Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swedish Air rifles

Yes Ric , been finding out more of them ,both rifles the Excellent and the Bahco were from the same factory , my mate said that the Bahco,s were better quality
    but still by A B Arnheim of Sweden , his are 5.4mm I checked again after Ged,s comments , not sure about the Bahco,s but as you say the Excellents are
    more powerfull ,the law in Sweden must have changed sometime into production .
    Last edited by hawkeye; 03-12-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Ged I notice yours looks like brass , photos I have are of blued steel barrel and silver pump, handle and stock of wood .
    I checked on the Protek rifle and that too is 5.4mm perhaps they did both calibres but again Protek listing as" Excelent" Swedish air rifle.
    Hiya mate, & all,
    The Excellent & the Bahco are all brass, They were nickel coated & I removed mine as it was patchy , & I will re nickel when I am set up again,

They are identical, excepting for calibre & some later tweeks, I have to laugh when I hear of 10 Fpe !!!!!
    I have a tuned one in my hands, ( By me )
    The material thickness of the brass pump tube is very light, Certainly not given to " Hard " Pumping,

The pumping effort is considerable, & The mechanics of the pump design inhibit excessive pressure, This allied to the breech which is only a mating surface IE No seal.
    The pump head has a unique feature, It seals when pumping up, But on returning the vacuum is released via the pump head,

The barrel is blacked, Octagonal to round & smooth bored & in good condition with a very nice stock with steel shoulder " Bit "
    Believe it or not ! Haha, Ged.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've not had mine long, don't seem to be able to find a function to load a photo on here. This morning I put a few pellets through the chrono. I am unable to find any 5.4 balls, so have used a sizer off with .22 pellets. Using a 12 grain pellet I get: 4.76, 4.88 and 4.14 with 10 pumps. The difference between the first two and last I'm sure is due to pumping consistancy. The 9th and 10th pumps taking a lot off effort. I tried one more at 8 pumps and got 3.43. I haven't had it long enough to assess accuracy, but as it was designed with balls in mind I don't think it's going to be great. It has a small spring loaded plunger in the barrel just beyond the breech to prevent balls rolling out. This is not going to be doing much towards a nice stable pellet, I could remove the plunger and blank the hole off, but it is not my intention to use this for anything serious, just pure enjoyment. It's a cracking little rifle if you like things a bit different and it makes a lovely noise when fired. Shooting bunnies Nah!

Dave

Well Dave there seems to be a lot of differences in models and makers name , is yours the Excellent brand or the Bahco as per Ged,s , I was given all data from a friend in the Netherlands who has two models of the excellent rifle in 5.4mm ball shot ,he is not selling either of them so has no reason to say other than what is true in his case,Ric has a new one virtually unused he said that when he got it power was quite good
    and it has a ten shot magazine , Ged said originally they were only in 4.5mm and his was smooth bored ,all the ones I have seen for sale have
    been the 5.4mm lead ball and specified as rifled - paradox barrel,there a links on previous page for most of this and i have email from my friend confirming details of his , prices in Uk seem to be artifically high compared to EU countries and the states but not sure about customs problems
    from states importing them , I had problem previously with UK customs importing a firing pin for one of my b/a rifles (firearm) they came to the house ,checked the firearm and my certificate but still kept the firing pin , since then i hav,nt ordered outside uk .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Well Dave there seems to be a lot of differences in models and makers name , is yours the Excellent brand or the Bahco as per Ged,s , I was given all data from a friend in the Netherlands who has two models of the excellent rifle in 5.4mm ball shot ,he is not selling either of them so has no reason to say other than what is true in his case,Ric has a new one virtually unused he said that when he got it power was quite good
    and it has a ten shot magazine , Ged said originally they were only in 4.5mm and his was smooth bored ,all the ones I have seen for sale have
    been the 5.4mm lead ball and specified as rifled - paradox barrel,there a links on previous page for most of this and i have email from my friend confirming details of his , prices in Uk seem to be artifically high compared to EU countries and the states but not sure about customs problems
    from states importing them , I had problem previously with UK customs importing a firing pin for one of my b/a rifles (firearm) they came to the house ,checked the firearm and my certificate but still kept the firing pin , since then i hav,nt ordered outside uk .
    Hiya mate, & to clarify !
    I didn,t say they were 4.5mm , ( I said mine were 4.4mm )
    I said " MY " Bahco was 4.4 mm. & IS, Smooth bored,
    I care what your mate says the output was or is ! I stated that mine in the smaller calibre was all out at 4 Fpe !!! I acknowledge that a larger calibre might give slightly higher output ! But not the quoted figures ?

I might add, I take offence that you with " No previous knowledge " Of these guns would suggest outputs & Or any other information, Albeit prices , outputs, & Calibres when you haven,t a clue !!!!
    I tried to explain ,!!!!!!!!
    I being the owner of one & A repairer of a few, You seem not to acknowledge this,
    To cut to the quick,
    They with the 19th century valving & Unassisted mechanical aid " As regards pumping "
    Were & Never will be powerhouses ! EVER , Tell your mate !
    Ged.
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 05-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.

I'm not so interested in the Excellent or Bahco rifles, would love an Excllent pistol though, I really like the look of them for some reason.

