Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms ProSport .177

Wink Air Arms ProSport .177

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here as I'm new to the forum.
    Now I don't usually do reviews, a) because I'm lazy, and b) because I'd rather be out shooting than sat on a computer ;-)
    That said I thought I'd do a review on this particular rifle as I was blown away with this rifle.

I've been shooting since I was a young lad, my first air rifle (that I remember) was a HW77 which I remember being unbelievably heavy...

Now I stopped shooting for a number of years due to lots of reasons but mainly being too busy with work, but in the last 3 years I have not stopped :-)

I have been using 2 main rifles, a HW100kt .177 and a BSA R10 Mkii .177 with great success however, if you've grown up with springers there's always something missing when using PCP's. Now don't get me wrong, I love both my main rifles, but there's something honest and humbling about spring piston air rifles.

I also use a HW97K in .22 which is currently being tuned but wanted another decent springer in .177. I went to my local gunshop in Chichester and enquired about ordering an Air Arms ProSport.
    As fate would have it, someone had just traded that exact rifle in that day, it hadn't even been priced.
    Obviously I jumped at the chance to buy this as I was about to order a brand new one.
    This particular example was in excellent condition despite being well used over the last 5 years (2007), some very light wear but very minor, consistently putting out 11.5ft lbs and looked sexy as hell with the dark walnut oiled stock.
    I took it straight out to my outside 60yrd range and began to have a play around (after I chucked a 3-9x40 hawke mildot scope on her).

I was amazed at the smooth cocking action and reassuring crunch of excellent engineering, the precise thud and finally the well placed shots delivered from this beautiful rifle.

Shot after satisfying shot, I placed pellet after pellet in half inch groups at 35 yards. Despite the conditions not being great (breezy), I really got the sense I could confidently know where the shot was going.

Now I really enjoy shooting springers and particularly a good stalk with one, this rifle will remain in my collection for years to come i'm sure, deadly accurate, beautiful craftsmanship, and superb consistency.
    I think every airgunner should own a springer and learn to shoot well with it and I have to say that the Air Arms ProSport HAS to be a serious consideration.

Pro Sport it is !

I think that you've made an excellent choice for a springer. I've had one, which by the way is also walnut and .177 cal. , for a little over two years. Since I have not shot it over a chronograph, I'm guessing that mine is shooting around 12 ft. / lbs. I've not done much to mine besides disassemble it, clean out the factory lubes, and re-lube it. It shoots great with no vibration at all.
    I believe that the Pro Sport is at the pinnacle of spring piston air rifles, with the design, looks, quality, and performance. I will keep mine too. In fact, I would also like to get one in .22 cal.
    God Bless,
    Scott

Fantastic!

I took her out earlier this evening, only for half hour...just thought I'd try my luck.
    I stalked upon a burrow under a row of huge conifers, just out the back of the house in the meadow...it was getting pretty dark but just made out the silhouette of a bunny, sitting upright right on top of the bank,40 yards, took a knee, clinical headshot...one bunny for the pot :-) what struck me most was the follow through..my cross hair was exactly where I left it and the smooth cycle left a smile on my face, this is an amazing rifle and it's renewed my faith even further in the pureism of springers, I can't recommend this enough.

air arm prosport

Your so so right about springers. I am 46, have owned a lot of guns. i currently shoot a full length Air Arms s400 which i have cleaned, polished, all the internals and trigger etc. I must be lucky and have a good one, because this thing is clinical in its shot placement, and i mean clinical when its in the sweetspot. But like you, i was brought up on springers, and would love to get a prosport .177 as im afraid i have become a brand snob, and will stay with Air Arms rifles. Happy shooting, mark

Nowt wrong with Air Arms Mark, they're actually on my doorstep in Sussex :-) that said, I do really like the Hw97 although mine developed accuracy issues after a couple of thousand rounds, it's currently being tuned by a chap at my local range. Quite strange really as I'm starting to hear more often that the stock spring is not great, some folks have said possible quality control issues??? None of that with the Air Arms Prosport ;-) it'll be interesting to do a detailed comparison between the 2 rifles when I pick her up Friday...

