Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multishot adaptors are a pain in the butt.

Red face Multishot adaptors are a pain in the butt.

Well, second time since I've been using my R10 with multi-shot adapter, I forgot that I'd already cocked it!
    Cocked it again and ended up with two pellets stuck in the barrel.
    Whilst getting pissed with it trying to get the mag out I cocked it again!
    Finally got the mag out ( mag lock undone and bolt pulled back, dunno why it just wouldn't come out) and popped a rod down the barrel and a nice string of pellets appeared at the breach.

Spent the rest of the day with the single shot adapter installed.

Also forgot to bring my paper targets with me, so made do with sheets of A4 and a biro.

Mark

You should have bought a hw100. They only advance the magazine if you have shot the rifle so they won't put more than one pellet down the barrel
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I must be honest & say it concerns me that people can pay so little attention to what they're doing with a gun that they multi load it.
    Either only cock it immediatly before shooting it, or everytime you cock it, and only when you cock it, apply the safetycatch & use that to tell you if it's already cocked.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I must be honest & say it concerns me that people can pay so little attention to what they're doing with a gun that they multi load it.
    Either only cock it immediatly before shooting it, or everytime you cock it, and only when you cock it, apply the safetycatch & use that to tell you if it's already cocked.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by bfhb View Post
    Well, second time since I've been using my R10 with multi-shot adapter, I forgot that I'd already cocked it!
    Finally got the mag out ( mag lock undone and bolt pulled back, dunno why it just wouldn't come out) and popped a rod down the barrel and a nice string of pellets appeared at the breach.

Also forgot to bring my paper targets with me, so made do with sheets of A4 and a biro.

Mark
    Pleased to hear you managed to get it sorted. These things do happen to the small number of us on here who don't quite achieve perfection in everything we do
    Whilst some compromises in design/function can be expected with lower cost multi-shot systems (such as the add-on mutishot kit for the AA s200) it is very frustrating that more of the modern "dedicated" multishot guns like the R10 don't have a built-in facility such as that on the HW100, to prevent double loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    Pleased to hear you managed to get it sorted. These things do happen to the small number of us on here who don't quite achieve perfection in everything we do Whilst some compromises in design/function can be expected with lower cost multi-shot systems (such as the add-on mutishot kit for the AA s200) it is very frustrating that more of the modern "dedicated" multishot guns like the R10 don't have a built-in facility such as that on the HW100, to prevent double loading.
    Its not about achieving perfection, its more about basic gun control or the lack of it..

Surely if you are in control of a rifle you know if its loaded or not?

Sorry but this is very basic stuff.

I make no claim to be perfect, but your dig would apper to indicate that you don't place firearms safety above everything when handling guns

Every multi shot I have ever owned could be multi loaded but strangely I have never once done so, presumably because being military trained I had safety awareness instilled from the start.

How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    You should have bought a hw100. They only advance the magazine if you have shot the rifle so they won't put more than one pellet down the barrel
    A couple of weeks back, I took 6 pellets out of an HW 100, and that wasn't the first one I've seen. If the cylinder isnt tight, it will multiload. It's also possible to jam the mag in backwards, it wont work, but I've seen it done. Coincedently, half an hour later, I did the same with a BSA..... Magazines are the invention of the devil..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    Same with the Hatsan AT44 and BT65!

Quote Originally Posted by bfhb View Post

Mark

Don't worry about it as long as you learn from it, it still happens to me on the rare occasion. Anyone who says it don't or hasn't, either has selective memory or has not been shooting long enough.
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    A couple of weeks back, I took 6 pellets out of an HW 100, and that wasn't the first one I've seen. If the cylinder isnt tight, it will multiload. It's also possible to jam the mag in backwards, it wont work, but I've seen it done. Coincedently, half an hour later, I did the same with a BSA..... Magazines are the invention of the devil..!

Gus
    Worst one we got at the club was clearing 9 pellets out of a Brocock rifle barrel - which is pretty amazing, considering they only have a 6-shot mag!

I have also watched a guy with a multishot cock and load the rifle, and then rest the muzzle on his foot. When challenged he swore the rifle was unloaded and safe, Got the shock of his life when I asked him to point over the line and pull the trigger.

In a club environment there's no place for them: even with a rule to remove the mag before leaving the firing line there is still the doubt whether the rifle has been loaded or not before taking out the mag. I know of one club that bans multishot magazines altogether - single shot adapters only.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Worst one we got at the club was clearing 9 pellets out of a Brocock rifle barrel - which is pretty amazing, considering they only have a 6-shot mag!

I have also watched a guy with a multishot cock and load the rifle, and then rest the muzzle on his foot. When challenged he swore the rifle was unloaded and safe, Got the shock of his life when I asked him to point over the line and pull the trigger.

In a club environment there's no place for them: even with a rule to remove the mag before leaving the firing line there is still the doubt whether the rifle has been loaded or not before taking out the mag. I know of one club that bans multishot magazines altogether - single shot adapters only..
    Having never shot a civi club range, don't they have a range controler to clear all shooters/rifles before they leave the fireing point

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Having never shot a civi club range, don't they have a range controler to clear all shooters/rifles before they leave the firing point
    On an FT/HFT range there is a Chief Marshall, but you cannot see all shooters along the firing line, especially if the course of fire is laid out in woodland. It's the shooter's responsibility to clear their guns and carry in a safe manner.

Jerry

Having never shot a civi club range, don't they have a range controler to clear all shooters/rifles before they leave the fireing point
    Wouldn't work - Most springers could conceivably be 'checked clear'. But not PCPs, because the RO couldn't see if there was a pellet (or stack of pellets) seated in the barrel.

Also - Shooters are moving between firing points / joining or leaving the zeroing range - at arbitrary times.

Even 10M indoors isn't shot in 'details' AFAIK.

Multis - Realistically, one could only check if the mag' was in or out. And there is a 'mag out between lanes' rule.

Some single shot adapters are fixed, others are 'swing out'... To make all guns 'checkable' - Somebody would have to write a 'best practice' safety procedure for each and every rifle model & mag' / conversion.

Personally, I wouldn't use a gun for competition if I couldn't show it (relatively) clear - bolt open with red safety flag in the breech between lanes.

But that's because I came from SB and FB prone rifle shooting into FT.

So anyhoo, it is down to the shooter to 'know' himself (or herself), if he (or she) is clear.

For those who refuse to keep their bolt open (incase rain / grit / bad luck gets into the 'workings') - Pointing the gun down-range (not aiming it) and pulling the trigger just before 'getting up' is a pretty good 'last line' of defence. But it's not perfect (trigger could be 'sticky', safety catch could be on, etc etc...).

FWIW I think 'multis' are 10X more tricky / difficult to use than single-shot guns. Making them best in the hands of advanced users. Some can be 'de-cocked', some can't. They're always fiddly. And they're probably not ideal for outdoor competition use. IMHO.

I had a multishot which had to go back, as it wouldnt group properly. After a lot of investigation I established the magazine was not aligning properly with the breech and pellets were getting head damage when loading. I also managed the multi pellet shot but was aware of what I had done and was able to discharge it safely.

Single shot only for me from now on.....
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin