Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning Maxus 28 inch Composite

Browning Maxus 28 inch Composite

Bought a 3 1/2 inch Composite SH a few weeks ago. First impressions were very good, a decent case and a good range of extras that help you set the gun up perfectly. Comes with 2 x stock extension pieces, 6 shims for height and cast, a set of quality sling swivels, 6 foresight elements, 5 chokes and a 2 inch barrel extension come 1/2 choke. I added the 2 stock extensions pieces and raised the comb and gave it some LH cast with the spacers, very easy to do from the excellent instruction manual. The stock is of good quality and feels solid unlike the one on the 3 1/2 Browning Gold I used to own which was very tinny indeed. The barrel is finished in a non glare matt finish which is very good for a field gun as is the ability to fit a sling. Off to Kelbrook to shoot some Clays with the 1/4 choke fitted and the gun came into its own, it handles very well despite being a lightish gun and it still had momentum in the swing without a conscious effort to keep it moving. I used Eley VIP Trap 7 1/2 and it was breaking Clays at silly ranges and absolutely munching the closer stuff. The speed load is a great feature and despite being a relatively light gun I just didn't notice any recoil at all, it is a very soft gun to shoot. I put over 100 cartridges through it and not a single jam and the gun is like new so not really run in yet. All in all very impressed with it, a most complete package with a lot of adjustment for fit that is very well built and handles / patterns superbly. Very good value compared to the latest Beretta's, mine especially at £725 SH as it was almost unused. I really can't see what a £1500 Beretta Extrema can do that this can't and I am a big fan of Beretta's having owned a few 302/303/390. This is the best and most versatile semi I have owned without a doubt.
    Last edited by Spanner.; 28-12-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hi I have had both browning and beretta had nothing but trouble with the browning so changed back to beretta and have had no problems hope the browning keeps performing for you

Quote Originally Posted by amyo View Post
    Hi I have had both browning and beretta had nothing but trouble with the browning so changed back to beretta and have had no problems hope the browning keeps performing for you
    What model of Browning did you have?

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    just watch out for the trigger jamming on the second shot especially when guns had 50/60 cartridges through it, seems to be a problem with them, my mate had one and sent it back under warranty, came back with paperwork stating repaired under warranty and the other one was kelbrooks demo gun and from what I belive that is also being sent back under warranty as my mate made them aware of the problem. Hope yours is ok just going of what I have seen from them
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Shot plenty through mine, faultless. Best SA on the market imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    Shot plenty through mine, faultless. Best SA on the market imo.
    Been Pigeon shooting a couple of times with it and it is a fabulous Hide Gun, still no jams and munching long birds with just the 1/4 choke in it.

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    i got the carbon fibre in fac,very nice gun

Iv got a Maxus 31/2 inch magnum in camo for wild fowling .
    28"barrel . After a few trips it did develop a tendency to misfire
    for no apparent reason . Possibly the trigger is to blame . I carefully clean it after every trip .
    Not got to the bottom of it yet as not had the time .
    My pal who goes with me takes a 3 1/2 in magnum hatsan in camo .
    Less than half the price and goes bang every time .
    The Maxus had a massive amount of marketing when it came out , but in my view , does nothing the Hatsan doesn't do in a simpler , cheaper way !

me too

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    i got the carbon fibre in fac,very nice gun
    me too!!! looks the biz and works faultlessly
    Air arms s410 fac cz455 hmr17 cz style 22lr fac browning maxus carbon12g 5 shot

I got a 26" barrelled 3.5" magnum in duckblind in cammo about 8 weeks ago.

Done over 800 cartidges mainly on the spring drillings crows and pigeon.

I have to say I shoot a over and under much better, I have altered the stock in every way possible to suit but it don't fit me like a beretta but Im pretty big with long arms.

Anyhow in the first early stages I had a few jams but I found a few sharp edges inside so I smoothed them over with a diamond file and haven't had a jam since.

The gun is running in well, and is low recoiling now but there was definatley a run in period.

I have to admit I struggled like hell with it at first wondering if it was the fit of the stock as I was hitting birds and not killing cleanly, I swapped to 3/4 choke and bang that was it, anyone shooting pigeons and crows with one of these should definitely try 3/4 choke as Ive shot crows cleanly out to 60yrd.

maxus

i've just bought the maxus hunter 28inch barrel..if i have any problems, do i need to open and check for any sharp edges and smooth them out to prevent problems?

No mate you shouldn't do it was just mine had a small burr where a pin had been knocked in from the factory, but I couldn't be arsed driving 100 miles back to the gunshop where I bought it from for them to send it away to browning for 2 months, for a tiny little burr so I smoothed it out myself.

It was just the run in period of 250 rounds that it failed to fully eject a few shots it never failed on me just took a bit off running in, best thing to do is strip it to the core immediately and take all the factory grease from it and just run it with a light coat of oil on all bearing surfaces.

If you find any sharp edges just keep and eye on them like anything else, sharp adges on moving parts are never good.

Saying that on a £1150 semi you shouldn't need to be doing anything yourself, but touch wood my gun hasn't failed to cycle anything since.

maxus

ok brilliant, thanks for the advice :0

maxus

My mates had a maxus 3 inch chamber for 3 year's now never had a problem with it jammed a few times but on 65 mm cartridges. Great gun

Wow this is an old thread, I was going to comment and realised I already had.

Anyhow quick update my 3.5" mag has now shot over 1800 pigeons since I last commented, I realised if you stick to 32grm loads it will very rarely fail to eject or cycle only if the gun has shot over 200 shells in one session it may get the odd fail to eject but I just pull the shell clear of the slot and away I go.

I went out last weekend and shot a modest late season bag of 28 birds and the gun performed great.

I did gel in the end with her, nice gun 20bore weight and nice quick handling, shot a few geese the week before also.