Thread: Best Powder Deals Thread?

Best Powder Deals Thread?

Alright,

Needing to restock on powder in the near future and being relatively new to reloading, I'm a tad perplexed over the choices and also the varying prices.

Just wondering if we could start a thread on best price for x powder and what calibre it is good for?

I know everyone has different opinions on what is best etc and there is a huge difference between those like me who is happy with an ok group and others who want all rounds through the same hole, but may be a start for ten.

At present I'm using Reloader No7 for .303 and Vhit N165 for 300 RUM, looking at possibly Vhit N140 for .223 and .308 but not sure. I have also heard good things about Ramshot and that is a nice price with Valmount Firearms.

What you guys think?

Regards,

Diehard

Look for Tr 140 mate its £50 per kg works with 303, 308.

This is a bit of a problem thread, to be sure. Most of us go for what is available where we live - even if if means having to travel a number of miles to find it. My local dealer [rt - 30 miles] has a very small selection of VERY highly priced powders, and TTTT, he's really the only game in town for many of us in this area. I've tried getting interest in a bulk buy from a dealer with a LOT more choice at a far better price, but folks don't seem to be interested.

I like IMR4064 - I use it in ALL my different centre fire rifles, a total of nine slightly different loads. For my LBR I settled on Unique about forty years ago, and have had no cause to change.

Shooting one of the newer high-capacity cased loads, I'd be inclined to go with the advice on the 6mmBR site for much of it, and experiment a bit. The UK's famous Vince Bottomley is a writer there, too But with the price of the stuff over here, I try and get the best load that I can screw out of as few different powders as possible.

Over in sunny Oregon - 6500 miles away from Finland, I could buy a 1kg tub of Vihtavuori powder for $70. And THAT's because it always on the shelf of my home store - NorthWest Firearms. For most over there it's just waaaaay too expensive, and they stick to the usual stuff - average price around $25 a pound.

tac

Same here, I choose my loads based on the powder I can get at a reasonable price. And when I do go anywhere else in the country, I take my ticket and always plan to visit gunshops around my destination. Luckily I've found TR140 does the job for both my 7mm-08 and 22-250, and I can get it locally for £55 a kilo, so I don't look around too much.

I understand the comment s re: what is local to you as the powders I currently use I 'stumbled across' hence I'm following the same path.

However, when looking around again for more options, I see that valmont will post powder to you... I was under the impression a) you need a license to purchase and b) mail dont like explosives (unless contracted).

No licence needed to purchase powder, primers yes, but not powder.

Most suppliers will "post", but it'll cost £25 to send it via the only allowed service.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    No licence needed to purchase powder, primers yes, but not powder.

Most suppliers will "post", but it'll cost £25 to send it via the only allowed service.
    Ouch... Ok going local again

Well i pick my up from foxfirearms on the way to the club i use, if i was using N140 it would be about
    £70 per kg so i save a lot of cash using tr140

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I understand the comment s re: what is local to you as the powders I currently use I 'stumbled across' hence I'm following the same path.

However, when looking around again for more options, I see that valmont will post powder to you... I was under the impression a) you need a license to purchase and b) mail dont like explosives (unless contracted).
    1. Provided that you pay the £25 HAZMAT carrier charge.

2. The stuff we reload with is NOT an explosvie, like Black Powder, which IS a Class 1 Explosive. They are called propellants.

3. Going into a out-of-area gun store the owner MIGHT ask you if you have your license with you, but on the other paw, he might not. It is not required to purchase propellant, but IS required to purchase primers in a gun store that you do not usually frequent and where the staff does not know you.

4. Two licenses are needed for Black Powder - one to acquire/store, and one to transport the stuff when you have bought it.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 14-12-2012 at 11:09 PM.

to the OP:

There are two RFD's near you who sell N140 loose, by the kg. Take your own tub. £62/kg iirc last time.

H
    Remember, being ignorant is not your fault. Staying ignorant is.

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Blackpowder

Now only 1 "piece of paper" for Black Powder". Printed on both sides.
    Purchase & Possess on one side & on the reverse To transport.
    Issued by your local constabulary (Explosives Officer).
    No sending off to get a separate "to transport" certificate.

Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"