Thread: UKAHFT rule

UKAHFT rule

A question was raised at a recent shoot by members of another club over the positioning of one of the targets as the kill could only be seen from the left hand side of the peg and that this was against ukahft rules.

Having gone through the rules on the ukahft web site I can see nothing regarding such a rule.

It does say that 50% of the kill must be viewable from the peg and the whole kill from 2ft from the peg and that it should be able to be shot by both left and right handed shooters. But nothing about from both sides of the peg.

Can any one clarify this?

Always best to clarify with Sparky or Pete Dutton but my take is 50% should be seen from the peg.
    All of the kill should be shootable from within 2' of the peg and where you may have a rh advantage, introduce a lh advantage elsewhere.
    Could be wrong though haven't brushed up on the rules lately!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Go on shooting the breeze and PM Scooby. You will get a definitive answer.

Too true especially as i think i was wrong and you have to be able to take it lh and rh from each peg it seems
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

I asked on shooting the breeze & Pete Sparkes reply was :

'If i have read this right its nothing to do with the 50% shot, if that is the case as long as you can see the full kill from one side of the peg that's fine, you don't have to be able to see it from both sides, but where possible when i set a course i try to do it.

Pete'

Sounds reasonable, i think you should ideally 'balance' the course with an opposing difficult shot ideally!

Thanks for your replies. This is what we thought but it puts doubt in your mind when another club challenges your course setting.

So the target including killzone & 10mm of plate was visible, but only from one side of the actual peg.. is that what you are saying ?

Quote Originally Posted by Burly View Post
    Thanks for your replies. This is what we thought but it puts doubt in your mind when another club challenges your course setting.
    Yes that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Burly View Post
    Yes that's right.
    Then yes, as i understand it, the target in question was perfectly legal. It's obscured shots that have to be made visible from coming off the peg. Doesn't matter if you can only use one side of the actual peg itself to see a target as long as it is clear from that side.

Pete Dutton said:

Lets take two examples to try to clear this up:

1) A target is set so that the full kill is visible when holding the left of the peg but only half the kill is visible from the right of the peg...... Under the current rules this is NOT an obscured shot as 100% is visible from the peg.

2) A target is set up so that 50% of the kill is visible from one side of the peg (or both) plus the full kill is visible 2ft off the peg on only one side (or both)......Under the current rules this is one of the 4 Obscured targets you are allowed on a 30 shot course.

I think you will find that 25mm kills cannot be obscured at any time.
    If UKAHFT rules apply to any given shoot, they should be upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhampton View Post
    I think you will find that 25mm kills cannot be obscured at any time.
    If UKAHFT rules apply to any given shoot, they should be upheld.
    But if you can shoot it from the peg & the full kill can be seen, irrespective of which side it is, then it is legal. If it is obscured from the peg either side then it's not, thats how I understand it anyway

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly L View Post
    But if you can shoot it from the peg & the full kill can be seen, irrespective of which side it is, then it is legal. If it is obscured from the peg either side then it's not, thats how I understand it anyway
    Taken in conjunction with PD's examples, seems like a reasonable interpretation that is applicable to any kill size.
    The shot should be capable of being taken clearly from either, or both sides of a peg. Whether the shooter is right handed or left, the placement should be such that both can shoot from the optimum side, or sides. Though from experience, is does not necessarily follow that they do so with equal difficulty. This is where aunty Spongeria's Yin & Yang balance carries some merit.
    Good question that's defined an acknowledged area of doubt.
    Good man.