Thread: Using my 1858 in anger for the first time

Using my 1858 in anger for the first time

Ok, so the 1858 is going to be used in anger for the first time this weekend and I was after some advice on loads. I've got the following :-

777 FFFG propellant (non negotiable due to Mrs!)
    Felt wads
    No 11 percussion caps
    .454 balls

Now I was going to start with 20 grains (volume) of 777 which would be covered with the felt wad then I would seat the ball. My question is what is the best lube to put over the top of the ball with 777 as there seems to be loads of varied answers on the internet..

Quote Originally Posted by Livefast123 View Post
    Ok, so the 1858 is going to be used in anger for the first time this weekend and I was after some advice on loads. I've got the following :-

777 FFFG propellant (non negotiable due to Mrs!)
    Felt wads
    No 11 percussion caps
    .454 balls

Now I was going to start with 20 grains (volume) of 777 which would be covered with the felt wad then I would seat the ball. My question is what is the best lube to put over the top of the ball with 777 as there seems to be loads of varied answers on the internet..
    If you're using felt wads under the ball, I see no reason to use any lubricant on top of the ball.
    I don't use wads just a ball/bullet and a dollop of Castrol LM2 on top. ( I use Castrol LM2 'cos I acquired quite a lot of it free) (Scotsman- short arms, deep pockets)
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

You are good to go with those components.
    I place the balls in a plastic bag add lube of choice and scrunch them around in it so they are evenly coated then load up and let fly

Enjoy, the 777 cleans up a lot easier than the black but gives the same effect in bang and smoke.

Have fun P.S 20grains good start point

Only thing about T7 is that it smells like the odour you used to smell as you went past the Tate & Lisle sugar-beet processing plant at Bury St Edmunds..

Cleans up with water - nothing else is needed.

Use wads? = NO gloop-over-ball, as the man says.

Stick to a load limit of around 25gr or so in most ordinary .44cal C&B revolvers. I tried 45gr of T7 in my Walker a while back, and actually detected an element of recoil for the very first time of shooting it.

T7 is powerful stuff that does NOT care to be compressed - see the notes in the maker's manual.

Enjoy!

tac, mrs tac, ig and ken the GFT

So thats good news then, glad the Mrs couldn't find the Trex in Morrisons today! I'll stick with what i've got and use no lube over the ball.

Will I need to use filler to get the ball nearer the top of the cylinder?, to be honest I just want to have fun with this session and worry about the finer points of accuracy later when I am used to the gun.

What the best way of avoiding compression Tac, I suppose it's being gentle with the rod as you shove it in, just like making love to a beautiful lady!

So thats good news then, glad the Mrs couldn't find the Trex in Morrisons today! I'll stick with what i've got and use no lube over the ball.

Will I need to use filler to get the ball nearer the top of the cylinder?, to be honest I just want to have fun with this session and worry about the finer points of accuracy later when I am used to the gun.

What the best way of avoiding compression Tac, I suppose it's being gentle with the rod as you shove it in, just like making love to a beautiful lady!
    Yes, you'll have to experiment a bit with whatever filler it is that you sue, semolina or cream of wheat, but try to get the ball as near the top of the chamber as you can - this means exercising a bit of care when loading, of course, but I'm sure that you do that anyhow.

I also shoot 26gr of Pyrodex P, and that and a ball uses the full stroke in my ROA, leaving less than an 1/8th inch at the chamber mouth without a wad. I can live with that. Wonder wads in this fair land are priced as though they were hand-cut from the robes of the Archangel Gabriel by billionaire dwarves using platinum scissors.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 29-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.

As tac alluded to 777 is pernickety about how much you compress it. They've changed their loading advice in recent times to be completely prescriptive about loads/the use of single wads/no filler etc. dependant on specific firearm. This could be a case of OTT arse covering but has made me change my loads to exactly what they suggest as I tend to always err on the side of caution when it comes to things that go BANG!

See here http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html
    It's all forgotten now, but Rockers and Mods only started fighting as the Rockers were annoyed at having some of their comments removed

I've got to agree with the wonderwads.....just got some to hopefully give me a painless transition into BP.

Does anyone know somebody who makes .454 lead balls for a reasonable price on here / other forums?

I've got to agree with the wonderwads.....just got some to hopefully give me a painless transition into BP.

Does anyone know somebody who makes .454 lead balls for a reasonable price on here / other forums?
    What do you consider is a 'Reasonable Price' for .454 lead balls?
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Well the shops around here range from £14 - £18 a hundred so I don't know, under a tenner. I guess the killer thing is postman pats cut of things.

I can cast them for about a three squid a thousand...

Prices of big-name ready-cast balls in this country are a load of balls. Rip-off doesn't even begin the scratch the surface.

Here is where Andy Allwood is your man - HIS prices get somewhat nearer reality.

tac

Well finally got down the range ....

http://youtu.be/U8-c4loqEBI