Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crosman 761 XL

hi pete, many thanx for pics.. kind rgds.. J. S. D.

Quote Originally Posted by JSD View Post
    hi pete, many thanx for pics.. kind rgds.. J. S. D.
    You aremost welcome.
    I love my 761xl. It is basically a sound little rifle which with a few tweeks can become a cracker. Mine wasn't particularly accurate when acquired but is now a tack driver, thanks to the rifled barrel.
    If anyone has a 760 xl or 761 xl that they feel isn't as accurate as it ought to be, just ask me and I will tell you how to improve it. ?.....as long as the rifling has not been shot out by shooting too many steel bb's.

Pete.

Crosman 761

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Does any one own the 761XL?

I have never seen one other than in photos. Is this the famous Whalley Crosman? I certainly like the bolt and breech on this rifle but I must be in a minority because no one ever enthuses about them. For a crosman this thing looks solid....I doubt that they ever reached these shores but I remember reading reviews in the magazines and trying to save for one-even though I had never even seen one for sale! Any one else have the same late 70s memories?
    I had a 761 as well as a 766 back in 1975. The 761 was a much lighter gun and although it was made to the same Crosman standard, I felt it was not as nice as the bigger 766.
    On the 761, Imade the piston adjustable on my Dad's lathe to get maximum air compression......it did improve the power a little but the piston and cylinder was smaller than on the 766.
    I remember I made a decent job of changing the plastic stock and fore end for home made wooden ones on the 766.
    Great memories....I'd love another 766 now!!