Thread: Classic Carbon League - Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Classic Carbon League - Anyone?

My attempt to get some of those Classic spring powered and SSP pistols out of the loft/cupboard ( wherever they have been lurking all this time) seems to have been fairly successful and those that are shooting them in the Muscle Power League are enjoying the competiton and the chance to press those wonderful old Classic air pistols back into regular action again.

The MPL has given them a new purpose and their owners some good competition at a very affordable price to encourage more people to try competetive pistol shooting.

However, my love of Classic air pistols recognises that there is still another small group of Classic air pistols that also need a rescue bid to get them back into action again and that is the single shot CO2 powered match pistols!

Like their spring powered and SSP cousins from a similar time period, these pistols can also be found still in good working order and can be bought at nice low prices ( compared to PCP pistols) and so I think we should find an excuse to get them back into action again as well.

Having floated the idea, I will put some more meat on the bones by preparing a set of rules along similar lines to those that we have at the moment with the MPL.

Maybe this idea will be liked - maybe not - but I think it could be just as enjoyable and inexpensive as taking part in as the MPL, and if it is run on similar lines it could be good fun as well.

There is even the possibility of including it as a sub-section of the MPL with a suitably adjusted score ( say minus 2 points per card) or as a complete "stand alone" series to be shot on a different week to the MPL.

Lets see what response this thread gets ( if any) and see how things go. If I can get enough interest we will have found a way to drag all of the old Classic air pistols (pre PCP) back into the Clubs and onto the ranges.
    Last edited by zooma; 12-12-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I can see this is going to cost me.

What have you got for sale?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I can see this is going to cost me.

What have you got for sale?

ATB
    Ian
    Come into my parlour and see...and bring the HW55M with you!
    Last edited by zooma; 12-12-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Would love to but no co2 target pistols in my cupboard I'm new to this shooting lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat stig View Post
    Would love to but no co2 target pistols in my cupboard I'm new to this shooting lark.
    If we get it going I can lend you one - Feinwerkbau OK?

And what has THAT got to do with it?

Neither have I . . . . . . . . . . yet.

ATB
    TC1

That's what I like to hear - positive thinking - let's keep those negative thought waves at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Come into my parlour and see..
    So what lightweight Co2 pistols do you have then Bob???

I swear you are on some kind of mission to get us in trouble with our other halves

I still have that FWB C20 you tried out for sale!

I did like the co2 I tried only thing that puts me off is the filling it up, I'm all set for pcp with a tank & I like my springer's. Not sure I need another system to mess with but will definitely give the comp a go with a loaner

I did like the co2 I tried only thing that puts me off is the filling it up, I'm all set for pcp with a tank & I like my springer's. Not sure I need another system to mess with but will definitely give the comp a go with a loaner
    Good point TC2. I hadn't thought of that.
    What CO2 target pistols run off those silly little cartridges?

Still on with the theme of Classic Pistols like those used in the 'MPL' and the proposed 'Carbon Classic' - couldn't we have a 'Webley Classic' section? Scoring would be easy. First to hit the black would be the winner!!!!!

ATB
    TC1
    Last edited by I. J.; 13-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.

TC2?????

Tempted r u by the dark side..... Selling soul for a fill of gas?
    Speaking of gas which traitor does that remind me of???
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by karandras View Post
    So what lightweight Co2 pistols do you have then Bob???

Try a Feinwerkbau Model 2 Compact - that is a really nice little pistol, but the TAU 7 and Alfa Prod are also well liked and not too heavy.

I swear you are on some kind of mission to get us in trouble with our other halves

Absolutely!

I still have that FWB C20 you tried out for sale!
    Your C20 is a superbly accurate pistol - as good as any PCP - shame it is a little too heavy for you - but it will get snapped-up by some lucky person if we get this Classic Carbon League up and running - especially with that rare Morini Wedge grip it has on it.

If Nocity buys it he will only need another 3 CO2 pistols to get his full set !

CO2 for the old and infirm!

Some of us "senior" shooters (and those carrying injuries) that really enjoy shooting the Classic air pistols also admit that the prolonged cocking of a pistol like the HW45 or even the mighty FWB Model 65/80 can be a bit of a strain following a long session.........and the SSP pistols can be just as bad or worse!

The CO2 pistols can be as easy to cock and operate as a PCP, and so this may also add to their appeal as well.

They are also very cheap to run ( CO2 bulk cylinders seem to last forever inbetween fills) and/or have the convenience of the small CO2 Sparklets type bulbs that can be easlly carried in the pocket or pistol case for immeadiate replenishment.

CO2 Classic single shot air pistols have a lot going for them and deserve to be acknowledged in the same way that we have already done for the springers and SSP pistols in the MPL - they will never replace these other models - that is NOT the idea - the idea is to get them back into the clubs and onto the ranges again so we remember what we may have missed the first time around and enjoy them now they have become Classics and are much more affordable.

The Classic Carbon League could be good fun, and another excuse to shoot some different toys!

How about shooting it during the first week of the month ? - always the week after the MPL has been shot so it is easy enough to remember!

What is the Muscle Power League

First I've heard of this what is the MPL is it another locals only fraternity. I have lots of old spring target pistols that need use (by me) before we all go rusty.

co2

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    My attempt to get some of those Classic spring powered and SSP pistols out of the loft/cupboard ( wherever they have been lurking all this time) seems to have been fairly successful and those that are shooting them in the Muscle Power League are enjoying the competiton and the chance to press those wonderful old Classic air pistols back into regular action again.

The MPL has given them a new purpose and their owners some good competition at a very affordable price to encourage more people to try competetive pistol shooting.

However, my love of Classic air pistols recognises that there is still another small group of Classic air pistols that also need a rescue bid to get them back into action again and that is the single shot CO2 powered match pistols!

Like their spring powered and SSP cousins from a similar time period, these pistols can also be found still in good working order and can be bought at nice low prices ( compared to PCP pistols) and so I think we should find an excuse to get them back into action again as well.

Having floated the idea, I will put some more meat on the bones by preparing a set of rules along similar lines to those that we have at the moment with the MPL.

Maybe this idea will be liked - maybe not - but I think it could be just as enjoyable and inexpensive as taking part in as the MPL, and if it is run on similar lines it could be good fun as well.

There is even the possibility of including it as a sub-section of the MPL with a suitably adjusted score ( say minus 2 points per card) or as a complete "stand alone" series to be shot on a different week to the MPL.

Lets see what response this thread gets ( if any) and see how things go. If I can get enough interest we will have found a way to drag all of the old Classic air pistols (pre PCP) back into the Clubs and onto the ranges.

Sounds good to me Bob , the old BRNO could do with a dust :-)