Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bell Target Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Hi Bob, the 380's going beautifully as you would expect from the premier spring piston match rifle of all time

FWB's just don't compare

My favourite air rifle in my collection.

I am sure your beauty is also going strong.

Happy New Year Bob and to your nearest and dearest too ( talking about your wonderful collection )

oh and the family aswell.

Keep ringing that Bell old friend.
    Yup - my beauty is still performing and being well taken care of ( the Annie - of course!).

Happy New Year to you and yours ( rifles and family) - stay in touch - we need to meet up one day so the Annie's can have a chat!

ATB - Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    The beauty of Bell Target shooting is that it can be enjoyed with virtually any .177 air rifle.Our club members use everything from over 100 year old BSA's, plus meteors,classic webleys and weihrauch's right up to modern PCP rifles such as the S200/400,RN10 and Brocock contour - we even have a chinese QB79 fitted with dioptres detuned to 5ftlbs and is very accurate (although the trigger is by no means match quality it is perfectly useable).The most popular rifles are the recoiless spring piston match rifles of the 70's & 80's.

The key to this type of shooting is to have FUN regardless of your equipment although you soon get bitten by the competetive bug (Well I have )

We even shoot pistols - again with a wide variety of equipment from all ages and formats.

Best advice I can give is to get along to your local club and try as many different types of rifle before you buy - Most clubs also have "Club Guns" that you can use if you do not own your own rifle.

By far the friendliest shooting sport I have been lucky enough to take part in.
    Agreed totally dont wite off Bell Target at vintage only ther is room for all types of rifle new and old providing they are not to over powered for this sport (remember as you shoot against a metal plate you dont want every shot hitting you as well).

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.h View Post
    Bell target popularity does seem to be gaining momentum at the moment.

I know rules can vary: No PCP, spring only categories, etc, but was wondering what popular entry to mid range level rifles are used.

I have noticed that the AA S200 is now available as a target model at 6ftlbs.

Kind regards,

Phil
    With so many small variations in local bell target rules the first thing to consider perhaps is the rules that apply to the league you choose to shoot it as this could have a strong bearing on what would make a sensible choice of bell target rifle for you to consider.

Your own club RMTC has posted on it's site the rules for what will be our local bell target league - The East Lancashire Bell Target League.

This league is based around the Classic Match Air Rifles and so should generate a similar ( or better response ) in this aera to that already acheived by the MPL.

John and I have already made the first backstop for testing its suitability for use in our church hall, and if all goes well we will be shooting there to the East Lancs rules within a few days time.
    Last edited by zooma; 18-01-2013 at 11:31 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by diipii View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Bell Target has to evolve if it is to survive and prosper.
    The league closest to Worcester has been going since 1907, and is going strong. We use full power recoiling springers only with open sights, and most folk shoot HW's or TX's or Prosports, with a smattering of older stuff like RB Airsporters and HW 80's, so are true to the sports roots in respect that they are pretty much off the shelf guns (obviously with added open sights on the Air Arms) just as they were back in 1907.

There are plenty of younger shots (under 21's) and we also have an all ladies team in the league.

Any form of shooting aid is banned ie. no funny jackets and shoes so it is a relaxed atmosphere, and is shot in a good variety of local pubs and village halls;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7631530525209/

As others have said, league rules vary from location to location, so guns can be all sorts.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Imho, belltarget is an oldie discipline, and should stay that way.
    So every oldie you can get yr hands on! I'd use my 2 Webley mk3's if we had any belltarget over here.
    The AA200 has been on the market in 7.5J trim a looooooong time now.
    Imo, its too light/short for serious standing shooting.
    We had the Dutch HFT team on our belltarget range at the Kelmarsh game fair last April, they couldn't believe we had teams in leagues, shooting in pubs over here, you should look into setting it up over there. Just check out power of rifles, to prevent excessive rebounds. http://www.belltarget.com/

Welcome to BBS.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    With so many small variations in local bell target rules the first thing to consider perhaps is the rules that apply to the league you choose to shoot it as this could have a strong bearing on what would make a sensible choice of bell target rifle for you to consider.

Your own club RMTC has posted on it's site the rules for what will be our local bell target league - The East Lancashire Bell Target League.

This league is based around the Classic Match Air Rifles and so should generate a similar ( or better response ) in this aera to that already acheived by the MPL.

John and I have already made the first backstop for testing its suitability for use in our church hall, and if all goes well we will be shooting there to the East Lancs rules within a few days time.
    Does this ring a bell with you Phil

This was my reply to one of your questions that referred you to your own club site to check the rules for the East Lancs Bell Target League - the one we hope to be shooting in together with the Rivvy lads.

Take a look at them - I have added a link to my signature to make it easier for you to find