Thread: AA S410 .177 Classic

Cornish Hunter Guest

AA S410 .177 Classic

Hi,
    received my new chrono yesterday and put the first 10 shots through it using the AA field's 4.52. at 110bar, average was 12.23lbs.

Can anybody PM me the guide to staying legal with this rifle.

Many Thanks

Neil

Cornish by birth, location, or both?
    Is your gun new? If so, AirArms usually set it up with AA Fields to just over 11ftlbs. What kind of chrono is it? Do you set the pellet wt, or work the whole thing out using the formula? If you're certain it's over the limit, email me, and I'll tell you how to turn it down, as we can't discuss this over a public forum. People on here like a bit more detail, eg. location,, on your profile.
    "One and All...!"
    Gus.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

s410

Try cosman acupell through it. My 410 shoots very well with them.
    When I had my 177 classic checked crosman gave consistant readings around 11.5ftibs over an 80 shot test from 190 bar fill. A 200 bar fill gives less power in the first 10 - 20 shots.
    When aa pellets were used it took the rifle well over 12ftlbs
    The test was done with 190 bar fill for about 40 shots.
    Sam Vimes is a man to talk to about this subject. He has done extensive tests with lots of kinds of pellets.
    The power is adjustable very easily to bring it under 12ftlbs.
    Do a long test from 190 bar to find where the sweet spot is.
    Good luck.
    S410, Lanber 12g , Mossberg sa 12g.
    Good deal with Bunnyhunter and Stuart mini

Cornish Hunter Guest
    Hi,Gwylan,
    Cornish through and through. The chrono I'm using is a Combro mk4. You can select the pellet weight so I know that it's working it out right. I'm concerned that it's just going over the legal limit. I had considered using Bisley magnums for the bunnies but I pretty sure that as they are over 2 grams heavier they would be well over the limit.

I'll send you an email if you don't mind.

Cheers Neil

Hi Neil
    I see you live in Helston. If you pop in to Helston gunsmiths Rommel will almost certainly chrono it for you and turn it down if needs be. He doesn't usually charge, just buy a tin of pellets or something

Dave

DJP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko
    Try cosman acupell through it. My 410 shoots very well with them.
    When I had my 177 classic checked crosman gave consistant readings around 11.5ftibs over an 80 shot test from 190 bar fill. A 200 bar fill gives less power in the first 10 - 20 shots.
    When aa pellets were used it took the rifle well over 12ftlbs
    The test was done with 190 bar fill for about 40 shots.
    Sam Vimes is a man to talk to about this subject. He has done extensive tests with lots of kinds of pellets.
    The power is adjustable very easily to bring it under 12ftlbs.
    Do a long test from 190 bar to find where the sweet spot is.
    Good luck.
    Dicko, mine does 9.5fpe with Accupells and 11.5 with BisMags. If you're getting 11.5 with Accys then you're likely to be well over with anything heavier. You might wanna check...

ATB

Cornish Hunter Guest
    Egghead, The rifle is not over 12 ft.lbs throughout the whole range but it does step over it at some points.

I put 60 shots through yesterday from 160 bar, the results were 793 average, 777 lowest and 811 highest or 11.86 average,11.40 lowest and 12.43 highest. usinf AA fields 4.52 8.44 grains.

Unless rommel is prepared to let me do a whole string of shots, I rather do it myself. Rommel gives me and a lot others the impression that the rifle is legal when I know for a fact they are not. My brother in law has the .22 version of the same rifle his chrono'd at 14.88 H&M fields. Rommels said "that's fine" when last chrono'd. My buddy has a Gunpower stealth using the H&N's and it was 13.56 and Rommel again said "yep that's Fine". I personally won't be going there again as he clearly is misleading us and potentially landing us in the clink.

Would somebody please PM me the instrction on how to reduce the power myself?

Rumplestiltskin Guest
    A spread of 30+fps seems a little much, especially from a 160bar fill (190-200bar, maybe) I'd be expecting no more than 10fps spread over the string you tested.
    It sounds as though you need a little more tension on the Firing Valve Spring, this will improve the consistancy and reduce the power a little.
    Last edited by Rumplestiltskin; 16-04-2005 at 07:53 AM.

I agree with Rumpo.. that's too much of a variation, and the gun needs looking at. The normal tweaking method won't help here. You are right to get it sorted, you are breaking the law if the gun "is capable of exceeding 12ftlbs." Clearly it is. If it's still under warranty, get AA to sort it. You could try Dale Foster, "Rockdrill" on the BBS. He's into surfing at the moment, but he may put you onto someone at Cornwall FT club. (Check the SWEFTA website.)
    HTH
    Gus.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

If you shoot your s400 until it is at the top of its power curve and then take it into rommel he will turn it down for you. If you want to do it yourself he will show you how to do it. If you have the manual for the s400 one of the blow ups shows where the power adjuster is, I sold my 400 a while ago but if memory serves it is a tiny allen headed screw on the right hand side of the action - standby for avalanche of post telling you I'm wrong

Dave