Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Carbon League - Anyone?

I own 1 C25 pistol.
    Have you also taken heed of the guidance regarding steel CO2 cylinders ?

CO2- gas cylinder – Steel design
    After 10 years the CO2 - gas cylinders made out of steel must be examined by the manufacturer. During
    the in house examination the steel CO2 - gas cylinders are inspected for corrosion not visible on the
    outside. If there is no corrosion the CO2 -gas cylinder are proof pressure retested and provided with new
    seals as well as marked with new test datum for a fee.
    If there is corrosion or the CO2 - gas cylinder fails the proof pressure retest, the cylinder will be disposed
    of without any risk. In this case the customer will be inform by FEINWERKBAU that the CO2 – gas cylinder
    can not be used anymore without risk.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    I own 1 C25 pistol.
    Have you also taken heed of the guidance regarding steel CO2 cylinders ?

CO2- gas cylinder – Steel design
    After 10 years the CO2 - gas cylinders made out of steel must be examined by the manufacturer. During
    the in house examination the steel CO2 - gas cylinders are inspected for corrosion not visible on the
    outside. If there is no corrosion the CO2 -gas cylinder are proof pressure retested and provided with new
    seals as well as marked with new test datum for a fee.
    If there is corrosion or the CO2 - gas cylinder fails the proof pressure retest, the cylinder will be disposed
    of without any risk. In this case the customer will be inform by FEINWERKBAU that the CO2 – gas cylinder
    can not be used anymore without risk.
    Sorry I did not know that you had sold one of your two C25 pistols.

Yes we are aware of that advice regarding the steel CO2 cylinders.

Any sign of corrosion inside the steel CO2 cylinder and it is scrapped.

It is very unusual to see any sign of rust inside the steel Feinwerkbau CO2 cylinders, but they should be checked and re-sealed to be sure, and this advice is passed on to all our members now that CO2 pistols are becoming more popular as shooters become interested in the Classic Carbon League.

We are not being hyper-sensitive to the 10 year age of cylinders generally as we are aware of the debate concerning them, however the cast alloy "paint pot"shaped cylinder as used on the C25/C55 pistols is now known to have been cast from an alloy that Feinwerkbau later discovered to embrittle with age.

If the alloy continue's to embrittle as it gets older it is reasonable to assume that it becomes more at risk as the years go by - and this is not good news for a pressure container ! No other cylinder product has been made from a material that the manufacturer has later reported as deteriorating with age in this way.

Feinwerkbau should be applauded for being so responsible by identifying this problem, and we are being responsible by not allowing them in our club given the 30 year or so age of most of the cast alloy cylinders that are still fitted to most of the C25/C55 pistols we have seen. As you know Feinwerkbau will not test these early cast type cylinders to extend their life and they will not re-certify them either - unlike the steel types that are made from a much more stable material.

Using a C25/C55 in private with expired cylinders is the owners free choice, and as long as he or she understands that there may be some risk with the decaying cast cylinder then that is their own free choice, but we have decided with the information now available that we do not want to take that risk on our own club range as we have a duty of care to all our members and visitors and do not want to expose them to it (or ourselves for that matter).

New C25/C55 cylinders can be purchased to extend the life of these pistols by a further 10 years, and we have no new information about the material used to manufacture these revised shape pressure containers, but it would be surprising if Feinwerkbau had not changed the material they now make them from when they also changed the shape from one that looked a bit like a pineapple ( some say like a hand grenade) to the newer rounded shape that no longer has these flat land areas on the surface.

We have no C25 pistols in our club and so we have no members that have been adversely affected by this rule - other than myself!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I do see your point , it is better to be safe than sorry ,especially as you are running a club.

(For anyone interested new C25/C55 cylinders are about 100 euro + shipping.)
    Evo 10 Compact.

I do see your point , it is better to be safe than sorry ,especially as you are running a club.

(For anyone interested new C25/C55 cylinders are about 100 euro + shipping.)
    Thanks - that is the point exactly - we have nothing at all against the C25 which is a very fine and accurate CO2 pistol.

Do you have enough members at your club to join in with either the Classic Carbon League or the MPL series?

It really is good fun between the two local clubs that are having a go at the moment. We try to get everyone involved - even the beginners, and then we take the average of all the scores as the Club result for the monthly match.

