Thread: Tr140

Question Tr140

TR140...anyone using this...thinking that it will be a good replacement (and cheaper) than n130 that i use for 308 at the mo...also wondered if it would be any good for 303, as i dont want to double up on powder...?

thanks

jon
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

I use this in my 308win its very like N140 but its £50 per kg. Can send you some load data if you want
    Dont no about 303 tho it should be ok

There seem to have been many discussions about whether TR140 was the same/similar to N140. I do know several people who use N140 (but not N130) in both .303 and .308 quite successfully.

The first dozen posts on this thread might be of interest:

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6754

and here too:

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index...ic=15081&st=20

but I expect you will have seen these already!

Thumbs up thanks!

thanks all - just looked those posts up - cheers!

i meant n140 (typo error )

i'll work up some loads and see how i get on...

ATB
    Jon

Tr140 data

This load date for .308win. If you find a load for N140 for .303 you can use this but you must use the start load with Tr140 dont
    just goto the max load. What weight bullet you using with the .303

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2012/04/tr140-load-data/

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...
    I use TR140 for 7.62 and .303.

It is not the same as N140.

I'd email the supplier for data:
    commonside@compuserve.com I think.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

The lad that sold me the powder mate over at fox firearms told me you could do this, he no what he on
    about. You should start with a start load anyway just to be on the safe side.

The importer of TR140 says that it's similar, but not the same. I use it to reload 2 cartridges and the loads are different to the Viht data.

As suggested above, email Nigel at the address given (it's also on the container label), he'll give you qualified data where available, and suggestions when not.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
    This load date for .308win. If you find a load for N140 for .303 you can use this but you must use the start load with Tr140 dont
    just goto the max load. What weight bullet you using with the .303

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2012/04/tr140-load-data/
    i picked up some L&B 180grs...but from what i have read 174grs SMK work well also?

Thumbs up Ta

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    The importer of TR140 says that it's similar, but not the same. I use it to reload 2 cartridges and the loads are different to the Viht data.

As suggested above, email Nigel at the address given (it's also on the container label), he'll give you qualified data where available, and suggestions when not.
    will do...i'll do a few different batches and work my way up to decent load from what you guys have outlined above - many thanks!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    This is an interesting one.

I was talking to a chap called Steve East a few weeks back, who is a well respected TR shot ( team, coach etc) and he was involved with testing some loads they were going to have proofed for use as a club load.

They get a very good deal on TR140 in bulk, and were formerly using N140.

I use N140 on my 7.62x51, my .308 F/TR rifle, and my No4, so it seemed to make sense to use the cheaper powder in my less critical rifles.

The stink of it seems to be that they are different, if anything the TR being a tad slower.

That said, 3 people on one range all had different opinions, I base my comments on advice from folk like Steve (who have chronoed several hundred rounds accross a competitive load development program for sale as a loaded round) and Mik Mak, who does a lot of LD fof F class and other folk, and also sells TR140...and is an acredited balistic testing type chappie...so they might know what they are on about.

The both say it has proven to be slower.

A mate who used to use N140 in a .303 says he is now half a grain up, so I am going to load my old N140 load (that was low enough anyway) and 42gr of TR also and see how it goes.

The rifle has proven OK with 43gr of DO73.6 which si a double base, faster powder in any event.

Lauri holland was saying they are almost interchangeable, but like most things, you have to be sensible.

As an aside, if you have purchase the 180gr .303 S&B bullets lately, take a close look at them, the have changed.

I thought there had been some mistake.

The Base and the Ogive has changed, and the bullet is a slightly different length. The boat tail seems steeper when compared with the original, and they look a better quality bullet.

My point is that there was a 20thou difference when loaded with my standard .303 die setting for the older S&B .303 bullet (180gr), and this was the same when I bunged both in a comparator.

Diameter is the same.

I will be interested to see how they go.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Bloke that gave me the loading data for Tr140 told me i could not use it with the 45/70. But
    If look in the Hodgdon basic reloading book on page 13. N140 and Varget are next to each
    other in there Burn rate. In my Lee book that came with the 45/70 dies you can use 40gr
    Varget with 405gr lead bullet. and thats a start load.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
    Bloke that gave me the loading data for Tr140 told me i could not use it with the 45/70. But
    If look in the Hodgdon basic reloading book on page 13. N140 and Varget are next to each
    other in there Burn rate. In my Lee book that came with the 45/70 dies you can use 40gr
    Varget with 405gr lead bullet. and thats a start load.
    Novel,

The chart I occasionally look at Si puts Varget at 94, H4895 at 99 (slower, my preffered LR .308 powder) and N140 at 109...

Just shows, it pays to get a start load and work it up, there are no really large shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    i picked up some L&B 180grs...but from what i have read 174grs SMK work well also?

With 180gr you start at 36gr COL of 3.071, 78mm. for the 174gr its 38.4gr. Hope that some help.

Fellas

For what it's worth, a well known gun plummer and F Class/Ballistics guru has just told me quite literally to load the same as an N140 load and try them side by side with my usual load.

Trust me it works he says.....Well I trust him, so might do that (the N140 load is well within limits anyway).