Ged you also stated "they are not Excellent rifles but copies of and they are not 5.4mm " did you not ?
    As for no Knowledge of these rifles , I thought that was one of the objectives of a forum - to aquire and learn , I hav,nt seen any of the Bahco
    rifles for sale or even owned by anyone other than you so I dispute your knowledge of your own rifle but I do take notice of all that is said and and shown in the way of photos etc , there a a few replies on this post which conflict information even on the Excellent rifles themselves
    and there is different opinions on output both in pm I have had on here and previous posts but also on other forums ,take a look here -
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...quot%3B+rifle-

For me it does,nt matter about the power output anyway , I just like the sound of them and their unique looks , I do need it to hunt with it

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Mine is single shot, marked "Excellent C1" on barrel. Still haven't had chance to try it out accuracy wise, bear in mind this is open sights only (there are no dovetails) and they are fairly crude.

Dave

I got one that would not pump up or hold air ... great fun sorting it.
    The pump is basically an old style cycle pump and can be repaired as such. The inlet valve is like one of the old fashioned cycle inner tube valves that have a bit of rubber tubing on them to act as an air seal. But I did try a modern equivalent and found the thread was not quite the same. I found some new latex (?) tubing to seal the original ... from a fishing shop; the stuff fishermen use to go on floats to pass the line through. Works well. Resealing the exhaust valve was more of a challenge as you must get the seal just right. I made a new seal from a water tank ball valve seal. Not having 5.4mm ball/pellets, I started out using rolled up moist tissue balls to test my seals. At the start it just went 'phut' and travelled about 2 feet from the muzzle. Then I found a kid's paintbrush with a round plastic handle that was a perfect fit in the breech. So I cut some short lengths and used that. It took a long time to get it all right ... I shot the plastic bits into an old fleece I wear in the garden. Velocity was initially enough to go about 6ft and bounce off the fleece. But then I got it right as one plastic piece shot right through the fleece. Wonderful. This had taken about 4 days on and off.
    Ammo: I have had no joy finding 5.4mm ball in the UK but they are available from H&N; or at least they list them on the website. I tried 'forcing' a 5.5 into the barrel but it was not good. So I made a 'sizer' to form 5.5 down to 5.4 and this works well.
    So... if you can find one they are good fun but with that bicycle pump design I think they are quite hard to pump up above a plinking performance.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I got one that would not pump up or hold air ... great fun sorting it.
    The pump is basically an old style cycle pump and can be repaired as such. The inlet valve is like one of the old fashioned cycle inner tube valves that have a bit of rubber tubing on them to act as an air seal. But I did try a modern equivalent and found the thread was not quite the same. I found some new latex (?) tubing to seal the original ... from a fishing shop; the stuff fishermen use to go on floats to pass the line through. Works well. Resealing the exhaust valve was more of a challenge as you must get the seal just right. I made a new seal from a water tank ball valve seal. Not having 5.4mm ball/pellets, I started out using rolled up moist tissue balls to test my seals. At the start it just went 'phut' and travelled about 2 feet from the muzzle. Then I found a kid's paintbrush with a round plastic handle that was a perfect fit in the breech. So I cut some short lengths and used that. It took a long time to get it all right ... I shot the plastic bits into an old fleece I wear in the garden. Velocity was initially enough to go about 6ft and bounce off the fleece. But then I got it right as one plastic piece shot right through the fleece. Wonderful. This had taken about 4 days on and off.
    Ammo: I have had no joy finding 5.4mm ball in the UK but they are available from H&N; or at least they list them on the website. I tried 'forcing' a 5.5 into the barrel but it was not good. So I made a 'sizer' to form 5.5 down to 5.4 and this works well.
    So... if you can find one they are good fun but with that bicycle pump design I think they are quite hard to pump up above a plinking performance.
    Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil, very informative , where did you find yours ?

Thanks Phil, very informative , where did you find yours ?
    I found it in a bundle of maybe 5 other rifles ... Original 15/16 etc, some A/F etc at an auction for a ridiculously low price. I had no idea what it was at the time, thinking it was just a 'kid's toy rifle'. It was only when I started to look through various books that we found out what it was.
    As I say ... great fun.
    I did try to get 5.4mm ball in Sweden and Norway about 18 months ago. A shop selling air guns in Malmo (Sweden) had never heard of 5.4 ball. The Norwegian shop, at Lillesand, said they do sometimes have them but had none when I visited. Interestingly, during conversation with the owner (it was a soft air / air gun shop by the way) he told me there was no power limit on .177 but that all.22 air rifles needed a licence. I hope I understood him correctly.
    I am still looking for 5.4ball.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I found it in a bundle of maybe 5 other rifles ... Original 15/16 etc, some A/F etc at an auction for a ridiculously low price. I had no idea what it was at the time, thinking it was just a 'kid's toy rifle'. It was only when I started to look through various books that we found out what it was.
    As I say ... great fun.
    I did try to get 5.4mm ball in Sweden and Norway about 18 months ago. A shop selling air guns in Malmo (Sweden) had never heard of 5.4 ball. The Norwegian shop, at Lillesand, said they do sometimes have them but had none when I visited. Interestingly, during conversation with the owner (it was a soft air / air gun shop by the way) he told me there was no power limit on .177 but that all.22 air rifles needed a licence. I hope I understood him correctly.
    I am still looking for 5.4ball.
    Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil , as for the ball shot in 5.4mm Protek have them from time to time .