little clonky and even though I have had it 17years the gun never ceases to amaze me

Have you ever tried to push a pellet through the barrel to see if there are any tight spots? I do all my barrels and polish any tight areas then do the whole thing so that it is slicker than snot. Pretty sure someone will disagree but it works for me Also for long range work it is very important to get the cross hair on your scope 100% with the block before you start shooting, a few thou out at the block makes a big difference at 100yrd

Bb
    Last edited by bucketboy; 04-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thumbs up

Cheer's for the kind offer on the pellets bucketboy but going to phone blackpool airguns in morning they got em in . Just a couple of mods on the rapids then had my mk1 about 17 years too . I'll have to take care when setting up the leupold , what size group's are you getting with the .177 at 5O yards just wondering if i'm anywere close to were i need to be ? cheer's for advice happy shooting mike

If I do my part, gun rested 20X mag... stand .22 pellets on a brick and my old Mk1 .20 (prems) and my .177mfr (AA field) will get 8 out of 12 at 50yrd, the .20MFR (H&NFTT) maybe one less? not tried the new Mk1 yet ? bought another .20 barrel today, just needs machining to fit action and I'll see what that can do.

Bb

it becomes addictive, myself another guy at our range have a post at the 75yard mark and knock shells off of that,
    last weekend someone had put some spinners on the post 45mm and 25mm type and i hit those a few times to.
    I find if you use a mil dot type scope with plenty of aim points it help you practice for field work.

We shoot them at around 70 yds in an old quarry we shoot in. I can pick them off standing with my fac and once the other lads get their eye in with sub 12s they're flying call over the place.
    The only downside is it's 3 climbs and two walks to find them again, perch them on the rock face and get back up onto the other side to shoot them again.
    Good fun tho. They don't half fly when you catch them right eh.

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    We shoot them at around 70 yds in an old quarry we shoot in. I can pick them off standing with my fac and once the other lads get their eye in with sub 12s they're flying call over the place. .
    Shotgun shells (i.e. 12 bore?), from an unrested standing position at 70 yards?
    Proud AG and AGW subscriber (and I'll call them ****ing comics if I want to!)

I'm new to air guns, what's classed as long distance?

I was at the Greyhound last week (Nr Coventry) and I managed to hit a few of the targets on their plinking range at 60 yards, not too many times but its difficult to see where you're missing at that distance.

Gun is a Pro Sport .177 with Air Arms Field. It's fairly new having only one tin through it. Scope is a Hawke Map Pro 3-9x50

I zeroed it at 30 and used each dot as a 10 yard increment and it seemed to work pretty well although I'm hoping I'll get better with practice as I'm still getting used to just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaconjon View Post
    I'm new to air guns, what's classed as long distance?

I was at the Greyhound last week (Nr Coventry) and I managed to hit a few of the targets on their plinking range at 60 yards, not too many times but its difficult to see where you're missing at that distance.

Gun is a Pro Sport .177 with Air Arms Field. It's fairly new having only one tin through it. Scope is a Hawke Map Pro 3-9x50

I zeroed it at 30 and used each dot as a 10 yard increment and it seemed to work pretty well although I'm hoping I'll get better with practice as I'm still getting used to just about everything.
    Hi jon have a look at youtube search for si pittaway and have a look through his uploads there is good info on mapping out mildot scopes and zeroing hope this helps happy shooting

Sun was out, no wind so off to the shooting club for some long range plinking, I took both my MFR's (.177 and 20) and was shooting with a guy who had a Daystater Air ranger (if you are read this, sorry mate I don't know your name). After we zeroed our guns we were both hitting a 20mm spinner fairly consistantly, didn't have any shotty cases so put up some spent .22 rimmy cases instead, didn't take many shots before we both nailed one......105yards

Bb