Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swedish Air rifles

Swedish Air rifles

Anyone heard of the models made by Swedish airgun manufaturers A B Arnheim of stockholm ,been told they have a part rifled barrel b/a pump rifle from 1906-
    1975 and have an usual calibre of 5.4mm ,pumps to around 10ft Lbs energy , are they listed anywhere in more detail ,what models are there are they all pumpers ,why were they this cal and can you get pellets for them ,are they common in Uk autions etc ?
    Last edited by hawkeye; 02-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Swedish Excellent.

See this thread for some good info http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...quot%3B+rifle-

I have seen Excellent's listed in auctions and I think one or two dealers adverts in the UK.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

I've just checked and Protek have a Model C1 listed on their site.
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Thanks for those links will check it out now .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    I've just checked and Protek have a Model C1 listed on their site.
    That price is too much for me , are they easy to import into Uk from Sweden or too much hassle with customs ?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    That price is too much for me , are they easy to import into Uk from Sweden or too much hassle with customs ?
    No idea, I've never imported anything from Sweden.

I have imported vintage airguns from other countries, most often from the USA.
    Customs are normally straightforward. They generally just want to ensure that the air rifle is legal and does not require an FAC, and if tax is to be charged they want to know the price you paid for it. Published data on velocity or power output is always useful to have.

There shouldn't be any tax importing an air rifle from Sweden as it is an EU member.
    The power limit for air rifles not requiring a licence is lower in Sweden than it is here. I don't know the power output of the Excellent models, but some may be on a licence in Sweden, that might need to be considered in any export from Sweden to you.

You might find it easier to import from the USA, but bear in mind that you will be charged tax on the purchase price and shipping cost, plus a fee (for collecting the tax) by whichever parcel/courier service you use. Typical shipping cost for an air rifle from the USA to UK by USPS is around $50. There are some Excellents for sale at this link http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=92

Thanks for that info.Tantomurata , been told a good Excellent will put out around 10 ft LBs , is the ammo available in UK though , 5.4 lead balls .

Hi Hawkeye,
    I've repaired a couple of these for a collector pal; they work fine with normal 5.5mm pellets, they push in and "size" down easily with a pellet pusher, you can make one with a metal pin fixed in a piece of wood. This design can be a pain to seal, I notice the one at Protek has low power. I have had to faff about shimming the breech block to be a close fit to the barrel as it relies on a metal to metal fit only to keep air in. They do come up for sale but I'd recommend seeing what you're buying and making sure it actually works!

torrens

ps I'd reckon 7 or 8ft lb is more likely.....

beware

Hello
    not all the excellent rifles will load pellets, the ones with the rotary knob will only take 5.4mm ball ammo unless you want to try to push a pellet backwards into the rotary breech and i wouldnt have thought that a good idea?
    if you want to go the way torrens suggests you need to make sure you get the one with the pivoting breech, i still have a brand new excellent match somewhere which takes 10x lead balls in a magazine, they are a nice gun to play with if youve never had one, they feel and handle better than they look.
    ric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    Hello
    not all the excellent rifles will load pellets, the ones with the rotary knob will only take 5.4mm ball ammo unless you want to try to push a pellet backwards into the rotary breech and i wouldnt have thought that a good idea?
    if you want to go the way torrens suggests you need to make sure you get the one with the pivoting breech, i still have a brand new excellent match somewhere which takes 10x lead balls in a magazine, they are a nice gun to play with if youve never had one, they feel and handle better than they look.
    ric
    A friend on another forum from Netherlands has a couple from new and he has said he tried sizing pellets but accuracy was crap so he reverted to buying the 5.4mm ball shot from Sweden but postage was crippling , what year is the match rifle you have and is still 5.4 mm ?

A friend on another forum from Netherlands has a couple from new and he has said he tried sizing pellets but accuracy was crap so he reverted to buying the 5.4mm ball shot from Sweden but postage was crippling , what year is the match rifle you have and is still 5.4 mm ?
    Hi, I have one !
    Its not called an Excellent because this is the gun they were copied from ?
    Its a " Bahco " Made by the wrench people from sweden circa 1900 & mentioned in the Blue Book. ( Note the price )
    Its also not 5.4 mm, I think 4.4 mm , It would make I would think around 3-4 Fpe ,

I think any of these guns regardless of calibre would not make much more , I say this because even though they are pneumatic, There is no breech seal & The pumping has no mechanical advantage ?
    The one I have is in very good condition ( It needs the nickel plating to the brass parts to make " Nearly " perfect for the year )

Certainly a collectible ! Possibly a museum addition for the swedes !
    Anyway, Here it is, Ged.

Last edited by gedfinn 2; 24-12-2013 at 01:01 PM.

been told a good Excellent will put out around 10 ft LBs
    Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    I'd reckon 7 or 8ft lb is more likely.....
    Found this online; "In Sweden, it is possible to freely acquire air guns with a muzzle energy not exceeding 10 joules (7.4 ft·lbf). Air guns with muzzle energy over 10 J must be registered (gun license is needed)."
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun_laws
    Maybe a good Excellent puts out around 10 Joule, not 10 ft LBs, that would keep it at the Swedish legal limit, and would be a tad under 7 1/2 ftlbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    Found this online; "In Sweden, it is possible to freely acquire air guns with a muzzle energy not exceeding 10 joules (7.4 ft·lbf). Air guns with muzzle energy over 10 J must be registered (gun license is needed)."
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun_laws
    Maybe a good Excellent puts out around 10 Joule, not 10 ft LBs, that would keep it at the Swedish legal limit, and would be a tad under 7 1/2 ftlbs.
    Thats a pretty low figure for hunting , the ones my mate from Netherlands has he has owned for over forty years which he used to hunt rabbits with ,it was him gave me the details including calibre of 5.4mm he even sent me photos and Protek are selling the same size shot of 5.4mm so are we talking of different rifles ?
    first is link to the excellent rifle they have for sale on commision 3/4 of way down page ,second one shows h&n 5.4mm balls for Swedish rifles ?
    http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/page4.html
    http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/page11.html

Ged I notice yours looks like brass , photos I have are of blued steel barrel and silver pump, handle and stock of wood .
    I checked on the Protek rifle and that too is 5.4mm perhaps they did both calibres but again Protek listing as" Excelent" Swedish air rifle.

Hello again
    firstly to answer your question to me, its been a long time since ive seen the match rifle but from memory they were only made for three years (66-70), ive had the one i think i have for over twenty years and yes its definitly 5.4mm and you can only use ball ammo in it. It is the same as the one for sale in the previous post which someone showed, in fact all three for sale above have the rotary breech of which i speak when i say you must use ball ammo, there is also a model which i think i may no longer have which has a pivoting breech or twist to the side which when open would allow a sized pellet to be placed directly into the bore and would allow the method which torrens speaks of to be adopted.
    Furthermore you will notice that protek have sold the 5.4 ammo they had for sale as it says SOLD so it must have been some they aquired rather than being correct in saying they sell it, i dont think they do as a rule, and lastly regardless of how you pump the gun they will dispatch a rabbit, ones ive had were quite powerful and discharge with a good crack, sinking a lead ball a good way into pine board, im not saying they are a 12lbs/ft gun but they are definitly more than that which has been suggested, you could also get a ball mould made so you can make your own ammo, but you would need a melting pot and the shot would be best tumbled afterwards so again it wouldnt be cheap but its not impossible if you are adamant you need an excellentgevaret, and by the way unless im mistaken the AB just means that its a swedish registered company or something like that.
    Ric