Thread: Scope Mounting

Scope Mounting

Hi All,

Is it just me, or do other people have trouble making sure the scope reticule is dead vertical / horizontal

Obviously if you get it wrong then the poi is going to be out horizontally / vertically, at ranges other than your zero point.

I wondered if the scope manufacturers could put an engraved line down the top of the scope and scope mount manufacturers mark the exact middle of the top mount section, it would make fitting a new scope so much easier !

I also have a design on paper for a new ( I think )
    type of scope mounting system but I'm not sure if any scope manufacturers would be prepared to try it out. It would eliminate the above scope problem, allow infinitely different scope heights without changing the mounts, eliminate scope tube nipping and could even incorporate rubber shock absorbtion as well. ( all from one kit )

If a scope manufacturer took it on they'd have to make the mounts as well though.

Does anyone know who the most approachable, innovative scope makers are?

Norm

good call.

I just came up with a way of making my millions as well. reusable ice cubes, clear plastic coated, saves watering down the spirits and reusable, so you should never run out.

Hang a weighted string behind a door and, provided you shoulder your rifle correctly, you can twiddle the sight for correct horizontal / vertical alignment as well as eye relief.

Just hang the scope loose in the mounts. Be careful if its too loose cos the scope may fall, screw the mounts too tight and they may scratch the scope.

Sub Sea Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Sea Sniper
    Hang a weighted string behind a door and, provided you shoulder your rifle correctly, you can twiddle the sight for correct horizontal / vertical alignment as well as eye relief.

Just hang the scope loose in the mounts. Be careful if its too loose cos the scope may fall, screw the mounts too tight and they may scratch the scope.

Sub Sea Sniper
    Any chance you could run that by us again SubSea? Or is it just me?

Right,

Hang a plumb line type string over the top of an internal door, the weight will keep it vertical (obviously). Mount your scope on the rifle but do not overtighten the clamps, you want enough slack to be able to slide the scope about.

Shoulder the rifle, holding it upright (which you should be doing when you shoot). Slide the rifle back and forth for correct eye relief then turn the scope until the vertical crosshair lines up with the string on the door. Do this properly and it should be pretty much bang on, for your stance anyway.

I'm sure there are more scientific methods for doing this but it works for me.

Sub Sea Sniper

First I loosly mount the scope in the mounts on the rifle (not loose so they will slip and scratch but enough to be able to move them carefully. I then shoulder the rifle and adjust the scope for the correct eye relief - this is a very personal thing. I then make a note of where the scope sits in relationship to the rifle.

I then put the rifle in a workmate or similar, using a towel to protect the stock. With a spirit level I make the rifle sit horizontal, then ensure it's held tight enough not to move.

I then put the scope in the mounts (in the position noted above) and use the spirit level on the top turret cap or turret, level this up and then carefully tighten the scope rings up.

As I do this I keep checking that everything is level as I go. May sound a bit crude but it certainly works for me, and if it doesn't look right when shouldered I do it again until it does.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable