Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a HW35LGV

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Out of interest when can we start sending you our 35's to get done. I've got an old knacker of a 35 in my loft at the moment and its ripe for this kind of conversion. (mind you its running at 10.8ftlbs with Superdome with some unknown square section spring in there)?

Hi Coburn

Unfortunately I have no intension of converting 35s for others, the whole project was just to show how simple it would be for Weihrauch to upgrade the 35 using only 2 none standard components and a modified sear.

The finished gun also shows to some extent how efficient the 6mm long transfer port is as I doubt a 32cc swept volume would give 12ftlbs with a long transfer port as in the standard HW35.

This 35 now has a 25mm shorter stroke than the Walther LGV and is even 16mm shorter than the HW77 yet still produces the goods.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Mick

You have the same issue i do, superdomes are supremely efficient as are super H point, I would check for accuracy with domes and if they prove ok tune down to them,you need to get some 18gr JSB heavies and 19gr baracuda hunter extremes just to be sure. The gun will have become mores sensitive to head size on pellets now as mine has, H&N and RWS pellets are going to be best but stay with the smaller head sizes.

Great pics, looks just like a normal 35 from the outside
    Hi Tony

No need to worry I have fired off a few Baracudas and the gun doesn't like them --- 9.95ftlbs

Air arms fields are not much better --- 9.98ftlbs

So I'll have a play with the preload and piston weight and see if I can tune the gun for just Superdomes and Hobbies.

It's nice to have a gun that likes cheap pellets.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Tony

No need to worry I have fired off a few Baracudas and the gun doesn't like them --- 9.95ftlbs

Air arms fields are not much better --- 9.98ftlbs

So I'll have a play with the preload and piston weight and see if I can tune the gun for just Superdomes and Hobbies.

All the best Mick
    I let a mate shoot my 80 on sunday, he tested a few pellet types for me and highlighted the SuperDomes and SuperPoints were very efficient, i was shooting Bisley LRG's which he agreed were the most accurate out of what he tested too, in fact I watched him shoot off hand resting his front elbow, 6 pellets at 32yards and the group was less than a 5 pence piece in size with my .22 80...i wish i could shoot that well LOL

This redesign of the 35 looks to be bordering on almost ridiculously efficient and shows short transfer ports are the way to go, I wonder if Jim will drop your 35 on his recoilometer and see what it does?

I wonder if Jim will drop your 35 on his recoilometer and see what it does?
    He'd love to, if Mick's prepared to bring it to sunny Worcestershire.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    cheaper to ship the action then ship it back...

Hw35lgv

Mick

It was just me being cheeky but on a serious note I may have a cosmectically challanged .177 HW35 barrel stashed away in the loft. I'll have a look at the weekend!

Roadtrip !

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    It would be a pleasure to have you test it Jim and I'd be more than happy to bring it to you.

Would it be best to wait and see if Mr Coburn finds a .177" barrel or would you want it as is in .22" ?

I'm easy either way.

All the best Mick

I let a mate shoot my 80 on sunday, he tested a few pellet types for me and highlighted the SuperDomes and SuperPoints were very efficient, i was shooting Bisley LRG's which he agreed were the most accurate out of what he tested too, in fact I watched him shoot off hand resting his front elbow, 6 pellets at 32yards and the group was less than a 5 pence piece in size with my .22 80...i wish i could shoot that well LOL

This redesign of the 35 looks to be bordering on almost ridiculously efficient and shows short transfer ports are the way to go, I wonder if Jim will drop your 35 on his recoilometer and see what it does?

Hi Tony

After a bit more testing today I've found that the 35 only gives power with Superdomes or Napier Power Hunters

I don't realy like using the Napiers in springers as I'm sure the lube on them detonates and gives false readings but after trying every other type of pellet I have in my workshop without success I was amazed at the readings I got from them --- 580fps.

I'll try some proper Eley Wasps in the morning and see what they do.

