Thread: Paper punching dioptre sight question

Paper punching dioptre sight question

I just bought some new sights & raisers.

The raiser allows me the ability to move the sight over to either side by 4mm. I thought that's great. It means the sight will fall more naturally on the eye. However I am now thinking. If both front & rear sights are 4mm off centre in order to have the rifle shooting where I'm aiming will I not then need to adjust it 4mm back across?

I'm kinda split on this one as at the same time I'm thinking no because the front sight does not move I would actually need to move it more left so that the line from the rear sight to front sight to POI crosses the pellets line.

Someone please help my brain out.

Thanks
    Andy
    Andy
    Kit: AirArms S400: Hawke Sport-HD 3-9x40 AO IR: AirArms CZ200T 6ftlbs with dioptre sight

Moving your rear block left is just like adjusting your rear sight left ie moving the shot left. If you then move your front block left you are in effect resighting back in to the right.

In actual fact to keep your rear sight in mid adjustment your blocks should be very slightly out of line with each other.

Don't worry about the mechanics, just do it & enjoy!

Happy shooting.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Both front & rear sights are now offset to the left so if I aim down the sights will the POI not be right of my POA?

Andy
    Andy
    Kit: AirArms S400: Hawke Sport-HD 3-9x40 AO IR: AirArms CZ200T 6ftlbs with dioptre sight

Yes, when you re-zero, you will end up adjusting the windage to the left. If you had only off set the rearsight, you would have to adjust the rearsight by 4mm, but as you have offset both sights, the windage adjustment will be less.

i am assured that the foresight has to be 0.35mm closer to the barrel than the rear sight to make the POA of the barrel and the Sights POA the same
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by acrybb View Post
    i am assured that the foresight has to be 0.35mm closer to the barrel than the rear sight to make the POA of the barrel and the Sights POA the same
    Yes they will be out of line with each other if done correctly.

I don't know the exact measurements as that will depend on your particular rifle & set up but as I stated in my post above the further you offset your blocks the more out of line the will become to get zero.

The same is true for height of your blocks too should you decide to go to the max 60mm allowed on the forsight.

People who shoot at 6yds will find the offsets between blocks for both height & offset much greater than at 10mtrs.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Yeah if you shoot zeroed at 6 yards then shoot at 10 with my setup the pellet will land right.
    Andy