Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PCP for 13yr old

First PCP for 13yr old

My mate's son is looking to get his first air rifle, he has been saving for over a year and with what his parents are going to give him for Christmas he will have around £600.

He really wants an HW100 but he is only a slightly built lad and I think it will be too big and heavy for him. I also thought a pump might be easier/cheaper than a bottle but Im not sure he is big enough to use it.

Any suggestions of a good first PCP set up for the lad, including scope etc.

setup

Hi mate you wont go wrong with a AA s200 mk3 nice and light and very accurate and a great starting rifle, never heard a complaint about one yet cheers ian

First gun

Have a look at the Air arms S200. Light and super accurate.
    Buy a pump and let his dad fill the gun for him
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    AA S200 or a AA S400 Superlight carbine.

Scope will depend on what he is doing, i.e. plinking, HFT etc? A reasonable 3-9x40 with a Mildot ret is a fairly safe general purpose starter. A bottle is a lot less chew than a pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Is it his first PCP or his first air rifle ?
    If its his first air rifle of any type I'd go for a springer as a self contained unit, & also cheaper if he decides it's not for him.
    If he already shoots a bit & it's his first PCP the AA400/410 would be my start point with plenty of good used outfits on dealers racks, a pump is a good idea because having to refill will slow down his shooting speed & teach him that it takes a bit of effort before he can enjoy the benefits.

Possibly somebody wiser than me can correct here but on the face of it, what is proposed is illegal ?

from the BASC website.

Under 14 years
    You can
    • use an air rifle under supervision on private premises
    with permission from the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.

You cannot
    • buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.
    It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

Bit confusing ?

Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post
    Possibly somebody wiser than me can correct here but on the face of it, what is proposed is illegal ?

from the BASC website.

Under 14 years
    You can
    with permission from the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.

You cannot
    • buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.
    It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

Bit confusing ?
    I wouldn't call it illegal unless his dad lets him loose on his own, he will however need to be with him as soon as his son has hold of the gun and stay with him until he's finished and then take the gun off him to be stored until next time, but you are right In saying that an adult cannot buy a gun with the kids money for the gun to be his, it has to be bought and "gifted" but used under supervision

RS
    HW 97KT .22 SFS Stage 2 Tuned_HW100KT .177_Daystate Regal LH .22_Daystate huntsman LH .177

'gifted' hmm not sure about that....it is explicitly listed as one of the 'cannots'.

+1 for the AA S200. There was/is a mk3 version (don't know differences) for sale on another forum especially for Air Airms Owners. Price was £320 for rifle, scope, multi shot conversion and moderator. Excellent condition as well. And no it's not mine or anyone I know's

If he wants a hw 100, no matter what he gets he won't be truly happy unless it's a hw 100. May as well just get one and not bother saving up twice. Any other gun will forever be compared in a bad light to what could have been.

He's saved up the money and really want the HW100.
    Take him to the shop and let him hold it and make sure he understands that it's his choice and you think that it might be to heavy for him.

Then buy it for him anyway because it's the gun he wants.

the hw100 kt carbine not heavy at all mate best thing to do would be to take him to the shop and let him have an hold of different guns so you can see what suits him best i know may ruin the suprise if for xmas but you dont want to be buying a gun without him holding it and it be al wrong for him the s410 may be bit heavy and abit long for him the ultra may be a god lace to start but as said take him and you can see rathr than him saying its fine when its not

Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post

from the BASC website.

Under 14 years
    You can

You cannot

Bit confusing ?
    Hey up Deeps,

Take a look here www.kwacs.org.uk look under the "Airguns and Airgunning" page the law regarding air rifles and young people is on there.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

My lad is 13 and has a AA S200 which is fantastic. However, now he has had a go with my HW KS 100 in .177 I don't think the S200 will get a look-in any more! I'd get the HW 100, especially if that is what he really wants. The S200 can be fiddly to load too! They grow so quick at that age that he will be past the S200 in no time! MS

My five year old shoots my PCR1 off a bipod, she can shoot the Contour unaided. So maybe an HW100 with bipod until he muscles up a bit?
    I agree that if he's got his heart set on an HW100 then whatever else he gets won't do it for him. Probably best to go to one of the gunshops that has a "try before you buy" range, or better still go to your local HFT/FT club - there are bound to be HW100s, S400s, S200s and others for him to try.