Thread: what is the Law with regards to shooting pheasant with an air rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun the sheep View Post
    I have to laugh at the irony of people who say shooting pheasants in the head with an adequately powered airgun at a sensible range is unethical but that it is acceptable with pigeons.Is the pheasant more deserving of a more noble() fate?
    Remember that the pheasant was imported and bred for the purpose of being shot for goodness sake.For every pheasant 'dead in the air' with a shotgun how many hit the ground running with a broken wing or continue flying with several pellets in the rump or gut ?
    Now I am not knocking any kind of shooting,since,as a participant,it would be very hypocritical of me but I would suggest that people have a good think before getting on their moral high horse.--Shaun.
    as a life long hunter and ex keeper. this say's it all IMHO.....well put fella

ive shot a small number of pheasants with my air rifle, alway a headshot. I have no qualms about admitting if the landowner doesnt mind and I am able to ensure a headshot I will kill one, sorry to say but its my favourite meat.
    Daystate Mk4s & Bushnell Elite 6500; Daystate Merlyn & NVRS; Theoben Evolution & Hawke; TX200 Mk1 & Apollo

Geoffc Guest
    As I put in my earlier post, if it's a good headshot, and I have permission then I'm happy to take a Pheasant with an air rifle. 'Sporting shot' doesn't come into it for me. I want to eat the bloody thing not stroke my vanity as a hunter. That also means I want to walk over and pick it up, I don't want it running into an overgrown bramble ditch with a pellet in the breast. Pointless.