Thread: My Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole .17HMR

My Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole .17HMR

Everyone has raved about the .17HMR and then badgered me that I should have one. Well, a bit late, but I have. I like to get my rifles set up just right with everything complimenting each other. Think I'm there:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5153.jpg

Nightingale Moderator; quality matches the rifle, looks the part and takes the boom out of what is a nasty noisy round. Love it:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5157.jpg

The new Zeiss Conquest HD5 Scope: 3-15 x 42, 1" tube, plex 20, locking target turrets. Came out at Shot Show this year, made in Germany, and I had to have one. Locking turrets was what I was waiting for, and the target turrets are for taking the .17hmr beyond pointblank field ranges. Leupold rings and Lamp mount added. Matches the rifle perfectly:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5160.jpg
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5162.jpg
    Side Parallax only goes down to 50m but with mag set at 7.5, which is my working close range mag, its fine and the sight picture crisp. Full 15x from 50m onwards which is just about perfect for shooting little targets at range. Eye relief is good but eye position fairly narrow which is why the scope is mounted hight wise perfectly. Glass is superb and the picture jumps out. The plex is a really good one being quite tight and not too thin nor thick; really fast. The scale of the scope doesn't overwhelm what is quite a small rifle.

Alan Wey cut in a picatinny rail for the Atlas Bipod; I rate the Atlas so has to be done. The Atlas comes off in a second which for a rifle that will be shot standing a lot is important:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5165.jpg
    He also supplied an upgraded DIP INC trigger guard, 25 degree picatinny rail and bolt knob. I prefer the factory ball but the extended knob speeds up what is a clunky action:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5160.jpg

50m prone off the grass; in fact its better than that:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_5167.jpg

This Annie isn't a patch on my 1710 which just ouzes quality:
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...9/IMG_0444.jpg
    The bluing just isn't as deep. The 64 action isn't as precise as the 54. Alan Wey had to work on the trigger and the safety is far too noisy and stiff. The 64 action is pretty simple and clunky. Woodwork is fine but the checkering, though it does the job, is just stamped on. For me the grip could be a bit thicker and there could be a thumb rest. In truth a Sako would be a slicker machine; but it just doesn't come in quite the cute thumbhole package of the Annie. At least both shoot straight and are as accurate as the rounds can be; which is exceedingly accurate. I can't blame my tools.

Once chosen I keep my rifles a long time. This one I'm enjoying and just got to get to know it a bit more and then it will be put to work.
    Last edited by Muskett; 11-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Very nice, had a few 17hmr and if being honest never 100% happy with results , blamed the ammo, however recently picked up a lovely 1517 thumbhole ,put a wildcat mod on and a zeiss conquest 4,5-14x50 and it shoots fantastic, fits like a glove and looks fantastic, do like the look of the new conquest though

ha ha i'm sat here pondering anouther annie or pimping a cz.i have had a few annies but allways get frustrated by the ammo quality compared to centerfire.your thread has just put annie back on top as i can't find an importer for the cz455 trainer with that nice manners tac stock.

Thumbs up

I agree the 54 action is classier, but as it is much bigger and heavier it is not so pointable. The 64 is still much less agricultural than my old CZs, and I never trusted the ejector spring on my Sako.
    I do now believe that HMR accuracy problems are down to the ammo. I bought a load of ammo from an RFD closure, but as this was 1.5MOA in my 1517 I stopped using the rifle and very nearly sold it. I have subsequently found some that suits it much better, so have fallen for it again in a big way! I just treated it to a new SPR Nightingale, and replaced the scope with a Weaver Tactical in Leupold QRWs. I replaced the 4 shot mag with higher capacity ones, and the trigger spring with a JnP one which is lighter and crisper.
    It's now a keeper!