Of course the pellet choice could change when I remove some preload --- and increasing the stroke a little could alter things as well.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Mick

It was just me being cheeky but on a serious note I may have a cosmectically challanged .177 HW35 barrel stashed away in the loft. I'll have a look at the weekend!
    Hi Coburn

I'd be more than happy to purchase a cosmetically challenged .177" barrel as I will be polishing the whole gun and fume bluing it when it's finished (I have to cover my welding up some how ).

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...6012006701.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1080235.jpg

All the best Mick

Hi Tony

After a bit more testing today I've found that the 35 only gives power with Superdomes or Napier Power Hunters

I don't realy like using the Napiers in springers as I'm sure the lube on them detonates and gives false readings but after trying every other type of pellet I have in my workshop without success I was amazed at the readings I got from them --- 580fps.

I'll try some proper Eley Wasps in the morning and see what they do.

Of course the pellet choice could change when I remove some preload --- and increasing the stroke a little could alter things as well.

All the best Mick
    Mick, its the size and fit of the pellets in the barrel, funny how we both found the same...i need to test some .177 domes in the .177 80 just in case now me thinks

All the best Mick
    Ah, my favourite two pellets. I seem to get excellent results with these from all my HWs. Domes for the longer stuff, Hobbies for rats and plinking.

And, yes, the price is always a bonus!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

They really start to shine when the swept volume is reduced, its actually a little strange and has to do with the pellet sizing (its all it can be)

Im going to pick a tin up tonight and see how they do for accuracy in the 80, they work really well in the D52K so im not worried if they are scatter gun but i do need to have them to hand for chrono work.

Also had a question off Mattyboy that i thought i would mention here, he asked if the tube we use needs honing, the short answer is it does not. The tube is high precision hydraulic steel tube and has near a dulled 1000 grit finish on the inner bore, every seal i have tested in this tube seals perfectly. Its also bang on 25mm ID, so a 25.2mm OD O ring works superbly (for those thinking of testing O rings maybe)

There are other sizes available, I have 30 down to 26mm and 28 down to 25 also and have some 26 down to 23mm on the way to have a play with a 95 with a super small piston.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    They really start to shine when the swept volume is reduced, its actually a little strange and has to do with the pellet sizing (its all it can be)

Im going to pick a tin up tonight and see how they do for accuracy in the 80, they work really well in the D52K so im not worried if they are scatter gun but i do need to have them to hand for chrono work.

Also had a question off Mattyboy that i thought i would mention here, he asked if the tube we use needs honing, the short answer is it does not. The tube is high precision hydraulic steel tube and has near a dulled 1000 grit finish on the inner bore, every seal i have tested in this tube seals perfectly. Its also bang on 25mm ID, so a 25.2mm OD O ring works superbly (for those thinking of testing O rings maybe)

There are other sizes available, I have 30 down to 26mm and 28 down to 25 also and have some 26 down to 23mm on the way to have a play with a 95 with a super small piston.
    Strange you mention about piston sizes, I was going ask the other day about how a smaller piston would be.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hw35lgv

Mick

Found it in the gge, its .177 std length, looks reasonably straight and someones polished the bluing off it and there is slight rust on the breech block which is stamped Edgar Bros Liverpool for us 35 anoraks out there.

Not sure what its worth in this condition, £22 posted?

Regards

P.S if you let BTDT have it as a .177 will he use it for the black art of Bell Target!!!! It would make an excellent Bell Target gun?

This tube sounds the business!

Very interested in how a super-small-bore 95 would work out. I guess it should be very, very sweet.

Out of interest, and I think that there may have been a thread on here a long, long time ago.....What material would be best for the piston, if custom making them, mild steel, stainless or maybe even aluminium? I assume we're going to be looking at synthetic bearings, so the metal bearing surface doesn't apply, so I assume only the piston rod will have to be some type of hardened steel.
    Just imagine a 23mm aluminium piston in a 95 with optimised TP and spring rate/preload. Should be unbelievable! I wonder if, with that sort of set-up, we may enter the realms of the piston maybe being too light and may require some extra ballast in the form of a heavy top hat, and maybe plenty of preload to combat recoil surge??
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!