Thread: hi another hw95k review

cottage in the gower in wales or in bartley green

Red face hi another hw95k review

hi all , about 2 months ago i decided to treat myself to a new air rifle , i have a webley xs tuned which is lovely , iv had a tx , and a lightning xl but which one and im on a budget as i dont shoot to often now , (wanted the new lgv maybe another time
    well went to my local gun shop and bought a hw95k , the new version with the improved cocking shoe and a new design breech lock ,
    well got it home mounted a scope 3-9x40 , started to zero it in at 30 yards , the gun looked quality , felt great and well made , then i cocked it and it seemed a little rough ,it just grated as i cocked it pushing the barrel back to lock it felt rough , carried on shooting and zeroing it in, (only took a few shots ) but it felt rough and very twangy ,
    i decided to get my webley out and shoot it as a comparison to my new gun , there was no comparison the webley smooth as silk the hw was just rough , i though maybee it will need a lot of wearing in, after 50 to 75 pellets id had enough it was getting worse so took it back to the shop . just my luck to get the only knackered hw in the world lol
    they were great , said they would stip it and service it , and would call me as soon as it was done , no arguing or messing , just really nice , they though the spring had broke !! thats how bad it got .
    well had a phone call went back and what a difference , smooth and slick , they changed the seal and spring , full clean and lube , a part of the seal had broke off and was stuck , causing the grating , !!! and it was as dry as a bone inside , wow fantastic gun to shoot , smooth cocking isnt the word, no twang and so accurate not even pellet fussy , can put anything through it and it groups under a 5 pence at 30 yards my m8 who is a better shot than me got a ragged hole group,
    the other thing is it is quiet , very quiet
    my piont is this , i have tried a few break barrells and the 95 is up there with the best if not the best when its right, apart from the lgv , for the money it should of been right from the off and not left the factory in that state, Weihrauch should check the qc
    hope you enjoyed my liitle story

Weihrauch cheque there QC lol. They dont care...... they keep producing guns (hw99) with well known faults for years(galling of the cylinder). Glad you got it sorted matey, but really the shop should not be pulling a new gun apart to fettle it.....think i would of insisted on another new rifle as a replacement. I have a 95 that is about 6 year old, and is sweet as a nut, never had the slightest problem with it...touch wood. Enjoy...by the way give falcon accuracy plus pellets a try my 95 loves em
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

hw95

hi , and i think your right i should of asked for another gun , and they should of chronoed it before they let me have it ,
    but a brand new gun in the box should have been ok , but you live and learn, i have tried the falcon accuracy pellets and it loves them
    they fit great in the barrell and there the pellet i use now ,

A while back I thought the 95 was a worthy successor to the 85 which I used a lot when I found the 80 getting a bit heavy. When fettled, they are great and my favourite medium weight rifle at that time. The Lightning XL (once fettled) was my favourite "take it along just in case" rifle too. Then I found the Brum Longbow which when fettled knocks the 95 into a cocked hat! The Stingray (I have a Venom Express) whacks the XL too!

A fettled HW50S is also a good contender in the lightweight category and our American friends love 'em!

Of course, one can't have everything (although some of our colleagues try hard to do just that!).

The LGV seems to be not very well received judging by the number being re-sold! Wait a little while for that until the Mk2 comes along and it's like it should have been!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Seems HW are not finishing their guns properly these days!

My 99s took a bit of work to get it cocking smoothly. Basic design and materials seem the usual HW good quality - they must be rushing them out without enough production quality checks.

Had enough comments about "should have bought a 95", but not suprised to see the 95 production is similarly affected!

My 99s was virtually dry inside when I stripped it. Only grease on spring was what looked like thin oil the spring manufacturer might have put on for rust protection.

Unless you are prepared to strip the gun yourself or pay for a custom tune from new it seems Weihrauch are joining the ranks of other mass production "don't give a damn about quality" factories. Whilst the Chinese factories are getting better, European producers are "dumbing down"!!!!!

hw95k

hi , i bought the weihrauch because the people i know swear by them , a friend has a 20 year old 77 and its lovely and shoots smooth as ever , but i think you are right there just turning them out and they probably think everyone will just have them tuned , which isnt really the point , i though perhaps mine was a one off , but now i get the feeling these problems are a bit to common , but all said and done it is now a lovely gun to shoot , glad you got your 99 sorted steve A

topdog i wish i could find a brummy long bow , but i do love my old webley xocet xs, and a lgv is still on my list , maybe in a year or so ill have one ,
    if they make a fixed barrell underleaver m i think aa and weihrauch will have some serious compertition

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    A while back I thought the 95 was a worthy successor to the 85 which I used a lot when I found the 80 getting a bit heavy. When fettled, they are great and my favourite medium weight rifle at that time. The Lightning XL (once fettled) was my favourite "take it along just in case" rifle too. Then I found the Brum Longbow which when fettled knocks the 95 into a cocked hat! The Stingray (I have a Venom Express) whacks the XL too!

A fettled HW50S is also a good contender in the lightweight category and our American friends love 'em!

Of course, one can't have everything (although some of our colleagues try hard to do just that!).

The LGV seems to be not very well received judging by the number being re-sold! Wait a little while for that until the Mk2 comes along and it's like it should have been!

atvb
    David
    A tuned version of any gun is going to be better so comparing a standard HW95 with a tuned Longbow isn't really fair is it? My experience -having owned lazaglided Longbows, HW95s 98s and currently owning an SFS Banshee is that they are pretty much the same with very similar handling and firing cycles. In fact if you blindfolded me and handed me a rifle ready to fire I don't think I would know what rifle I was using. That being said the Brum made Longbow is pretty special especially one with the ambi walnut stock. Very pretty, small and light self contained carbines and just SO good for lugging around all day. The problem with all of these light short springers for me is that no matter how well tuned they are, until recently I didn't feel that I had really mastered the muzzle flip. The only solution appeared to add weight by using the HW98 shrouded barrel. However now I can say that this problem is solved. I now have a heavy steel muzzle weight made by Jonny Neate on here and everything is just SO much better. This simple accessory also cures muzzle flip in the HW80 too and all without adding too much overall weight to your rig. Heavy rifles have their place of course. They add stability in the hold but for hunting and general use as opposed to target shooting, too much weight is a pain unless of course you are exceptionally big and strong or unless you regard lugging a rifle around as part of your fitness routine!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Well, just to counterbalance some of the above, a few months back I treated myself to a brand new HW95K in .177 and I've had no issues whatsoever.

The accuracy is exemplary: Zero'ing took just half-a-dozen shots and the firing behaviour is more than acceptable - just a hint of spring twang (if I'm being really picky) but absolutely no dieselling or roughness anywhere.

I love this gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    ...The problem with all of these light short springers for me is that no matter how well tuned they are, until recently I didn't feel that I had really mastered the muzzle flip. The only solution appeared to add weight by using the HW98 shrouded barrel...
    Tbh with you Nick, I reckon that's the real reason for the silencer on the latest HW95K. Let's face it: Silencers are otherwise pretty pointless on springers (for noise reduction anyway) and on my '95 there is no noticeable difference to the report whether the silencer's on or off.

Big difference to the handling, though...

Although IMO, HW could have achieved the same thing by just fitting the '98 barrel instead.