Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamo Compact Storage?

Gamo Compact Storage?

Afternoon all, posting this with a big smile on my face as I have just come back from the gun shop with a brand spanking new Gamo Compact. I read alot of reviews and for the money it seemed hard to beat.
    Anyway I have seen the threads about the trigger modifications and will act on the advice given but I was wondering about storage when not in use. I have seen the recommendations about the Baikal being stored with the breech ajar but does the same go for the Gamo? How do other owners keep theirs between shoots?
    Any help much appreciated, Jon (reborn pistolier)

I think the reason behind leaving the pistols with the breech ajar is to prolong O-ring life. Maybe the Baikal suffers more from O-ring failure than most.
    Walther Dominator/Hammerli AR20FT / Webley Eclipse Mk 1/ Weihrauch HW40

No problems, thanks for the reply.

Mine lives in its carry case closed up untouched for months at a time. If it proves a little reluctant to compress/hold air a drop of oil in the cylinder inlet hole usually sorts it. Never had a problem with the breech seal.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Well there was no way I was waiting until Christmas to have a go so I set up a 6yd range in the house today to give it a try. Sadly it seems as thought there is a fault with mine. I know there is no safety but when the gun is cocked, loaded and then fired, you can feel the air venting from the side of the gun and the pellet has not moved at all. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there some thing I have missed before loading the pistol? Gutted to say the least!

Never had this problem with mine, I'd take it back if I were you.

Oh dear. That sounds like the sort of problem they had with this type of pistol when it was first introduced as the PR15. I had one back in 1989 and it leeked. I swapped it at the shop for a Crossman 1322 at the time. I thought that they had fixed the problems though as I bought a second hand Compact a couple of years ago and it has been perfect. A really great value pistol. I guess it might be worth giving it a squirt of Pelgun Oil and see if that make it seal. However, it could be that there is a small burr somewhere which has sliced the O ring on assembly. Such a shame that these sort of faults find their way out of the factories still.

ATB
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Odjick29 View Post
    Well there was no way I was waiting until Christmas to have a go so I set up a 6yd range in the house today to give it a try. Sadly it seems as thought there is a fault with mine. I know there is no safety but when the gun is cocked, loaded and then fired, you can feel the air venting from the side of the gun and the pellet has not moved at all. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there some thing I have missed before loading the pistol? Gutted to say the least!
    Sorry to hear this. I can imagine how you feel as I've just had to send back my HW45 ( broken spring) only bought in April. Should get it back today but you shouldn't have hassle with new guns. I don't think you're missing anything. Sounds like a seal fault to me. I bought my Compact second hand and touch wood its been great. If all you're doing is opening, loading, closing and firing thats all there is to it. I feel for you, but it'll have to go back. I personally would try a couple of drops of pellgunoil or magic9 oil in the air intake hole first. Pump the barrel arm to disperse and try some shots. It could possibly be that the seals are dry. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Cheers chaps, another trip to McAvoys for me.

Looks like we were posting at the same time Andy. You just beat me to the oil idea.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    . Sounds like a seal fault to me. I bought my Compact second hand and touch wood its been great. If all you're doing is opening, loading, closing and firing thats all there is to it. I feel for you, but it'll have to go back. I personally would try a couple of drops of pellgunoil or magic9 oil in the air intake hole first. Pump the barrel arm to disperse and try some shots. It could possibly be that the seals are dry. ATB. Pete.

When I took my old Compact to the gun shop with this problem a month or two back, this is the procedure they tried first, and it worked!

My one (1989 vintage) lived for most of it's life in the packaging it came in (Formed polystyrene and cardboard) In a wardrobe at the seaside - wooden bungalow. Often frozen as the bungalow is not heated. Only recently moved to a warmer house and put in a padded locked case. Seems fine.

Lovely gun BTW.

How tight is the pellet. I've had Compacts which don't like certain tight pellets and vent air out through the breech.

Remember, these are not the most powerful of pistols.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

The pellet did feel quite tight but they are the ones supplied in the box made by Gamo. I am of half a mind to keep the pistol and solve the problem myself, after all I was going to smooth the sear faces and change the adjuster screw anyway, plus dismantling the gun and doing a bit of maintenance means I will know the insides of the gun better. It's a difficult one as I don't think McAvoys had any more in stock so a replacement would have to wait 'til after Christmas and I was pretty much settled on my choice of gun.

Bit of an update. I am checking the gun over and it would appear as though the barrel and the breech to not meet. There is a good 5mm gap between the breech and the port. Anyone had this issue before?

hi there, open the gun and see how the barrel is fixed, might be u'll have to slacken the fixing screws and slide the barrel back a little ??? i could be wrong but i seem to think the barrel fixing bracket can go two ways as the holes arn't central on the fixing plate
    Last edited by gc93; 19-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.