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/a...512_100022.jpg
    Last edited by Guesty; 26-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I have a 1517 but not thumbhole, however a nice bit of stripping in the Walnut and a really nice tool to use I also have a 1710HB .22lr which is a cracker too and bit smarter!!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Hi Guesty

i did see your gun for sale and thought jeez thats a mistake but as you say if its not shooting , its not shooting no matter how good the gun looks, glad you found the weakest link ( find good ammo though and imo its a deadly round on birds/rabbits/ foxes at sensible ranges) , i use mine more than the .22 and .223 to be honest, interested to know about why you changed you scope from the meopta , i looked at your scope and thought with the ret it would be perfect, never had meopta but had s&b and got 3 zeiss conquests and always drawn to the meopta range , how did you find the meopta?
    i also had a weaver grand slam and that was quite nice , how does your weaver compare with the meopta
    cheers
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    Hi Guesty

i did see your gun for sale and thought jeez thats a mistake but as you say if its not shooting , its not shooting no matter how good the gun looks, glad you found the weakest link ( find good ammo though and imo its a deadly round on birds/rabbits/ foxes at sensible ranges) , i use mine more than the .22 and .223 to be honest, interested to know about why you changed you scope from the meopta , i looked at your scope and thought with the ret it would be perfect, never had meopta but had s&b and got 3 zeiss conquests and always drawn to the meopta range , how did you find the meopta?
    i also had a weaver grand slam and that was quite nice , how does your weaver compare with the meopta
    cheers
    craig
    I was using my 223 for everything, but I fell for the HMR again when I found the right ammo. It's weird as I sold the old stuff to buddies who both report sub MOA with it.
    The Meopta hasn't yet sold as the buyer pulled out at the last minute. It has a lovely contrasty image, but I prefer the fine FFP and greater FOV of the Weaver. Both are just sub the optical quality of my Zeiss Conquests. The Weaver was the old top of the range model to compete with the Leupold Mk4. I have a couple of them and really like them, as they are great under a lamp.
    ATB,
    Matt.

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    Nice grouping with the 1517 - which as noted is somewhat ammo limited. However rifle chambering and rifling do factor into the overall accuracy and if you ever get the opportunity try a 1717. It halved my groups.
    Al

Thank you.
    Somewhere I read all .17HMR was loaded in the same factory. There were issues to the point everyone was up in arms. Now it seems quality control has been improved no end. Maybe different brands pay for higher tolerances????? from the same machines???? Maybe brands supply their own bullets???

I use Hornady 17GR VMAX. Looking at the picture the holes look huge. .177HMR produce tiny holes, much much smaller than the preverbal .22LR. It was a wind free day and a penny covers the group with lots of room to spare. Happy boy with his new toy or what! That group was repeatable.
    What I have found with this rifle is that its quite light weight. You do need to be calm, get your breathing down and apply good marksmanship. Its easy to push in, or pull off, or not follow through. Errors show up the other end either enlarging the group or throwing a good inch out. The worse is relaxing before the shots gone and you end up with one high. When I do my bit the rifle shoots so well I can adjust my point of aim by mm's and point of impact moves mm's too. Love it when a rifle can really screw in a tight group. Its shooting better than my heart rate so some must be luck.
    Wind! Its been windy! The .17HMR may be fast but its not that fast. Light weight rifle plus wind makes life tricky.
    Range: I've still haven't had a wind free day to shoot at longer ranges than 75m (still point blank). Not sure of its point blank max range potential yet which for the field is all into an inch. 0-75m its all in 1/2 an inch if I do my bit without adjustments (1cm high at 20m and the same at 75m zeroed at 50m). Sometime, weather permitting, I'll use the target turrets and make up a range card to 220m which it should do. Thats a fair weather 220m and possible group to 11/2 if I'm lucky. Don't know until I try; though the true practical might prove me wrong.

When I zeroed this rifle I had to alter the elevation but not one click left or right. All new parts, all bolted on correctly and the scope's cross factory centred. It was a fluke, but it just goes to show how good CNC and laser machining is getting. I was gobsmacked.

Can't be emphasised enough how well the Nightingale moderator really suits this rifle. Anyway, I'm having fun and pleased with my decision to go with the Anschutz. Thanks for those who advised/helped last year. Looks like others are enjoying theirs too.. good aren't they
    Last edited by Muskett; 14-05-2013 at 02:48 PM.