Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a name for this scope?

Scope and Mount

If anyone has a copy of JD's book, 'Air Rifle Hunting', have a look, there are some good pics of the scope and mount.

Was the super moonlighter ever offered with illuminated ret?

I have a full AO 3-9x56 Optima here with illuminated ret,spare battery kept in the top adjusting cap, illumination is red or green.

it could be an apel or bsa mount. most prob all steel construction, all the same it smacks pure quality. very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Was the super moonlighter ever offered with illuminated ret?

I have a full AO 3-9x56 Optima here with illuminated ret,spare battery kept in the top adjusting cap, illumination is red or green.
    I don't remember AO Optimas (I think I was off flirting with shotguns by that time). But it sounds nice! Super Moonlighter Turbo!

There were Moonlighter (3-9x45) and then Super Moonlighters 3-9x56. Soon after the range were given BCD turrets. Later still they were given OA. Never known one with an illuminated reticule but maybe that was a later one still. Glass varied and you can find them with different colours from model to model and the year. In my opinion the best were the very first.

Price is really whatever anyone is willing to pay, but they really are hard to beat to put on a period 80's springer. A bit like Apel type mounts from that period. Mint then £160??? Why not??? Bashed then £25. At £120 even in fantastic condition I would struggle as they do come up regularly. Again condition is everything and at the top price there are some better scopes like some Tasco's, B&L and even Leupold. My choice would always be the Moonlighter, second the 4x40.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I sin one on that E bay just a week u go anbd it was seld foir £90 AND THAT INCLUDED THE RIGINAL one block mount.

FEAST YOUR EYYES

AND A MOONLIGHTER JUST WEN FOR £82

BLIMEY

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I sin one on that E bay just a week u go anbd it was seld foir £90 AND THAT INCLUDED THE RIGINAL one block mount.

FEAST YOUR EYYES

AND A MOONLIGHTER JUST WEN FOR £82

BLIMEY

Well strangely enough Alisatair it is that very "Super" that I have bought

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

You boys must spend all yer time and money on pop guns

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    You boys must spend all yer time and money on pop guns
    Don't tell my wife...

Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I will take some pics in the daylight and post them up tomorrow, it has blue lettering to the front edge of the AO ring, quotes being recoil proof and made in Japan

Also have a 3-9x56 Nite Eater Elite, again made in Japan, again HUGE

I like these scopes and did sit one on a 35 then an 80 for a while..BUT they are too big, way to big. I was tempted by the Moonlighter as its smaller and would go for one again if one come up or a Nite Eater.

Being honest however, a Prostaff is as good if not better with 40mm objective, I have 3X 3-9x40EB Optimate now and they are superb also and were the same price as that Moonlighter went for on the bay.

Just checked the book and can confirm, that scope and mount are the very same as JD has on his Venom 80.

He names the scope (Optima Super Moonlighter 3-9x56) but I can't recall any mention of the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Just checked the book and can confirm, that scope and mount are the very same as JD has on his Venom 80.

He names the scope (Optima Super Moonlighter 3-9x56) but I can't recall any mention of the mount.
    I am starting to believe that this scope I have just bought was the actual one owned by JD...

Maybe...

Well it's a nice thought...

Matty

JD set-up copy...

So...

The Supermoonlighter was waiting at home for me when I arrived this evening

Straight on the AGT 80-25 and it is just perfect - 2mm gap between the scope and cylinder - and the perfect height for the Tyro cheekpiece

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94089162/Ca...1203-00700.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94089162/Ca...1203-00701.jpg

I can't wait to get zero'd and get going with this scope.

Initial thoughts on the glass looking through it indoor are that it's probably the best I have - and I have 30 scopes

Dusk and Dawn shooting will prove its quality soon enough...

Matty