Ref Prosport and tuning of HW97k

Hi if your friends tuning does not improve your HW97 get a Vmach Kit I had one in mine and it transforms the rifle and should at least match your prosport. My 97k was .22 I have just part exchanged it 3 days ago to help fund a BSA r10 mk2 VC and I am missing it already
    mk2 rapid.22

Thanks Keithy,
    I did a review (seperately) of my newly tuned 97KT and I am one happy bunny (bunnies not so)! I am delighted with this rifle, p.s you won't go wrong with the R10! I'm also using one (mk2 shrouded barel with moderator .177) as my main hunting rifle. Deadly accurate and excellent fill capacity in the bottle, I've never had to refill in the field! And the stock is stunning with a few Coates of walnut oil :-) enjoy her
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

good write up bud

The Pro sport is one of the best looking air rifles out there, possibly even better than the legendary BSA airsporter

New used prosport

After having nothing but springers most of my adult life I was persuaded to buy a Daystate MK3 whic is a great gun but I soon decided pcp was not for me and I put it in a cupboard and have done no shooting for years. I recently had a baby and felt a bit tied down and needed an excuse to get out of the house and decided to sell it and buy a springer and was advised to go down the prosport route. Luckily I saw one on the AA site only four months old with some scopes etc and after some haggling a deal was made and a beautiful unmarked, as new walnut .177 prosport arrived. I haven't had time to use the gun yet and as I have been away from airgunning for a while I wonder if anyone can advise me on any maintenance I should perform prior to taking the gun out?

I had an AA Pro Sport. It looked very nice with its walnut stock, but it was really hard to cock. The undelever would not fully return to its recessed position.
    I also found it very hold sensitive. Also had a TX200 HC...a great gun imho much better than the overated, unreliable pro sport, with its flawed, weak cocking unit.
    Strange how you never see any older pro sports for sale, even though they must have been around for some 16 years. They simply dont last like a TX200 or HW rifle

I could not disagree more, I have a Prosport and a HW97kt, as well as a HW100, BSAr10 mk2 and an Air Arms s510tc, and I've got a tx200hc en route for Xmas from the mrs :-) my review was not a bias review from a Prosport 1 gun owner.
    I'm not suggesting you're wrong in respect of your own experiences but the reason you don't see many 2nd hand prosports around is for the exact opposite! People tend to keep hold of them.
    I don't find mine hold sensitive in the slightest, no where near as hold sensitive as my weirauch (97).
    You must have been quite unlucky to be honest but then I've had similar issues with my HW97 despite the overall consensus that they're one of the best out there, mine shoots lovely now but I've had a rocky start with her, now she's tuned and I've found the right pellets a cracking rifle...but not a patch on the Prosport ;-) I've just furnished her with a new hand made stock from Andrea Gentilini (ginb) :-)

Just a quick vid (slide show) of the new stock.

Ive had my .22 pro sport since 1998 never touched it apart from a wipe down after ive used it. its one of the only air rifles I own that I can pick up and it shoots straight right from the first shoot somtimes I need to give the scope a couple of clicks but this can be after 4 mounths without shooting it so nothing but praise from me I hope airarms keep up the standard we dont need anyone eles going down the pan .good review by the way.

I have a tx200 HC in 177 with a Rowan brass trigger guard. I couldnt resist the looks of the prosport however and got one in walnut. This gun deserved something special so this is on its way from Gnib:

Will post pics of the gun with this on once it arrives, Initial thoughts are that the PS shoots really nicely and very similar to the TX200, but cocking is rather more awkward, the price you pay for looks I guess!!

Both are really great guns and although I have a number of decent PCPs the springers always bring a smile on when shooting...
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin