Thread: Magnifying lens with diopter sights

Magnifying lens with diopter sights

I've just bought a replacement front sight assembly from eGun for my FWB150. It came fitted with a post element and a magnifying lens. The lens is held in a brass mount, inserted into the sight assembly from the front. The glass does not appear to be of particularly good quality, no coatings and some image distortion everywhere but the centre. I would guess magnification is about 1.5x. I understand that these are not permitted under ISSF rules, but as I only shoot beer cans that's not an issue Has anyone used such a lens before? I've no particular questions, but it's a quirky bit of airgun paraphernalia I've not encountered before. I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as the weather improves.

Matt

Have a look around for eagle eye lenses, they were quite commonly used in .22lr target shooting when I was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by niloc View Post
    Have a look around for eagle eye lenses, they were quite commonly used in .22lr target shooting when I was doing it.
    Ah thanks. It seems the Eagle Eye lenses are still available. There are no markings on this one, so no indication of strength or manufacturer. Are they used purely to aid defective eyesight, or were they at one time permitted as a general aid to shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    Ah thanks. It seems the Eagle Eye lenses are still available. There are no markings on this one, so no indication of strength or manufacturer. Are they used purely to aid defective eyesight, or were they at one time permitted as a general aid to shooting?
    They are certainly not just used only to aid defective eyesight in the UK, it seems that a good number of people fitted them (like many other bits) because they seem to help, whether this is actually borne out in reality is another story.

I see, thanks niloc. I will post a full report when I've tried it out

Matt

An eagle eye just makes the target appear larger. This canmake it easier to see, and therefore easier to hit. However eagle eyes are not a cure-all, and AFAIK cannot be used in 10m air competition.

Personally I believe a lens prescribed specificaloy for shooting, by an optician who understands the game, and worn in glasses or attached to the rearsight (rules allowing) is better. A prescription lens will focus the eye at the correct spot (ahead of the foresight) for a sharp foresight and a not-too-blurry target, with no strain on the eye muscles. An adjustable rearsight dioptre, as made by Gehmann and Centra, can give the focus, and does enlarge the target, but isn't ideal.