Thread: what is the Law with regards to shooting pheasant with an air rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    On the first of September,
    One Sunday morn,
    I shot a hen pheasant
    in standing corn
    without a licence!
    Imagine if you can
    such a trio of crimes
    against God and man.

Probably traditional (and definitely not a confession)

ATVB, Mick
    Well they are a little late bringing in the corn around here Mick! That could drop it down to just two crimes!

ATB
    Dean.
    BASC

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...
    I've just had a quick look over this thread, and I've not spotted (though might have missed) the important point about game rights vs vermin-shooting permission.

In order to shoot game as far as I'm aware you need permission not from the landowner or the tenant, but from the holder of the game rights: who might well be neither of those two.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

what I find utterly bizzare is the notion Pheasants are such dumb birds they are no sport for an air rifle, yet, its sporting to blast them with a shotgun??
    so if you come accross a pheasant on the ground when carrying your shotgun what do you do, shout and wave your arms until it takes off then blast i?
    or,
    give it a good talking too about putting on a right and proper sporting show so you can blast it with a clear concience?
    or
    do you blast it stick it in the bag and wander off looking for something else to blast!

just wondering because i can pretty much guess which option would be taken 99% of the time!

sporting? poppycock, if you want sport play football!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    what I find utterly bizzare is the notion Pheasants are such dumb birds they are no sport for an air rifle, yet, its sporting to blast them with a shotgun??
    so if you come accross a pheasant on the ground when carrying your shotgun what do you do, shout and wave your arms until it takes off then blast i?
    or,
    give it a good talking too about putting on a right and proper sporting show so you can blast it with a clear concience?
    or
    do you blast it stick it in the bag and wander off looking for something else to blast!

just wondering because i can pretty much guess which option would be taken 99% of the time!

sporting? poppycock, if you want sport play football!
    Football is a game, not a sport.

Shooting is a sport. A pheasant is game.

The correct procedure is to try option 2 first, letting your dog do the talking, if you have one with you. If that doesn't work, try option 1.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

naaaw , killing animals is not sport, its just called that to gloss over what your doing!

I shot plenty of rabbits as a youngster, did i consider it sport or ethical, heck no I did it because i sold the rabbits to buy ammo and I got a kick out of stalking and killing rabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    naaaw , killing animals is not sport, its just called that to gloss over what your doing!

I shot plenty of rabbits as a youngster, did i consider it sport or ethical, heck no I did it because i sold the rabbits to buy ammo and I got a kick out of stalking and killing rabbits!
    Calling football a sport is glossing over the fact that it is in fact just a game. I don't see how calling shooting a sport glosses over anything - everyone knows birds and animals end up dead if you do it properly.

Anyhow, you seeming to be saying that you don't think shooting is a sport.

I, however, think it is. So there.

and that my friend is the great benefit of living in a free society, both you and I are entitled to our opinions , we dont have to agree just agree we dont agree