Naturally the averages are not so high - and it is a fun competition to get more people taking part with pistols they can afford to buy without thinking they have any dissadvantage as some do when competing against the more expensive PCP pistols in other competitions.

It is also well worth getting involved just for the banter that goes with it!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks - that is the point exactly - we have nothing at all against the C25 which is a very fine and accurate CO2 pistol.

Do you have enough members at your club to join in with either the Classic Carbon League or the MPL series?

It really is good fun between the two local clubs that are having a go at the moment. We try to get everyone involved - even the beginners, and then we take the average of all the scores as the Club result for the monthly match.

It is also well worth getting involved for the banter that goes with it!

Especially beginners!

I aint seen any of this banter you mention.

ATB
    TC1
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Especially beginners!

I aint seen any of this banter you mention.

ATB
    TC1
    The "Karbon Kid" returns I see

Only to give us more good news and to show off about the vast numbers of new Rivvy shooters he successfully persueded to shoot in the CCL at the weekend I guess

I'm the only person in our club who owns a CO2 pistol. I was thinking of joining in but I'm doing 3 postal leagues at the moment and sometimes have a job to shoot them by the specified date.
    Evo 10 Compact.

I'm the only person in our club who owns a CO2 pistol. I was thinking of joining in but I'm doing 3 postal leagues at the moment and sometimes have a job to shoot them by the specified date.
    I know exactly what you mean.

We decided not to shoot in the Eley competition this year as we felt we had enough going-on in our club and did not want to overload ourselves.

Three competitions going on at the same time probably is enough for most club members to take on. We are fortunate with our choice as none of them are too demanding on our time so we can keep them as something to look forward to and not something that becomes a chore.

We still have plenty of time for some relaxed shooting most weeks, so right now I think we have the balance just about right - and still have time for some bell target shooting as well!

Let us know if things change and you get a sudden rush of interest in any of the Classic air pistols - even if most of your club share pistols to make up the team numbers - this is often what we do!

Latest scores.

Paul Wray - 260 Tau 7
    Ian Jones - 255 - FWB C20.
    John Ward - 251 FWB Mod 2 compact.
    Steve Wilson - 247 Tau 7
    Bob Stiles - 246 FWB Mod 2
    Richard Shepherd - 236 - Alfa Prod.
    Ray Boucher - 232. - FWB C10.
    Geoff Radovic - 229 - FWB C20.
    Jackie Radovic - 229 FWB C10

I have given My C20 to John Gould to play with today, so hopefully he will join in the CCL with it and boost the numbers ( how can he resist?)

What is the Muscle Power League

First I've heard of this what is the MPL is it another locals only fraternity. I have lots of old spring target pistols that need use (by me) before we all go rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat Willi View Post
    First I've heard of this what is the MPL is it another locals only fraternity. I have lots of old spring target pistols that need use (by me) before we all go rusty.
    This is the Carbon Classic League thread.

This: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....hats-that-then may help with regards to the Muscle Power League. The rules and regs are in there somewhere amongst all the chaff.

Toot toot!

HTH
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat Willi View Post
    Hi Willi,

We would welcome anyone who would like to shoot in the MPL, or the Classic Carbon League - it does not have to be a locals only event.

Both series can be entered by anyone, although the MPL is mainly directed at club teams, so if you have any club-mates or friends that can from a team that would be great. The CCL at the moment is being run as an individual event, but we are hoping as more people start to take part we can also include a team competition.

Please take a look on my site ( see address below) where the rules for both are clearly displayed and get back to me if you are interested.

You may also like to read the most popular BBS thread - "Muscle Power League - what's that then" where the MPL rules are also clearly displayed on the very first entry.

The first week of each month is CCL week!

We are a bit late this month - so lets get busy and catch up!

If anyone would like to be best mates with IJ ( The Carbon Kid) - just ask him how many grams of CO2 he can squeeze into his two sizes of Feinwerkbau cylinders.

........and then put your ear defenders on because it could be a long night !

Please don't ask him when he is in RMTC though as we need to lock up at 10pm - he definately has a gasious form of OCD - or as Ian likes to organise it - CDO - so it is in the correct order