Thread: I suppose I should introduce myself

I suppose I should introduce myself

My name is Alan, and I was kindly referred here by Northern Monkey, on another forum we're both members of. We were chatting, and I thought it would be interesting to get a British perspective on the various shooting sports. He wasted no time in mentioning this forum, so here I am.

About me...well, let's see. I live in a small town in northeast Ohio USA, in the Cleveland metropolitan area, more or less. I'm a Telecommunications Engineer (Cisco Voice) by trade, and all around tech nerd, I suppose. I've been in IT for ~15 years, or so.

Of course, I'm an avid recreational shooter, and enjoy all of the fun things that surround it. Oddly enough, the closest thing to an airgun that I own, is a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun that my wife purchased for me a few years ago, as sort of an homage to my favorite Christmas movie. I own a lot of regular firearms, but the kid inside of me felt cheated by not owning one of these fun little things. So, she surprised me for Christmas.

Anyway, I've browsed around for a bit, and you folks seem friendly enough. So...hi there!

Nowhere near that place I'm not allowed to mention
    Good to see you Alan.

Good crowd here so I hope finger it interesting

All the best

NM

Tank is offline Fat things go slowly up hills
    Morning Alan and welcome to the BBS. I hope you enjoy the forum, it's quite an amusing place at times! Take care,

Tank
    'What is the most frustrating thing about Police work?',(Commandant Lassard)
    'Not being able to carry hand grenades Sir',(Tackleberry).

Hello mate .

And welcome to the forum .

All the best .

Andy .
    " Never mistake kindness for weakness "

Welcome to BBS Alan

Welcome to the forum fellow shooter , although its titled Airgun BBS you will find sections on here for shotgun and rifle under" firearms".
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Welcome to the forum fellow shooter , although its titled Airgun BBS you will find sections on here for shotgun and rifle under" firearms".
    I noticed, just now! I'm fascinated by some of the differences. I could read these threads for hours.

Hi and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    Hi and welcome!
    Thanks! And on an unrelated note, that's a fantastic .22LR conversion you've got linked in your signature. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Subnet View Post
    Thanks! And on an unrelated note, that's a fantastic .22LR conversion you've got linked in your signature. I'm jealous.
    No problem, they are a good bunch of blokes on here! When you say conversion I take it you mean the AR? With the .22 kit it isn't accurate but good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    No problem, they are a good bunch of blokes on here! When you say conversion I take it you mean the AR? With the .22 kit it isn't accurate but good fun!
    I do mean the AR.

Do you have a dedicated .22LR barrel on it, or is it still chambered in 5.56? If the latter, yeah - it'll never be all that accurate shooting .22 out of a barrel that's a hair too big, with a 1:9 or 1:7 twist rate, but no matter. It's fun!

Over here, we tend to throw conversions in as more of a cost saving thing (I love mine), than anything else. 5.56/.223 - especially after recent unfortunate events, as if price and availability wasn't bad enough already - is becoming absurdly expensive. So if you just want to fart around on a Saturday, and you have a love for the AR platform and ergonomics, a .22 conversion is the way to go. I can buy a 500rd brick for ~$35/£22. All day fun, for a little bit of nothing. That would cost me ~$200/£123, if I was shooting milsurp 5.56. Sure using the conversion isn't as accurate, but I never seem to care.

With subsonic .22 and a suppressor (I think you guys call them moderators, just browsing around the forum?), there isn't much of a better way to spend an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Subnet View Post
    I do mean the AR.

Do you have a dedicated .22LR barrel on it, or is it still chambered in 5.56? If the latter, yeah - it'll never be all that accurate shooting .22 out of a barrel that's a hair too big, with a 1:9 or 1:7 twist rate, but no matter. It's fun!

Over here, we tend to throw conversions in as more of a cost saving thing (I love mine), than anything else. 5.56/.223 - especially after recent unfortunate events, as if price and availability wasn't bad enough already - is becoming absurdly expensive. So if you just want to fart around on a Saturday, and you have a love for the AR platform and ergonomics, a .22 conversion is the way to go. I can buy a 500rd brick for ~$35/£22. All day fun, for a little bit of nothing. That would cost me ~$200/£123, if I was shooting milsurp 5.56. Sure using the conversion isn't as accurate, but I never seem to care.

With subsonic .22 and a suppressor (I think you guys call them moderators, just browsing around the forum?), there isn't much of a better way to spend an afternoon.
    Yep 5.56 1/9 twist barrel, but I always have a grin even with the minute of coke can accuracy. And you're spot on about the ammo cost savings. It's one of the reasons I wanted the kit and stops the rifle from becoming a safe queen! Saved me a fortune and given me a lot of pleasure.

I do still put 5.56/.223 down through it fairly often, so it gets used.

Moderators is what us Brits tend to call our suppressors, same thing though.